Dead Jeep - need ideas

TMac99

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
I have a 2018 JL 3.6L that we use as a toad behind a motorhome. While driving the Jeep today, it would not start after the ESS shut the engine down at a stop. I had all kinds of error message and check engine lights. I was able to get it started with a jump from another vehicle. We were close to my camping site, so drove it back there (about 300 yards). On that drive I got a dash message that said something like “Pull over, Jeep will shut down soon“. Once I got to my camping site it ran rough and did shut down on its own. Gauges were flickering and wipers were going without being turned on. I tried jumping again (charging for 15 minutes before I tried), but the Jeep won’t even turn on. I measured the main battery at 12.9V and the aux was initially 10.1 volts but it did seem to rise after charging to over 12. Despite having 2 seemingly OK batteries, the Jeep is totally electrically dead. Will not turn on, lights won’t come on, nothing electrical works at all.
Any and all ideas welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Make sure your ground cables are tight at the battery. Most of the 3.6L ESS information is in the 3.6L forum. With a good main battery and bad aux, you can unplug the PCR and the aux ground cable at the main battery to run on the main battery only.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have a 2018 JL 3.6L that we use as a toad behind a motorhome. While driving the Jeep today, it would not start after the ESS shut the engine down at a stop. I had all kinds of error message and check engine lights. I was able to get it started with a jump from another vehicle. We were close to my camping site, so drove it back there (about 300 yards). On that drive I got a dash message that said something like “Pull over, Jeep will shut down soon“. Once I got to my camping site it ran rough and did shut down on its own. Gauges were flickering and wipers were going without being turned on. I tried jumping again (charging for 15 minutes before I tried), but the Jeep won’t even turn on. I measured the main battery at 12.9V and the aux was initially 10.1 volts but it did seem to rise after charging to over 12. Despite having 2 seemingly OK batteries, the Jeep is totally electrically dead. Will not turn on, lights won’t come on, nothing electrical works at all.
Any and all ideas welcome.
Thanks in advance.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eering-and-other-inconsistencies-fuses.40368/
Sponsored