Sponsored

Dealer refusing service

mark195

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2016 SRT
I'll try to keep this short....hopefully @JeepCares can help with this.

I started to look at removing the rock rails on my new JLUR this past weekend to sell, going to look at aftermarket options. When I rolled under the drivers side of the Jeep I noticed that one of the body mount bolts is clearly missing. Have not noticed any issues driving it but certainly not a good thing.

I purchased my jeep out of state (Koons) which is 3 hours away. I had tried to talk to my local dealer back in the fall but they kept pushing me on a JK saying the JL's were not available when I knew otherwise...that coupled with discount available I went with Koons very early in the process.

Anyhow, I took my Jeep into the local dealer today after scheduling an appointment on Saturday to get this fixed. They called me back to say that this is a "PDI" item and while under warranty has to be addressed by the selling dealer...basically saying I have to take it back 3 hours each way. I told him I disagreed and any warranty item whether something that should have been inspected by the selling dealer or not should be able to be fixed by any Jeep dealer which they're telling me is not the case.

I know this point has been addressed before. I've reached out to Koons as well but thought I'd post here as well for any thoughts/feedback to move this forward and get this resolved quickly as I do not like the idea of driving the Jeep missing one of those bolts.

@JeepCares any help/thoughts?
Sponsored

Joeker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
I'll try to keep this short....hopefully @JeepCares can help with this.

I started to look at removing the rock rails on my new JLUR this past weekend to sell, going to look at aftermarket options. When I rolled under the drivers side of the Jeep I noticed that one of the body mount bolts is clearly missing. Have not noticed any issues driving it but certainly not a good thing.

I purchased my jeep out of state (Koons) which is 3 hours away. I had tried to talk to my local dealer back in the fall but they kept pushing me on a JK saying the JL's were not available when I knew otherwise...that coupled with discount available I went with Koons very early in the process.

Anyhow, I took my Jeep into the local dealer today after scheduling an appointment on Saturday to get this fixed. They called me back to say that this is a "PDI" item and while under warranty has to be addressed by the selling dealer...basically saying I have to take it back 3 hours each way. I told him I disagreed and any warranty item whether something that should have been inspected by the selling dealer or not should be able to be fixed by any Jeep dealer which they're telling me is not the case.

I know this point has been addressed before. I've reached out to Koons as well but thought I'd post here as well for any thoughts/feedback to move this forward and get this resolved quickly as I do not like the idea of driving the Jeep missing one of those bolts.

@JeepCares any help/thoughts?
This does not seems fair. I too have purchase my Jeep from Koons after trying to negotiate a fair price from my local dealer. And if I have any issues with my JEEP I would hope my local would help me. What is the name of the dealership ?

OP
OP

mark195

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2016 SRT
This does not seems fair. I too have purchase my Jeep from Koons after trying to negotiate a fair price from my local dealer. And if I have any issues with my JEEP I would hope my local would help me. What is the name of the dealership ?
I don't want to publically name/shame them just yet....hoping to sort it out. My understanding was that any Jeep dealer was "required" to perform warranty service. His only point was this was something that should have been seen in a pre-inspection delivery and fixed by the selling dealer was they get paid to do that. My response was ok, they didn't do it, missed it, or it was loose and fell out...regardless I would imagine any time/cost to fix it would be covered by Jeep under warranty for a one month old Jeep....

U.S. Marine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Mark, that is unsat for your local dealership to treat you that way, they could have squared away the situation in a heartbeat. I hope that Jeep Cares gets involved to enlighten that dealership. I bought my 2014 Corvette new from a dealership in NH and my local Chevrolet dealership had no problem servicing warranty work or anything else that was needed.

OP
OP

mark195

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2016 SRT
Mark, that is unsat for your local dealership to treat you that way, they could have squared away the situation in a heartbeat. I hope that Jeep Cares gets involved to enlighten that dealership. I bought my 2014 Corvette new from a dealership in NH and my local Chevrolet dealership had no problem servicing warranty work or anything else that was needed.
Me too....unfortunate but I hope to reverse their decision. Separately, thank you for your service!

Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
This is how the dealers are. They are so quick to say it's either not their problem or my favorite "we had our tech drive it and he couldn't reproduce the issue" so of course you have to drive back and physically take 10 seconds to show them. It seriously is like they are just immediately on the defense to point blame somewhere else or deny the problem exists.

RubiconDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
While any Jeep dealership should be willing to deal with a warranty issue no matter where it was purchased, I know already I would have a similar problem with my local dealership if I took my Jeep to them for service.

They were unwilling to get within $2,000 of my best deal and then flat out told me they would give me poor service if I did not buy from them. My solution was to go talk to the next closest dealer. They were also unable to get close to the great deal I got from a dealer about an hour further away, but this dealer begged me to bring my Jeep to them for service after I had purchased from the other dealer. They are about 20 minutes from house while the local dealer is about 5 minutes from my house. I will drive the extra 15 minutes!

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
They were unwilling to get within $2,000 of my best deal and then flat out told me they would give me poor service if I did not buy from them.
Wow! What a bunch of losers!

After reading some of these service related threads, I'd hate to imagine what a dealer would consider, "poor service".

RubiconDoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
Wow! What a bunch of losers!

After reading some of these service related threads, I'd hate to imagine what a dealer would consider, "poor service".
Hah! Good point!

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
I don't want to publically name/shame them just yet....hoping to sort it out. My understanding was that any Jeep dealer was "required" to perform warranty service. His only point was this was something that should have been seen in a pre-inspection delivery and fixed by the selling dealer was they get paid to do that. My response was ok, they didn't do it, missed it, or it was loose and fell out...regardless I would imagine any time/cost to fix it would be covered by Jeep under warranty for a one month old Jeep....
God forbid they step up and give you great service because they want to provide everyone with a great service or purchase experience because it's the right thing to do. Instead they treat it like blackmail? If you don't buy from us we will give you lousy service. I'm sure Jeep doesn't care where you buy it, as long as you buy it.

Sponsored

jericbarg

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-Granite
Occupation
Healthcare
That is a PDI issue, IF the bolt is missing.
If the bolt is broken off different story, any dealer can rectify either issue very easily.
A good dealer would have ordered the bolt and washer and replaced it.

Easier to lodge a complaint with JEEP and the NTSB and then go buy the missing bolt and washer, then you can send the bill to JEEP, they will pay.

I ran into this issue with a New 2010 ZR1 Corvette. It was sold to me without windshield wipers. Local dealer did not want to warranty due to it being a PDI issue from another (200 miles away).
I ordered the wipers and picked them up the next day, called GM lodged a complaint and sent them the receipt. 2 weeks later I got my $120 reimbursement and a $1000 GM accessories voucher.

OP
OP

mark195

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2016 SRT
That is a PDI issue, IF the bolt is missing.
If the bolt is broken off different story, any dealer can rectify either issue very easily.
A good dealer would have ordered the bolt and washer and replaced it.

Easier to lodge a complaint with JEEP and the NTSB and then go buy the missing bolt and washer, then you can send the bill to JEEP, they will pay.

I ran into this issue with a New 2010 ZR1 Corvette. It was sold to me without windshield wipers. Local dealer did not want to warranty due to it being a PDI issue from another (200 miles away).
I ordered the wipers and picked them up the next day, called GM lodged a complaint and sent them the receipt. 2 weeks later I got my $120 reimbursement and a $1000 GM accessories voucher.
I was just thinking about doing something like that....going to ask the local deal to just give me the cost to fix and see how they respond to that.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I hope you get this resolved.

I imagine so many things get missed during a dealer pre-delivery inspection. Honestly, do you think those dealer mechanics are checking every nut and bolt? Give me a break.

OP
OP

mark195

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK, 2016 SRT
I hope you get this resolved.

I imagine so many things get missed during a dealer pre-delivery inspection. Honestly, do you think those dealer mechanics are checking every nut and bolt? Give me a break.
I'm sure it will but like almost anything these days will be harder than it should. I agree, I'm sure they don't check 100%

Last edited:

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
@mark195 .. NJ Dealer's Service Dept. is doing you wrong. Without a doubt if you call Jeep Customer Service that they will get after that dealer and have them install the body bolt.

Curious, what did Koon's say when you called them? They could have 3 day mail or overnighted a body bolt to you?

I think you are making a mistake not mentioning the name of the NJ dealer here! Was it Ramsey Jeep in Ramsey, NJ. It would be just like them to pull such a stunt.

As I have mentioned here in the past. Dealerships are not your friend! Here is a prime example. Giving you grief over a friggin lousey body bolt they'd have to provide. Good will on their part would have dictated them just installing the body bolt. What NJ Dealership?
Sponsored