Custom orders - test drive issues?

jerseyjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara, GMC Acadia
Searching these forums have convinced me that custom ordering is the way to go.

For those that have custom ordered, I assume you test drove before you actually took delivery. Has anyone found any issues during a test drive that needed remedy, or otherwise discovered something not to your liking? If so, how has the dealership handled it? Has the fact that the Jeep was custom ordered impact that process at all?

From a purely practical perspective, I'd be traveling a few hours to the dealership; in the unlikely event there are any issues, I'd be stuck there waiting for a fix. Obviously, when buying off the lot, I'd be free to pick a different car if the test drive wasn't to my liking.
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I had no issues test driving either my JL or my Pacifica that were custom ordered. I don't know what would have happened if there was an issue though.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
No difference between ordering or buying off the lot. If there is something on the lot that is exactly what you want. 7 times out of 10 you will have to make a compromise buying off the lot because the Wrangler is so customizable.

I would do a test drive for any vehicle purchase. Definitely do a test drive before signing the paperwork. Have them lower the tires to 36psi before driving it. Try driving it on the highway. You have the most leverage before signing the paperwork. Have them correct the problems before signing if it's something obvious.

To be honest, I doubt you will have any problems.

Enjoy it when you get it!

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
Test driving I had no issue. I did have issues with the Finance department. I ordered from a dealer roughly 4 hours away. I spoke with them regarding financing when I ordered and told them I might finance locally or I might finance through the dealership. This was when I first ordered. After waiting several weeks for the Jeep to come in they called and said it was to arrive the following week. I spoke with financing at that point and asked their rates. They had much better rates than my local bank and I asked if these rates would be good at the time of pickup (the following week). The answer was yes and that they always beat the local banks rates since they deal with many banks, etc. I went there, test drove, signed paperwork with my dealer. All went well. Then went to the other side of the place to financing - totally different scenario. The guy said the rate was higher than he originally told me but could get it lower if I took the all inclusive extended warranties - etc. I was very upset. My teenage daughter was with me and it was a fabulous lesson for her - I got up and told them this was BS and said I was leaving. He eventually changed his story after he "checked with someone in the back" Not sure how this would have played out had he not come to his senses. You have to be willing to leave - just like any other sale. Really made the otherwise great experience a bit soured. I hate the runaround treatment and I don't like BS. I don't have time for it. Good luck - I sure like my JL. I am sure you will too. I have always looked on the lot, but never been able to find what I want. Usually the manual transmission is the main thing they don't have on the lots. This is a deal breaker for me always.

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
Ill be picking my order up in the next week or so. My plan is to drop tire pressure to 36 and check all the fuses. Run it up and down the highway 70mph. I've test driven 2 already, no issues. So, im expecting the same with this one. If by the off chance thier is a issue, we have already discussed the process. I won't take delivery and have another ordered.
Sponsored