Cracked Windshield Club

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Second crack in 2300 miles. 1st was small and easily filled. I’m assuming this one will need replacement. Any advice on how to keep it from spreading?

0C3568F2-8C7E-4F44-8A75-2E74C2022CFE.jpeg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Second crack in 2300 miles. 1st was small and easily filled. I’m assuming this one will need replacement. Any advice on how to keep it from spreading?

0C3568F2-8C7E-4F44-8A75-2E74C2022CFE.jpeg
No question, that windshield has to be replaced. Call and order window asap.

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Got my new glass installed today and it looks great - correct acoustic glass and everything. Looks good as factory! Hilarious that the “list price” of it is $675 but the “selling price” is $202.50. Oh well... glad I only had to pay my $100 non-collision deductible instead of the full $368.82 it would have been otherwise. Now please Jeep Gods let this glass last for a while!! :fingerscrossed::please:

F96D4703-DBB7-4BF7-924D-CB9920F4AD0B.jpeg
Who did this for you? Seems like a good price.

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Geicos deductibles are confusing. They have a "full glass" deductible and "no deductible glass" deductible. I guess i need to call them for some clarification.

update

Just changed my deductible from $500 w/full glass to $750 w/ no glass deductible. no option for $500 w/ no glass deductible..this means i would not have to pay for damaged windshield right?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
First time visiting this thread in a while. This is crazy.

I don't buy that the windshield rake is the culprit. It was worse on the JK and TJ and I didn't hear endless windshield stories about those.

Must just be the use of poo-poo quality glass. If I pick up a crack, I'll wait until it's bad to replace.

I have cracked one windshield in 80,000 miles of driving. Sounds like a JL will kill that streak.

Sponsored

MerciiRubii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 OB Rubicon JL
First time visiting this thread in a while. This is crazy.

I don't buy that the windshield rake is the culprit. It was worse on the JK and TJ and I didn't hear endless windshield stories about those.

Must just be the use of poo-poo quality glass. If I pick up a crack, I'll wait until it's bad to replace.

I have cracked one windshield in 80,000 miles of driving. Sounds like a JL will kill that streak.
My JK cracked very often. In 2015 ten days after buying the car then every 6 months after. Jan it cracked got it replaced in April, cracked 4 days later bad, I just said screw replacing it and traded the car in to get the JL. Probably replaced my windshield 6 times in under 3 years.

mkstewet1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Cracked the new windshield on day 5 while driving home from dropping off the check to pay for the JL. It took over a month for them to find a replacement. Well, only took 3 more weeks to crack windshield number 2, this time they did the crack repair. Not a Happy Camper for sure, especially at $900 a piece, $500 deductible.

I am looking into the Clearplex treatment, I will certainly let everyone know if I have any luck.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Less than 1 month 2700 miles. heard a little noise like bug hitting it sure enough there was bug smatter at the bottomof the windshield but no crack. so washed it off with the wiper fluid. parked it no crack that night walked out thi smoring and just above the driverside of the rear view mirro there is a 8inch long backwards s haped crack. but not rock chip. So I have a bunch of questions?

I know this is common in the JKs but I thought it was less common in the Jls.
How much does an OME windshiel cost?
what are allthose littel dots around the perimeter for ?
Is is osme sort of antenna? of shading?
do i need it? for something in my Jeep?
Are these cracking because of a defect?
Because I wasn't driving it when it cracked?

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
I was told by the dealer to check with my insurance company for zero deductible on windshield replacement which I did.

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Waiting on my new windshield. Was scheduled to get replaced today. Safelite called and said they are on back order with no eta

Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
ugh $Cost????

bulletproofsgt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
2018 JLU Rubicon. Turned 1300 miles this afternoon. Small rock hit below the drivers side and now there’s a 12 inch crack right in the middle of the drivers seat view. This sucks!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
When I had an XJ, I seemed to get quite a few rock chips on the windshield. Often, I could get it repaired before it spread, but sometimes I couldn't make it to a rock chip repair guy quick enough and it would spread. Over all the years that I owned the XJ, I probably replaced the windshield 3 times. On the other hand, the Ram 1500 that I just sold still had the original factory windshield in it and it never picked up a rock chip. I'm not even sure if it ever even had a rock hit the windshield over the 14 years that I had it. I don't think that there is any change in my driving style, so I have to wonder why the XJ seemed to attract rocks more often. The Ram is a bit higher, has a longer hood, the window is sloped more, and it had a small deflector on the front edge of the hood. I didn't think that deflector did much more than just decoration. Since both vehicles were made by Chrysler, you would think that the glass quality was probably the same. Since the Ram had a larger windshield, you would think that it had a greater probability of being hit by a random rock, but that just didn't seem to be the case. I ordered my JL today, so I guess I'll be a member of the JL windshield club soon enough. Damn...

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
On my YJ and TJ i went through 2 a year. Thank god for zero deductable full glass insurance

So my 14 day insurance coverage window for new purchase of JL ended today. Got the JL its own new policy yesterday and had to talk them into allowing me full glass coverage with zero deductable like i had on yj and tj. Today, it gets hit by a rock on my wife's 20min commute home....10 minutes later I've got a 1.5 foot crack in the windshield.

I've had a TJ since '98 and a YJ for 5 years before that...I probably average 2 windshields a year. Last month I had a rock come through my TJ windshield coming home from Denver. Showered me with glass. I was really lucky I was wearing shades since I had little flakes of glass embeded in my right arm. Drove the remaining 40 min home picking glass out of my arm and bleeding all over hell.

I really wonder if the Gorilla glass option would be any better.
Sponsored