Sponsored

Diabolical Slipstream install - recent experiences?

fightingmajor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited Punk'n Orange
I really don't think there will be an issue with the soft top rubbing on the top of the slipstream. The same issue would occur while not using a Slipstream and having the soft top rest in the recesses. Even though it is locked down in that case, there is still enough play for it to bounce a little. By shortening the tie down rails, the soft top rests flat against the width of the Slipstream and does not contact the sharper/narrower tie down rails. That was my main issue with the current set up. You will also be able to bungee or secure the soft top to the tie down rails to limit any movement.

The other thread is here - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...m-install-and-review.25474/page-2#post-653136
This is the area that will constantly be rubbing on the slipstream that I was referring to.

IMG_0536.jpg
Sponsored

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That's the same area the top would be constantly rubbing if there was no Slipstream installed. Once secured down by bungees or other means, there will be minimal rubbing. If you are trying to eliminate all rubbing, you are going to need to remove the soft top! If you are that concerned with this area, maybe a pool noodle or other padding can be temporarily installed while the top is folded.

Here's a quick video (no sound) I made of testing the prototype soft top cover. The soft top was not secured/locked down and there was limited bouncing of the unit. Be advised, there are additional updated being made to the cover as this is not the 'final' version.

fightingmajor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited Punk'n Orange
That's the same area the top would be constantly rubbing if there was no Slipstream installed. Once secured down by bungees or other means, there will be minimal rubbing. If you are trying to eliminate all rubbing, you are going to need to remove the soft top! If you are that concerned with this area, maybe a pool noodle or other padding can be temporarily installed while the top is folded.

Here's a quick video (no sound) I made of testing the prototype soft top cover. The soft top was not secured/locked down and there was limited bouncing of the unit. Be advised, there are additional updated being made to the cover as this is not the 'final' version.

Actually a little piece of pool noodle on those corners isn't really a bad idea if one could figure out how to make it stay on.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
This doesn't solve the issue of the soft top corners rubbing on the top of the slipstream as seem in the last picture. Would you mind posting the link to the other thread?
This doesn't solve the issue of the soft top corners rubbing on the top of the slipstream as seem in the last picture. Would you mind posting the link to the other thread?

This solves that problem, Also I use two velcro straps that I put on the top when down, it better secures the top then when locked down

Put the Soft top on this weekend while at it I took off the tie down rails and cut them back to 22.5" and re applied the edge trim. They were easy to cut down with a hacksaw and dremel to round and smooth edges. then used some self etching primer, black paint and a artist paint brush to paint the edges you would never know it was cut. This gives plenty of leeway for the soft top.

with reports and concerns of wear on the soft top where it is in contact with the slipstream I ordered self adhesive 1/4 neoprene pads and stuck them to the slipstream under the corners where the top meets the metal, this provide a nice cushy resting place for the top with no chance of damaging the soft top.

Pictured below 22" cut down rails
Slip%20mod%205_zpsbimzt2lr.jpg

1/4" Neoprene padding for soft top at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07483R2GF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

slip%20mod%203_zpsedntu5ry.jpg

Slip%20mod%204_zpsjxygqgxq.jpg

slip%20mod%201_zpswlha86sy.jpg

Last edited:

Tannerdc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 upgraded (?) to a 2020 JLUR
Just got my Slipstream installed w my softop and overall very happy. I haven't cut down my tie down rails and my soft top is 1/4" away from being able to remove from guide tracks. For those who have cut down the tie down rails, can you remove your top from the guide rails once the tie down rails are cut down to 23"?

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Just got my Slipstream installed w my softop and overall very happy. I haven't cut down my tie down rails and my soft top is 1/4" away from being able to remove from guide tracks. For those who have cut down the tie down rails, can you remove your top from the guide rails once the tie down rails are cut down to 23"?
I have not removed my soft top so (only installed with the slipstream in place) I cannot answer the removal question with fact however I was able to install my soft top with the slipstream in place, whereas I unlocked the top prior to installing and it only took a little force (actually more like a second person to lift and pull the top at the back a little) to get the rollers in I assume the same for removal. So basically there will not be any need (or way for that matter) to ever lock the top. I cut the rails simply to protect the top as well as added the Neoprene pads per my post. To secure the top I have velcro straps as well as a J-tops boot for times when I will have the top down for long periods or long high speed travel

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I ordered a Slipstream XLS for my 2019 JLU Sport S on Feb 8th and installed it last week. I am really happy with it and the install was pretty straight forward (~ 3 hrs). I don't have the sub woofer or a soft top but here is my learning's with the hard top.

