Disabling lights while running

AKNeal

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; 2017 JK Chief
I live in the interior of Alaska and on the weekends in the winter the wife and I like to drive out to a secluded areas with no light pollution to watch the aurora. We went out tonight and I could not figure out how to turn off the dash lights or running lights while the vehicle was on. Tonight we just shut down the engine for a little but since it was a warmer night, but it was still -5 where we were parked. However, shutting off the engine at -40 is not really a possibility in the remote locations we travel to. Does anybody know how to go about shutting off all the lights (interior and exterior) in the JL without turning the engine off?

Thanks!!
Sponsored

Zistrum

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR Picked up 5/10/21
I would assume you'd have to trick the photocell into thinking its daytime?

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x
pull up the e brake i think

Sponsored

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I am also interested in this ability. I have a 2021 JLUR and would like to run the engine while I am parked without any exterior lights coming on.

Any ideas that don't involve the Tazer? I would be willing to make a permanent modification if it is easy to do.

Ideally, if I could just turn the light dial switch to Off and if it would turn off the daytime running lights, that would be perfect.

Alternatively, I could hardwire in a switch to turn the daytime running lights and I would remember to turn them back on again.

IslandNomad

First Name
Islander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Some experiments from today on my 2021 JLUR with stock LED lights:

During daytime:
If the car is in Park and the emergency brake is pulled up, the daytime running lights go off and no exterior lights are on.

During nighttime:
If the light switch is set to Off and the car is in Park and the emergency brake is pulled up, the daytime running lights go off BUT the main headlights have an outer LED ring that light up at a low intensity. They are much less bright than the Low or High beams but still on. Pics are attached.

I would like to be able to completely turn off all exterior lights while parked and with the engine running if possible.

signal-2022-02-08-205134_001.jpeg

signal-2022-02-08-205119_001.jpeg
Sponsored