First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited sport
Occupation
Crime scene remediation field supervisor
Hello guys and gals... newb jeep owner here. I keep seeing posts and hear people talking about jeeps and the associated "death wobble" issue. Has anyone ever figured out which jeeps are most prone to the problem? Who has or had death wobble in their JL? If you have... what trim or model do you own? Is the jeep suspension stock or lifted? Did you add bigger tires? How did you fix the issue. I dont have the death wobble issue, but I'd like to know how or if i can prevent it. Thank you all in advance...
Sponsored

Socialdlq

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018 sport S unlimited
Experienced it twice. Had the steering dampener recall fixed and haven’t had it since.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I've had 8 Jeeps... FSJ, XJs, TJs, JKUR and JLUR... all solid axle front suspension for a combined total personal driving of about 800,000 miles. Since I acquired some of them very used, the actual total combined mileage of the vehicles easily exceeded a million miles. None of them ever had DW. That said, they were all basically stock other than shock upgrades, bigger/better tires, etc. and none of the suspension components were defective. Some of the components got lots of miles on them and had to be replaced, but still no DW. Everyone I know that has experienced it had significantly lifted vehicles. I have no clue how to fix it but have a pretty good idea how to prevent it... stock suspension in good working order, alignment, etc. and no defective components.

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Mine started on bridge joints at about 10,000 miles. Would not call it DW but definitely needed to slow down a bit to stop the shaking..
Dampener replaced and now fine.
Never had the problem with my 2013 JKU

2019 Sahara, completely stock

Last edited:

FirecrackerRubi

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker red Rubicon Unlimited
I had it after going from 2.5" lift to 3.5' of lift. I adjusted my caster (aftermarket control arms) and it went away.

2019 JLUR
3.5" MC lift
37" Maxxis RZR's

Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Our '19 Jeep is stock and has Selec-trac (with it's CV joints). DW started in cold weather over bridge joints at 7750 miles. It occurred about 12 times over 2 hours of driving in 30 - 40 degree temps.

cruzhm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara and 2022 Rubicon
I have a stock '19 Sahara with 20k mi. and it had death wobble pretty badly, would happen when I hit a pretty much any bump above 55 mph. The dampener was changed and that didn't help as well as re-torq'd all the steering components. I recently went out and found fresh takeoffs from a rubicon, 17" wheels with 33" K02's and the problem basically went away. I have not had any death wobble since.
Sponsored