Sponsored

** Warning: 2019 JL Steering Issues ** - Test drive it on the highway BEFORE taking ownership!

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Note/Update: This post is intended for those new to the JL forum or people who haven't heard about the steering problems with the JLs (2018 and 2019). If you are already aware, that's great, nothing to see here. Check out the red thread instead. But this post is for those who aren't aware of the steering problems. Many who are waiting for the new JLs to arrive aren't looking at the issues section and are unaware of the steering issues. Even the dealerships are saying "what steering problems?" even though there are several TSBs and Star cases about the steering problems, so how do you expect a new customer to know?

Original Post:

There are many known steering issues with the 2018 JL that FCA has not fixed. Some 2019 JL owners are claiming the exact same steering problems. I compared the part number list for the 2018 steering system vs the 2019 and 99% are the exact same parts. After obviously checking tire pressure first, be sure to TEST DRIVE your new 2019 JL on the highway at 50MPH+ speeds before accepting ownership of it. Symptoms include excessive dangerous wandering, excessive steering wheel play (more play than most Jeeps), etc. Some with these symptoms that occurred immediately are now having steering wheel shimmer/death wobble at around 7K miles, some have reported it much sooner. Yes, this is a small minority of JLs, but that doesn't matter when it is YOUR JL that has steering issues that the dealerships are unable to fix.

References:

2019 Steering Thread - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2019-steering.19015/

2018 steering threads (Note: Some 2019 owners are posting steering problems in these threads as well - the were not aware of the 2019 steering thread.)
a. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/
b. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/warning-jl-steering-issues.15226/
c. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...e-problem-with-jl-wrangler-please-watch.6723/
d. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/search/35782215/?q=wobble&o=date&c[title_only]=1

FCA confirms the problem but still haven't fixed it yet. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243
Sponsored

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Is there any new information here or just a rehash/summary of earlier threads?

I am fairly confident at this point that anyone who has visited this forum knows to do a test drive.

Symptoms include excessive dangerous wandering, excessive steering wheel play (more play than most Jeeps), steering wheel shimmer/death wobble at around 7K miles and more.
And are you suggesting a test drive of 7k miles? Most dealers won't allow that.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is there any new information here or just a rehash/summary of earlier threads?
Yes, there is a new 2019 steering thread that many didn't know about - proof is that they have been posting their 2019 steering problems in the old original steering problems thread. And there are new posts as soon as today of people reporting their 2019 with steering problems mentioned in the new 2019 steering thread. Also, not everyone knows to test drive their custom ordered JL on the highway before signing for it - based on several comments, they assumed any problems would be fixed by the dealership, but a year later, and it still isn't fixed. The more that reject accepting 2019s due to any steering issues, the more likely FCA will also fix 2018s (almost the exact same steering components). And many people are brand new to this forum and/or assume the steering issues on 2018 JLs have been fixed for 2019. So I'm trying to help others by what SHOULD be an obvious highway test drive. Yeah, the people who have been on this forum for a long time know, but if it just helps one person avoid a massive headache and helps 2018 JL owners who STILL have the steering problems because FCA hasn't fixed it, then this updated post is worth it. And of course I'm not suggesting to test drive it for 7K miles (I mentioned that because many who had steering issues right off the bat now have death wobble or shimmy steering wheel symptoms later on), just get it up to highway speeds for a few minutes. I edited that part for clarification.

P.S. Thanks for your post. It helps keep this thread at the top of the list of the Tracking Order section.

