Diesel sound?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You would think the fuel injection system would be considered powertrain but the dealer most likely protected themselves against the fuel injection system. I know on the 6.7 Cummins the fuel filter installed is a little over $400. It's a lot of money. I will have to see what the 3.0 filter plus install will be, If you don't have the dealer do it make sure you at least buy there filters around the date of install to have records of the change.
Really? Oh no...that's not good because I was told that the Gen 3 EcoDiesel fuel filter is the same as the Cummins for 2020. And, the owners manual states to replace it every other oil change, which means I'd have to change it once per year. Ouch.
Sponsored

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
Really? Oh no...that's not good because I was told that the Gen 3 EcoDiesel fuel filter is the same as the Cummins for 2020. And, the owners manual states to replace it every other oil change, which means I'd have to change it once per year. Ouch.
I don't know about the 2020 Cummins it may use the same filter. The newest I have in the fleet is a 2019's and oldest is a 2017. I don't know will find out how much of it is labor compared to the filter cost. On the Cummins its changed about every 2 oil changes that would be about 20,000 miles. There is a fuel filter % reminder that comes on when its due. I always have them do the oil change and fuel filter while there under warranty. I sell them off after 100k to keep warranty on the trucks.

service truck.jpg

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK
You would think the fuel injection system would be considered powertrain but the dealer most likely protected themselves against the fuel injection system. I know on the 6.7 Cummins the fuel filter installed is a little over $400. It's a lot of money. I will have to see what the 3.0 filter plus install will be, If you don't have the dealer do it make sure you at least buy there filters around the date of install to have records of the change.
Just serviced mine at the 2500 mile mark but it was just oil the filter was $97 and the oil is $10 a quart so $200 just for oil service and I did the work.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Just serviced mine at the 2500 mile mark but it was just oil the filter was $97 and the oil is $10 a quart so $200 just for oil service and I did the work.
I am not paying that, no how, no way. I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do, but they are not going to rob me like that.

I'll most likely utilize bypass filtration and design and source a synthetic drop in filter myself before I pay that kind of money 2-3 times a year. Makes me sick how they gouge people. That damn filter should cost $3-10 at the parts house. I could see them getting away with $20 at the dealer. $10 a quart oil that I refuse to believe is anything special will not be going in this engine. LOL, no effing way.

If we ever get our Jeep that is......

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
The oil filter is $38 online and the oil is $56 at my local Walmart. My dealer quoted me $250 for an oil change, but I can do it myself for $100 at home with the exact same parts. WTH?

Sponsored

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK
The oil filter is $38 online and the oil is $56 at my local Walmart. My dealer quoted me $250 for an oil change, but I can do it myself for $100 at home with the exact same parts. WTH?
What’s the part number please and where did you find it

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
What kind of oil did you put in at $10 a quart? why did you change it at 2500? Holy crap. I charge $3.67 a quart for semi synthetic and $5.57 for full synthetic. I buy by the 55 gal drum but still.

Buttercup 3.0

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR 2012 JK
What kind of oil did you put in at $10 a quart? why did you change it at 2500? Holy crap. I charge $3.67 a quart for semi synthetic and $5.57 for full synthetic. I buy by the 55 gal drum but still.
The oil is a Valvoline 5-40 full synthetic euro. And I changed it because when I checked it the oil was just touching the dip stick and black as night I know that the black is normal but for me I’m not waiting 10k miles for the first oil change and as low as it was I’m glad I didn’t wait.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i had to test drive the EcoDiesel after reading some complaints about the alleged noise.

i could detect the Diesel 'klatta' when not on the accelerator, but honestly could barely hear it over the wind and (mud) tire noise when i actually test dove a Willys.
reports of how it was too loud to talk over when accelerating seem like total fabrication to me, and that's not just because i drove old diesel Benzes for years.

mines on order. just got the Build Sheet and Window Sticker this week, and am looking forward to it.

taking care of the oil is critical with a turbo, and a deisel does terrible things to the oil with its high-compression and blowby. 9 qt oil changes are just part of the game when you're playing with a turbocharged high-compression diesel. (note: Mercedes used to manage keeping good oil by requiring oil changes much more often on its turbo-diesels.)

i typically run RedLine oil as it's always treated me right in high-demand conditions ranging from high-speed highway and low-speed rock-crawling in extreme temps, and it even survived racing custom turbocharged rotary motors. glad to see it not only meets or exceeds the standards for FCAs EcoDiesel, but FCA even has it listed as an approved oil for the EcoDiesel.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
The clatter is more pronounced in the first mile when you take it out for the first drive of the day, that is when the engine is cold. When heated up to optimal temp, it gets pretty silent.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I'd like to correct this old post of mine. Shell Rotella T6 does NOT meet the specs required for the Gen 3 diesel engine. Any 5W40 oil that meets API SN will do, and they recommend that it also meets FCA MS-12991.

As far as filters go, dieselfiltersonline.com is still the best source I know of.

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
i had to test drive the EcoDiesel after reading some complaints about the alleged noise.

i could detect the Diesel 'klatta' when not on the accelerator, but honestly could barely hear it over the wind and (mud) tire noise when i actually test dove a Willys.
reports of how it was too loud to talk over when accelerating seem like total fabrication to me, and that's not just because i drove old diesel Benzes for years.

mines on order. just got the Build Sheet and Window Sticker this week, and am looking forward to it.

taking care of the oil is critical with a turbo, and a deisel does terrible things to the oil with its high-compression and blowby. 9 qt oil changes are just part of the game when you're playing with a turbocharged high-compression diesel. (note: Mercedes used to manage keeping good oil by requiring oil changes much more often on its turbo-diesels.)

i typically run RedLine oil as it's always treated me right in high-demand conditions ranging from high-speed highway and low-speed rock-crawling in extreme temps, and it even survived racing custom turbocharged rotary motors. glad to see it not only meets or exceeds the standards for FCAs EcoDiesel, but FCA even has it listed as an approved oil for the EcoDiesel.
Where did you find the fca approved oil list

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
frustratingly enough, i can't remember or find that link now (on a different computer), but it was on an FCA site, and it changes as oil blends change. the list in the link that @Oilburner linked to seems too short; just a subset of the Approved list, and the current 'dynamic owners manual' doesn't even have a reference for a 3.0L,... :facepalm:
i'll post the link if/when i find it again, because it's going to bug me now until i do.

most importantly to us, the Owner Manual lists these requirements:

"We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such as Mopar that
meets FCA Material Standard MS-12991 and the API SN engine oil category
is required."

(until/unless Jeep supersedes it with something else,) MS-12991 SN oil is the key to look for.

Where did you find the fca approved oil list
Sponsored

Last edited: