Sponsored

JLU - Diabolical Slipstream vs Tonneau cover?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
You may have just saved me $600. Can you describe the locks for the rear seats a bit more?
Yeah I just used some gun locks that can tighten down/ pull through to make the gap smaller.

If you look under the rear seat while you fold it down you can see how the metal pieces move and what you need to stop that forward motion.

I’ll see if I can snap some pictures
Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Yeah I just used some gun locks that can tighten down/ pull through to make the gap smaller.

If you look under the rear seat while you fold it down you can see how the metal pieces move and what you need to stop that forward motion.

I’ll see if I can snap some pictures
Thanks. I have a bunch of wood lying around to take a stab or two at this. I might top it off with some thin diamond tread aluminum to make it look tougher than it is

nomad603

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
It's the same as the height of the quarters on the jeep, the top rests on them. There are 2 rails that protrude into that space a little, like 1-1.5 inches. Diabolical does offer a top that raises the center area clearance up.
Thank you. Didn't realize they have other tops.

OP
OP

Last Mango

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Thank you to everyone for educating me on the Diabolical Slipstream, other similar manufacturers, and do it yourself options. I don't have the patience, or skillset to make something decent myself.

We need a lockable area for backpacks, and the stuff of life. Of everything on the market, The Diabolical Slipstream best fits my needs.

I spoke with Alan at Diabolical. The factory notched tailskin will be available in a couple weeks. We pick up our jeep from the dealer next Friday Feb 22. My intentions are to order the Slipstream the week after, with the notched tailskin.

Once it's installed, I'd be happy to share pics, give you my opinion, and meet anyone in Central Florida that is pondering one for their jeep.

Cheers,
James

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2024 JLU Willys 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the delivery time they are giving you?
Honestly I haven't heard yet. Ordered on Thursday (Happy V-day to me!) and got my order confirmation but haven't gotten anything about shipping yet.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Thanks. I have a bunch of wood lying around to take a stab or two at this. I might top it off with some thin diamond tread aluminum to make it look tougher than it is
I’ll see what I can do this weekend

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly I haven't heard yet. Ordered on Thursday (Happy V-day to me!) and got my order confirmation but haven't gotten anything about shipping yet.
So I never got a shipping notification and was going to contact Alan today. Low and behold it showed up last night. So 6 days from order to receive.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So I never got a shipping notification and was going to contact Alan today. Low and behold it showed up last night. So 6 days from order to receive.
Let us know how the install goes. You have a soft top?

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know how the install goes. You have a soft top?
I do have a soft top.

It will probably be next weekend before I get around to doing the install. I ordered the GPCA tiedowns and they won't be here till early next week.

Sponsored

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yup.

Funny my shipping notification showed up this morning... After UPS delivered it last night.

Gotta give Alan & Co kudos on the packing, I've seen organ transplants packed with less care than this. The tailgate skin I received is one of the un-notched ones but they did include a nice detailed letter explaining the issue with the soft top and the lid, where it hits how to fix it and an offer to ship a replacement notched tailgate skin in March when they finish fabrication (at no charge).

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
I just installed the slipstream on my JLUR with premium soft top. It is a top notch product. The powder coat isn’t perfect, and you get JK instruction that leave you with a few things to figure out, but it’s worth it.

A couple notes important to soft top:

1. You need hard top bolts to complete the install. You can buy M8-1.25 bolts and make do or get something Jeep specific.
2. The top cover doesn’t clear the soft top mechanism so opening it isn’t as easy as with a hard top. You have to release all the pins and slide it out a little to get clearance. I plan to notch the tailskin to fix this but haven’t done yet. I’ve also shared this with Alan at Diabolical and he says he’s aware of it and working on solutions.
Hey! I'm digging through threads on the Slipstream and was compiling a list of questions, but you hit on two of them right here. Edit: ONE question. Scrapping the second, as I found the answer.

1. What do you mean by "get something Jeep specific" when it comes to the bolts. Where would you buy and what exactly are we looking for?

More questions soon but wanted to post these specifically as they relate to your post. TIA!

jz19

First Name
JZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Sahara JLU in Bikini
Okay hey again guys - I’ve gone crosseyed looking at all of the Slipstream threads and THINK that these are the remaining/unanaswered questions in addition to the specific one I posted above in response to @tesla 's post:
  1. Have they resolved the issue of it fitting around the Alpine sub in the rear?
  2. Does it fit with the factory bolting system, or do you have to drill extra holes in your interior?
  3. Can this be installed with the soft top on (windows off, of course)?
  4. How long do they take to receive from ordering to delivery?
  5. How much is shipping?
  6. How does having a box like this affect the sound quality of the Alpine sub?
  7. Is 10% the best discount anyone has gotten?
I’d love your input! Thanks all.

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Okay hey again guys - I’ve gone crosseyed looking at all of the Slipstream threads and THINK that these are the remaining/unanaswered questions in addition to the specific one I posted above in response to @tesla 's post:
  1. Have they resolved the issue of it fitting around the Alpine sub in the rear?
  2. Does it fit with the factory bolting system, or do you have to drill extra holes in your interior?
  3. Can this be installed with the soft top on (windows off, of course)?
  4. How long do they take to receive from ordering to delivery?
  5. How much is shipping?
  6. How does having a box like this affect the sound quality of the Alpine sub?
  7. Is 10% the best discount anyone has gotten?
I’d love your input! Thanks all.
@jz19 I'll let you know more when I actually do the install, but so far.

1. I don't recall this being an issue, you certainly specify wether you have a sub or not when you order (I do so I'll let you know)
2. No drilling. All factory bolts. If like me you have a soft top only, you'll probably have to dig the paint out of the hard top bolt holes.
3. We'll find out but my guess is yes. My plan is to just remove the windows and leave it up in bikini so it's out of the way.
4. For me it was 6 days (ordered on Thursday, received the next Wednesday) for some weird reason I didn't get my shipping number till after it arrived.
5. It was free.
6. I'll let you know but my '11 JK I had the tuffy security enclosure and I personally thought the sub sounded better, a few people have mentioned that they bumped the bass eq up a couple of notches and it sounded just like before.

tesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 Ocean Blue
Hey! I'm digging through threads on the Slipstream and was compiling a list of questions, but you hit on two of them right here. Edit: ONE question. Scrapping the second, as I found the answer.

1. What do you mean by "get something Jeep specific" when it comes to the bolts. Where would you buy and what exactly are we looking for?

More questions soon but wanted to post these specifically as they relate to your post. TIA!
I meant that you can find some bolts on amazon or through one of the vendors here that are designed for hardtop use, or even OEM hardtop bolts. I went to Home Depot and bought bolts.
Sponsored