Last edited:

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
Yes, there is a new 2019 steering thread that many didn't know about - proof is that they have been posting their 2019 steering problems in the old original steering problems thread. And there are new posts as soon as today of people reporting their 2019 with steering problems mentioned in the new 2019 steering thread. Also, not everyone knows to test drive their custom ordered JL on the highway before signing for it - based on several comments, they assumed any problems would be fixed by the dealership, but a year later, and it still isn't fixed. The more that reject accepting 2019s due to any steering issues, the more likely FCA will also fix 2018s (almost the exact same steering components). And many people are brand new to this forum and/or assume the steering issues on 2018 JLs have been fixed for 2019. So I'm trying to help others by what SHOULD be an obvious highway test drive. Yeah, the people who have been on this forum for a long time know, but if it just helps one person avoid a massive headache and helps 2018 JL owners who STILL have the steering problems because FCA hasn't fixed it, then this updated post is worth it. And of course I'm not suggesting to test drive it for 7K miles (I mentioned that because many who had steering issues right off the bat now have death wobble or shimmy steering wheel symptoms later on), just get it up to highway speeds for a few minutes. I edited that part for clarification.

P.S. Thanks for your post. It helps keep this thread at the top of the list of the Tracking Order section.
Do you in fact have a 2019 or are you just trying to bolster attention to your 2018 issues.
I tested a 2019 today at 60 mph and it was smooth as glass.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
can a moderator move these threads into the Issues, Repairs TSB section, this echo chamber on a well hashed issue just clutters the rest of the forum

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
can a moderator move these threads into the Issues, Repairs TSB section, this echo chamber on a well hashed issue just clutters the rest of the forum
Then people won’t get the reminder to test drive it on the highway first if this is hidden where they most likely aren’t going to find it. It is not well hashed to those brand new to the forum.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Then people won’t get the reminder to test drive it on the highway first if this is hidden where they most likely aren’t going to find it. It is not well hashed to those brand new to the forum.
Thanks for the reply posts to keep this thread at the top of the list. I had planned on adding new messages to keep it at the top but others are doing it for me. Keep them coming.

Chewbacca2264

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Does not really matter if you buy a 2018 or 2019, point is the steering issues should lead everyone to thoroughly test drive the Jeep prior to signing.....common sense really.

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does not really matter if you buy a 2018 or 2019, point is the steering issues should lead everyone to thoroughly test drive the Jeep prior to signing.....common sense really.
Agreed - should be common sense. There are some posts where people said they test drove it near the dealership only and they didn't take it on the highway and they regretted it. The intention of this post is to remind people to take it on the highway before taking ownership.

There are several posts where people could of prevented the hassle of the lemon law and buy back process hassle if they had only test drove it on the highway first. Not to mention the lawsuits.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I have, as of yesterday, a 2 door 2019 and yes it has loose steering at moderate to high speed. I also have a 18 JLU that feels very similar to the 19; diff being wheelbase. I have a 17 JKU when it was in it's stock form was much, much much better to drive than either of the jl's mentioned. Solid at 80 mph... Now that it's been modified on 37x13.5 it's even better than stock at high speeds. I hope FCA investigates and provides a solution to an apparent problem/issues with some new design/material flaws, but to me the charm of owning a jeep is finding solutions and continuing to improve on what jeep started. The most modifiable vehicle in the world.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
There are 2019 owners reporting steering problems in this thread https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2019-steering.19015/ Also, 99% of the steering parts between the 2019 and 2018 are the same. All I am saying is to make sure you test drive it on the highway first.
2 complaints of 23 is a pretty poor sampling for problems.
Also mentioned the dampers and boxes were different and many were not sure about tire pressures.

Looks like Alternative Problems

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
2 complaints of 23 is a pretty poor sampling for problems.
Also mentioned the dampers and boxes were different and many were not sure about tire pressures.

Looks like Alternative Problems
Most are posting the 2019 steering problem in the other steering threads that I listed in the original post. They are unaware of the 2019 steering problem thread.

Hold24

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 392
I ordered a 18 when they first came out. I did have my share of small agruvating issues. Wind noise, wandering steering, loud ac fan, wheel shimmy. jeep fixed all of my problems except for the wind noise . I just received my loaded 19 Jlu Rubicon and I can say hands down this jeep is perfect.. No windnoise runs absolutely perfect down the highway. I also have two friends that have received 19’s there’s are perfect as well . where happy Campers
Sponsored