First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Here in Wyoming we see deer, pronghorn and turkeys almost every day. It’s not uncommon to see 2-3 dead on the side of the road on the 14 mile trip to town. If your lucky you don’t live in an area that has pronghorn. They are one of the dumbest animals around. If one runs in front of you the rest usually follow.

Only real recommendation is to slow down!

99B3DEBA-4B33-42E2-B4B1-D9A419DE1CCF.jpeg
3E1F2A8A-1174-40BC-B136-ADCF19BAAA5B.jpeg
2A3D4125-D017-4910-806C-BFF8B788E54A.jpeg
Sponsored

wyobob44

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 , 17 Indian Chieftain, 12 Ford F-350 Dually 4X4, 74 Jeep Wangoneer
Occupation
Retired
I went with the RockSlideEnginnering full width, with the Bull bar pretty much for the reason of the dumb deer in this area of Wyoming, because regardless of how careful you drive, they are no smarter than the Antelope and will cross in front of you in the bat of an eye.
20200107_131043.jpg
20200107_131040.jpg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Black and Tan
Two close calls in less than a week. Currently, I just have the factory front. I'm looking for suggestions for a basic, but sturdy, guard that will allow me to go through the deer without much damage. Any recommendations?
To best preserve your Jeep from damage (Any kind of damage!) is to park your Jeep in a garage. Shut the door and lock it up. Or just drive cautiously and prepared for that dreaded moment if you do hit a deer. Keep a kit ready for that day. Items to include:. BBQ sauce, sharp knife, lighter, kindling and a 6 pack on ice.

Sponsored

tcari394

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL (2dr)
https://www.shrockworks.com/JJL-FB-001-pr-16302.html

I installed a shrockworks front bumper on my Xterra after I did about 8K in damage hitting one. After that I hit about 5 with no damage.. just some blood and hair :)

The jeep bumpers look a little smaller, but the build quality leads me to believe that it could take the same force.

jordanblaze

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Deer whistles have never helped anyone other than those that profit from the sales.

A solid deer hit at highway speed is going to cause damage, I don't care what you bolt onto the front. The best defense is vigalance and using your head. For example, don't be driving down a narrow country road at 65mph at dusk. Suicidal deer just love to jump out from behind the corn in front of you.
Anything you buy from westin or companies who make crap decoration grill guards will cause and multiply damage at school zone speeds. I don't have anything on my JLUR currently but I've hit many deer (central tx whitetail) going between 70 and 80 mph in my truck with a Ranch Hand grill guard (not even a bumper replacement grill guard) and never experienced ANY damage. The deer on the other hand...turns em into furry jellyfish

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest the OP to look for a well-made steel bumper and weld on a 2" DOM tube in some type of configuration: bull bar or something. With impact, it's going to come down to the steel thickness, welds and support. Then you can just "mow 'em down" :)

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Also, I went "old school" with round spots which, in hind site, I think is cool but certainly stupid - I could have gotten a lot more lumens for the same price with a lot less wiring.
Hind site Lol

Sponsored

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Every day I go to work, I kid you not, I see 5-15 deer. I live in the high desert and they migrate through my yard. I have a steel bumper and pop, but IMHO, prevention is better - the more lights you have the better. At 55 I can not out drive my lights - I see their eyes well before they hit the "spot light" range. More expensive than a bumper but will say you money in the long run.

Also, I went "old school" with round spots which, in hind site, I think is cool but certainly stupid - I could have gotten a lot more lumens for the same price with a lot less wiring.

IMG_1853.jpg
Light ‘em up!!!

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
When you drive a low car, like a 1993 Toyota Corolla the deer can come right through the windshield and the driver can die. This is a second advantage to having a lift.

OP
OP
TaxPhan

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I would suggest the OP to look for a well-made steel bumper and weld on a 2" DOM tube in some type of configuration: bull bar or something. With impact, it's going to come down to the steel thickness, welds and support. Then you can just "mow 'em down" :)
Weld? That is definitely not within my abilities!

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Yes but with a bull bar you stand a chance of having a deer come up through the windshield. If it were me, I'd weld some spikes a various angles so that if you do hit a deer, it'll stay stuck to the front bumper and not come into the passenger compartment.
Sponsored