Dash Cam Suggestions

milesjj_20

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good dash cam I can buy? I am trying to find one that records 24/7, whether the Jeep is on or not so I don't know if that is even doable. I wish I could find something that recorded all around the vehicle (honestly, that's the one great thing about Teslas), but I am hoping a front and rear camera will capture enough in case anyone tries to vandalize my Jeep.
Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Came across this video the other day from a tech youtube channel that I watch periodically. The gist of it is whatever you get, don't spend too much, they're all basically the same. Just find one that has the features you're after that's affordable and go for it.

Deleted member 59498

I bought one on Amazon but feel it is too large. Am I am weird thinking someone may just steal it? LOL

I wish they made a really small one that I could attach to the rear view.

I bought this one, it does great video very clear and sharp with all the other G force saves etc. Plus has rear camera that I have not wired yet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SZNL2WT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think they are a waste of money at all though. Could have got it for 100 bucks maybe without the rear camera.

SoCalDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURXR
I have the Garmin mini in two of our cars. We were able to tap into the power in the rearview mirror with an adaptor so it’s a super easy install. Does anybody know if we can do that with the Jeep? Or maybe someone can tell me if their 22 or 23 Rubicon has power to the rear view mirror?

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I have the Garmin mini in two of our cars. We were able to tap into the power in the rearview mirror with an adaptor so it’s a super easy install. Does anybody know if we can do that with the Jeep? Or maybe someone can tell me if their 22 or 23 Rubicon has power to the rear view mirror?
I used the parking cable with the Garmin mini. Records motion and impact.

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good dash cam I can buy?
Given your desire for continual operation, not just as a witness to that which happens while your mobile, I'd recommend, as you reference, a 3 wire dual dash camera. I have a BlackVue brand from Black Box My Car. I'd recommend both brand and vendor, but I don't know your budget.

I am trying to find one that records 24/7, whether the Jeep is on or not so I don't know if that is even doable.
I'm doing that. It's very doable but there are things you must do and consider when taking this route. First off you want a camera that, as mentioned has 3 wires: 1 ground, 1 ignition and 1 battery. Your simpler cameras often are just two wired: ignition and ground. The number of wires has nothing to do here with the number of cameras you have.

Usually the cameras with 3 wires are also configurable to shut off when the vehicle is parked and the voltage of the car battery reaches a certain threshold. This is important as you want to be able to crank your car the next morning. If your JL has a dual battery model those batteries are in parallel when the vehicle is parked, and the voltage the dash camera reads will be a composite of both: which is perfect.

In such cameras the ignition wire goes to an electric source that is energized only when the vehicle is on. Most vehicle's dash cigarette lighter port seem to only be energized when the vehicle is on. Another place, as mentioned in another post here is the vanity light in the sun visor or the power mirror if equipped.

The battery wire goes to an electric source that is always energized independent of whether the vehicle is on or off. This can include the cargo area plug in the JL, if equipped, which by factory default is always energized. Alternatively, on your ODB 2 port under the steering wheel, pin 16 (of 16) should always be energized https://components101.com/connectors/obd2.

When the camera sees that the ignition wire has no current, only the battery wire, it knows to go into parking mode and monitor the battery's voltage.

As far as features, mine is configurable from my smart phone but I can't watch real time what's happening to my vehicle while I'm "sitting in a restaurant" Some cameras have true internet capabilities like that.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I got the Garmin 57. I guess for the most part I like it fine. It is really small so it is unobtrusive. The voice command works quite well, but connecting to it with the phone app is sometimes glitchy. The only real downside is the mounting option. It comes with a permanently attached footpad that has adhesive on it. That means once you stick it on that's where it stays.

It will record incidents that occur while the car is parked and it has a few other features, such as lane departure warning (not so reliable) and collision danger warning (which works pretty well).

I wanted a unit that had GPS built in, and it can be set to display the coordinates in your video.

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Thinkware Q800 pro, it tucks up nice behind the mirror and will accept a rear (optional) camera.

BigMaCro

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 4xe Rubicon, 2004 WJ
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Carhauler
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Freek55

First Name
Frederik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ 2000/KJ 2002/ JK 2007/WK2014/JL 2021
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good dash cam I can buy? I am trying to find one that records 24/7, whether the Jeep is on or not so I don't know if that is even doable. I wish I could find something that recorded all around the vehicle (honestly, that's the one great thing about Teslas), but I am hoping a front and rear camera will capture enough in case anyone tries to vandalize my Jeep.
Hi Matt,
I use the blackvue 750 2 channel , as option I do have a 12 hour battery installed as well
DR750X-2CH Plus - BlackVue Online Store
I am happy with the setup

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
the ones that have the rear camera, where are you guys mounting it? i thought about mounting it on the rear crossbar but my 37 spare just blocks everything. ideally, i would moutn it on my rear window but i take off my top often. don't really want to do a spare tire delete but i guess i have no choice lol

KwoodKing

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 2 Door
Are y’all aware of any that are just plain old cameras that go in the grill of the Jeep? Kind of where either a Bolt hood lock or trail cam would go? My sport has no easy power taps anywhere on the windshield and I would just want something watching in front of me. Maybe I’d figure out something for the rear to record simultaneously. All hypothetical at the moment, but still curious.

UniqueUserName

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Wrangler YJ, 2022 JLUR-XR
I've been very pleased with the Viofo A129 Pro Duo. It has a 4K front and 1080P rear camera. Get it with the hardwire kit, and hook the power up to your interior Aux constant power & ignition. This will enable parking mode recording.

https://viofo.com/dash-cam/149-viof...-rear-dual-channel-wi-fi-gps-dash-camera.html
I second the Viofo with the hardwire kit (if you have factory aux switches you can pull both battery and ignition power from the passenger footwell). It's reasonably priced, compact, does excellent video and has a decent mic. The rear camera cable is long enough to route discretely to the back window. I also use the Viofo as a video source when 4-wheeling.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dash Cam Suggestions 1664337473160
Sponsored