Sponsored

Differential Cover, Which one is better?

RockinMarine

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL, Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired Marine/ Techician for Disney
I watched all of them and he goes on and on how flat back covers and increased capacity cause temperature increase and viscosity loss. Where is the data to support it? I have 5 years worth of my own data running a Mag-Hytec and towing 8-9K with a F150 45% of its life and they do not agree with his position at all. Look at the amount of aeration that occurs within a OEM clear cover - and "somehow" a flat back somehow produces more to the point of detriment? I said it at the start of his video series it was nothing more than a marketing campaign and it is still exactly that. Let us not forget these are two gears turning at 90° to each other. The amount of shear forces are incredible and no cover is going to change that. Sorry, but Banks did not "prove" anything and additionally, had he NOT produced a new cover, I would have been more inclined to listen to his position because it would have been objective. At this juncture, it is anything but.
There is one thing I noticed in these threads other than a lot of information being shared, and allowing each person to judge for themselves what answer is correct or not. And that is those who post a biased response to information someone else has posted. Ill give a simple example of this.

I noticed when I had a Death Wobble, I started to look at solutions to my problem. I saw that Synergy systems had a product that marketed a fix to this solution. As I did more and more research, I came across a company called Steer Smarts. And I found a video of someone with a GoPro mounted to the bottom of their Jeep showing track bar flex, and Drag link flex. So the issue was obvious, and the solution even more obvious. Then I found a video showing a pressure flex test on the OEM drag link, and track bars. Then a test showing the Steer Smarts test. But they also showed other company parts tested. And it was clear this might be a biased test to market their product.

So I contacted Synergy systems, and asked if they had performed tests to show flex tension of their parts. And the CEO of Synergy systems not only had a tantrum on social media, but went on a campaign to have me removed from the forum on social media. So it only showed that not only did the 1st company discredit them, the competition company could not respond except to discredit the tests others performed, and attack the customers who made legitimate questions.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
There is one thing I noticed in these threads other than a lot of information being shared, and allowing each person to judge for themselves what answer is correct or not. And that is those who post a biased response to information someone else has posted. Ill give a simple example of this.

I noticed when I had a Death Wobble, I started to look at solutions to my problem. I saw that Synergy systems had a product that marketed a fix to this solution. As I did more and more research, I came across a company called Steer Smarts. And I found a video of someone with a GoPro mounted to the bottom of their Jeep showing track bar flex, and Drag link flex. So the issue was obvious, and the solution even more obvious. Then I found a video showing a pressure flex test on the OEM drag link, and track bars. Then a test showing the Steer Smarts test. But they also showed other company parts tested. And it was clear this might be a biased test to market their product.

So I contacted Synergy systems, and asked if they had performed tests to show flex tension of their parts. And the CEO of Synergy systems not only had a tantrum on social media, but went on a campaign to have me removed from the forum on social media. So it only showed that not only did the 1st company discredit them, the competition company could not respond except to discredit the tests others performed, and attack the customers who made legitimate questions.
Pretty much par for the course with those guys. That's why they'll never get a penny from me.

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Most of the nodular iron covers are pretty decent but I prefer the ARB due to the dipstick.
What I would NEVER run is anything aluminum. Far too prone to fracture up front if you really use them.
I loved the look of my Dana covers but the front cover DANA plate looked bad after 6 months. It looked sandblasted.

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Nice comparison and very informative. I was considering aftermarket covers but now have changed my mind. I will stick with the factory steel covers as increased fluid compacity evidently takes longer to warm up and longer to cool down no advantage there. Iron (like an iron skillet) holds heat for a long time and heat is the enemy. If I were to choose, I believe it would be the advantek because it mimics the factory design inside the cover and no dip stick for interference of flow. At least the video lets you make your own choice with info provided.
Sponsored