Diesel Resale Value

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Random question here. Any concerns with resale value on the diesels?

Thinking about trading from the turbo 4 rubicon recon to a diesel Sahara.

wondering about Diesel resale.
Sponsored

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
Typically a diesel vehicle holds its value better than its gasoline counterpart. However, only time will tell in this case since the reliability of the Gen3 engine hasn't been established yet.

There have been a couple threads where folks have had some problems, and it's quite common for people to perceive a certain reliability based on these threads. You have to consider how many people only lurk around the forums and never make a peep that have never had trouble. Hell, I'm sure quite a few owners don't even know what a forum is. I'd be interested in a thread poll that asks a simple, "How many issues have you had after X miles". I think you'd see a strong percentage with zero problems. Even then... You'll have people that never joined because it's easier to browse, and won't vote.

I'm my case, I have 1,100 miles in on my Willys Ecodiesel and am absolutely loving it. I drove across Michigan a couple days ago and averaged 29 MPG with most of these miles running ~65 mph. The range tied with seemingly endless torque is hard to beat. Yes, it's new, but I've had zero hiccups.

Also, I'm not a big people person, so getting to pump fuel at pumps away from others is a perk to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Typically a diesel vehicle holds its value better than its gasoline counterpart. However, only time will tell in this case since the reliability of the Gen3 engine hasn't been established yet.

There have been a couple threads where folks have had some problems, and it's quite common for people to perceive a certain reliability based on these threads. You have to consider how many people only lurk around the forums and never make a peep that have never had trouble. Hell, I'm sure quite a few owners don't even know what a forum is. I'd be interested in a thread poll that asks a simple, "How many issues have you had after X miles". I think youd see a strong percentage of zero problems. Even then... You'll have people that never joined because it's easier to browse, and won't vote.

I'm my case, I'm 1,100 miles in on my Willys Ecodiesel and am absolutely loving it. I drove across Michigan a couple days ago and averaged 29 MPG with most of these miles running ~65 mph. The range tied with seemingly endless torque is hard to beat. Yes, it's new, but I've had zero hiccups.

Also, I'm not a big people person, so getting to pump fuel at pumps away from others is a perk to me.
Thanks so much for sharing I appreciate you input. I have I ELY had my recon for 6 weeks. Lol. Love it but really should have waited for a diesel.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Thanks so much for sharing I appreciate you input. I have I ELY had my recon for 6 weeks. Lol. Love it but really should have waited for a diesel.
So far I have had zero problems with my diesel. I just hit 7,000 miles on the jeep. The only problem I had was right after I purchased the jeep. A sensor for the emission system wasn't screwed in and it threw a code. Once that small bump was solved there have been no problems. I love the milage, only wish it had a bigger fuel tank. Other than that, perfect.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
So far I have had zero problems with my diesel. I just hit 7,000 miles on the jeep. The only problem I had was right after I purchased the jeep. A sensor for the emission system wasn't screwed in and it threw a code. Once that small bump was solved there have been no problems. I love the milage, only wish it had a bigger fuel tank. Other than that, perfect.
How far can you go on a tank?

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Zero problems with mine. Knock on wood.

500+ on a highway trip.

People seem to be getting 28 to 32 on highway. I saw one post of the EVIC showing 42. No idea how he got this mileage.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How far can you go on a tank?
I drive about 110 miles a day with 6,000 feet descent and return. The last 9 miles is on a twisty mountain road with 2,500 feet of elevation gain. Even with that I can get 450 miles on a tank of diesel. I was with a local 4x4 club just before the pandemic and I filled the jeep, drove up the mountain to home, about 30 miles, then another 40 miles. We did Oroflame canyon as a loop, all in 4x4 high. The fuel gauge moved less than 1/8 of the tank. Other people in the group used over half a tank for the same run.

OP
OP
jeme

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I drive about 110 miles a day with 6,000 feet descent and return. The last 9 miles is on a twisty mountain road with 2,500 feet of elevation gain. Even with that I can get 450 miles on a tank of diesel. I was with a local 4x4 club just before the pandemic and I filled the jeep, drove up the mountain to home, about 30 miles, then another 40 miles. We did Oroflame canyon as a loop, all in 4x4 high. The fuel gauge moved less than 1/8 of the tank. Other people in the group used over half a tank for the same run.
Wow, that is awesome! Do you do your own oil changes or using Jeep Waves?

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unless they F it up.
I have been using San Diego Chrysler jeep for over 18 years for the 1991 XJ, 2016 GC and now the 2020 Rubicon. The work performed there is high quality and on time. They have never done me wrong. It's good to know a repeatable dealership.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
11,100 miles on mine, about 1500 of which have been off pavement. Zero issues despite wheeling the piss out of it, including over 100 water fordings, highest being about 40” (on 37s with 2.75” lift). I am still not thrilled about all of the emissions-related electronics under it, but a couple hours with a roll of silicone tape under there was cheap insurance which hasn’t failed yet.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Resale will be interesting to watch on these. On one hand, the Gen 2 engines were such garbage that you can't hardly give those away. On the other hand, this is a new engine design and it's the first use in a Wrangler. So it'll be interesting to see if they hold value over time or not.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Only time will tell... everyone Here can say “oh mine works great” Yea at 500 miles anything is going to work great. 70k miles, we’ll see same goes for 2.0 heads at that milage mark. “I dont plan on keeping the truck that long” is not a good enough excuse for shitty engineering.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only time will tell... everyone Here can say “oh mine works great” Yea at 500 miles anything is going to work great. 70k miles, we’ll see same goes for 2.0 heads at that milage mark. “I dont plan on keeping the truck that long” is not a good enough excuse for shitty engineering.
My 2016 GC diesel has almost 90k on the engine. Besides the hiccup with the California emission "upgrade" the engine has been very reliable. Some of the issues with the original emissions change have been worked out by the newest modifications. At least for me the diesel has been and remains a good investment.
Sponsored