The alignment of the actual covers was very easy but there is a bit of alignment with the wing cover. You put in two of your hard top screws and then there are two openings for the hard top pins (in red). One is completely covered by the wing cover and one is not. Just need to make sure the wing cover does not slide too far forward to partial cover the hole as the hard top fit is pretty snug. Also for the hard top there is a corner flange that attaches to the wing cover (in green) that is not installed with a soft top. One change I made is there a nice cover for the hard top rear wiper connections but the cover is held in place with one of the 7/16th nuts which require a wrench to remove ~ I replaced it with a wing nut instead. I would also recommend having a 7/16 offset ratcheting box wrench as some of the nuts are not accessible with a socket.

I drove it a few days without the hardtop but had to put the hardtop back on because of the weather. It is real flexible to use. Without the hardtop the Slipstream is a secure trunk and you have complete access to the back of the jeep. With the hard top on it provides a nice shelf to store gear on and the freedom panels fit underneath.

If you had any specific questions or want a picture of something just drop me a note.

rear view holes circle.jpg
rear view corner circle.jpg
wing nut.jpg
You say the Freedom panels fit underneath, no problem? I'm assuming that is not inside their bag? I read on here that the bag didn't fit underneath. Let me know your experience, please as I have one, but am waiting for my rear bumper/tire carrier to arrive before I install, since it sounds like I won't be able to remove the interior side panels once the slipstream side walls are installed to run new light wiring. That's the only drawback I seem to see with the slipstream so far. I'm hoping the Freedom panels fit or else I'll rig up some sort of hanger and put them at an angle underneath. Worst case, I'll just remove the slipstream when the hardtop is on. Thanks for any info as I'm just planning things out until the next round of installs begins.

rdrjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport-S
You say the Freedom panels fit underneath, no problem? I'm assuming that is not inside their bag? I read on here that the bag didn't fit underneath. Let me know your experience, please as I have one, but am waiting for my rear bumper/tire carrier to arrive before I install, since it sounds like I won't be able to remove the interior side panels once the slipstream side walls are installed to run new light wiring. That's the only drawback I seem to see with the slipstream so far. I'm hoping the Freedom panels fit or else I'll rig up some sort of hanger and put them at an angle underneath. Worst case, I'll just remove the slipstream when the hardtop is on. Thanks for any info as I'm just planning things out until the next round of installs begins.
Yes they fit underneath. When I have my hard top on (and thus Freedom panels) I remove the rear wall of the Slipstream (< 5 min). In this configuration I am using the slipsteam as more of a shelf/storage set up because security is provided by the hardtop. Hope that makes sense. There is no side panels underneath so you can run wires or whatever you need to do. I stash various items under there.
IMG_3549.JPG

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Yes they fit underneath. When I have my hard top on (and thus Freedom panels) I remove the rear wall of the Slipstream (< 5 min). In this configuration I am using the slipsteam as more of a shelf/storage set up because security is provided by the hardtop. Hope that makes sense. There is no side panels underneath so you can run wires or whatever you need to do. I stash various items under there.
IMG_3549.JPG
Thanks. That makes sense on removing the front hinged piece behind the seats. My rear bumper/tire carrier finally shipped a few days ago. so should be able to install that and the slipstream next weekend. I have the sub in mine so that entire side is one piece of moulding. I figured with the wings I wouldn’t be able to pull the whole panel off to access wiring once the slipstream is on.

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I finally found a dry day and got this 95% installed. I've got a JLU w/ Sub and on the passenger side the long side frame would not fit into the front cut out on that side. I think the powdercoat may have been heavy. I was able to pound it in (not quite all the way on the innermost edge). That whole side was assembled before I put it in the Jeep and I wasn't willing to pull it all out again though.
I'm really happy with how it's turning out. There was a small roll of foam tube that I'm not sure where it goes though. Anyone know? There's a chance it came with something else and it got tossed in with my Slipstream over the holidays, but I don't think so. It's only about 2.5' long

Jeep Wrangler JL Diabolical Slipstream install - recent experiences? {filename}

Sponsored

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Jeep Wrangler JL Diabolical Slipstream install - recent experiences? {filename}

apparently that didn't load when I looked on mobile. Thanks for any help guys/gals

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
emailed Alan, and he got back to me quick! (Great Customer Service) If anyone else sees this down the road, it goes between the front wall and the top. It may have been in his videos that I watched months ago when I ordered. When doing the install, I kept jumping around so I may have missed it if it's there.

Thanks Alan!
Sponsored