Cracked one week in

JARHEAD-JL

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So the dealer wouldn't do the repairs under insurance???

I worry because I have the safety packages, and have read about needing to adjust them after installing a new windshield.
oh man. I mean if @JeepCares says that the dealership will help, then talk to them and see what you can do, if not then just go through the insurance. btw are you still driving down these weekend?
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I will be filing with my insurance company and most likely completing at a dealer. Thanks for the follow up. I will definitely send you a message if assistance is needed.
Understood, JimmyZ.

Kate
Jeep Cares

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Up in Northern Alberta/BC, I've come to the conclusion to limit my replacement windshields to twice a year. Last one had three major cracks and about a dozen chips of varying size. The gravel they put down on the roads is incredibly hard on glass. Most insurance companies out here don't offer glass insurance. It's hard on all vehicles, but I swear jeeps have rock magnets built into them. I don't think I've managed to keep one for more than week chip/crack free ever.
Have you tried any type of expanded metal screen across it for protection?

20210325_101617.jpg

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Heard that God awful sound you never want to hear on a Wrangler... Then analyzed the windshield and sure enough one week in, she's cracked 🙄
Jeep Wrangler JL Cracked one week in 20210325_101617
Come on Man , my first one didn't last 50 miles. A whole week! That got to be like a couple hundred miles right. That's Real Improvement don't you think? Can't blame the manufacturer? Bye the way who is building jeeps now? He he he :)

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
As a somewhat long-time Wrangler owner (15+ years), I will tell you that the zero deductible windshield insurance is well worth it - for piece of mind, if nothing else.

All of that said, I have never replaced a Wrangler windshield.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Come on Man , my first one didn't last 50 miles. A whole week! That got to be like a couple hundred miles right. That's Real Improvement don't you think? Can't blame the manufacturer? Bye the way who is building jeeps now? He he he :)
I did get a couple hundred miles out if it. I apologize, now that you brought it into perspective, I was really being ungrateful. My apologies @Jeep

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
It is the luck of the draw.

Here in Calgary, they use a dirt combination for snow traction (can't remember the science of why). So, on the positive side, cars do not rust nearly as fast as in the East ... but there are so many rocks in the dirt, Calgary has the highest amount of windshield replacement shops per capita in North America.

My wife had her Mazda's windshield crack on the way home from the dealership!
My parents (and 2 years of my life) are from Michigan and they use salt there. My father calls that rust around the wheel wells "Michigan Cancer". I'd rather replace the windshield due to rock damage than have my vehicle dissolve. That being said, I live in Florida and if you have Comp coverage windshield replacements are $0 deductible.

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My parents (and 2 years of my life) are from Michigan and they use salt there. My father calls that rust around the wheel wells "Michigan Cancer". I'd rather replace the windshield due to rock damage than have my vehicle dissolve. That being said, I live in Florida and if you have Comp coverage windshield replacements are $0 deductible.
Likewise I'm in Florida. Has anyone replaced theirs with the safety packages? Does the Radar really need to be recalibrated?

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Likewise I'm in Florida. Has anyone replaced theirs with the safety packages? Does the Radar really need to be recalibrated?
I don't have the safety packages, but I always fill small cracks on a new vehicle. There is nothing like the factory installed windshield installed on perfectly engineered surfaces. Everything else is at the whim of whomever installs it. Our 2013 Odyssey got a small crack in the windshield and we filled it. 7 years later it still has held.

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have the safety packages, but I always fill small cracks on a new vehicle. There is nothing like the factory installed windshield installed on perfectly engineered surfaces. Everything else is at the whim of whomever installs it. Our 2013 Odyssey got a small crack in the windshield and we filled it. 7 years later it still has held.
I've never had one filled... How does it look?

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've never had one filled... How does it look?
It looks exactly like the crack, except that it stabilizes it and you still have your factory windshield. Once you pull the first one out, I'd replace it for any reasonable sized crack.

OP
OP
JimmyZ

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks exactly like the crack, except that it stabilizes it and you still have your factory windshield. Once you pull the first one out, I'd replace it for any reasonable sized crack.
Thanks for the insight

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Oh you guys

You need to learn the art of tail gating. I havent had one chip in my glass because I follow so close that rocks cant possibly get the angle to hit my windshield!

Im kidding of course.
I tried that but it didn’t cover what was on “top” of the truck.

Lol. Just kidding too. (Internet pic)

787D0CDC-651F-439A-B0BB-0325C3F29176.png

ivanidea

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
Occupation
IT
Received email from Jeep this week:

It's a jungle out there, so get tough with Gorilla Glass. Gorilla Glass is tougher and more resistant to chips and cracks than standard windshield glass and helps defend against damage from sharp and blunt impacts. Whether replacing or upgrading your current windshield, a Mopar Windshield Made with Corning Gorilla Glass is perfect for Jeep® Wrangler and Gladiator.

Call your dealer or local glass installer today and ask for part number 68522631AA / DW02656GTY
(Part number does not apply to vehicles with adaptive cruise control).

It looks like the Gorilla glass is not compatible with the adaptive cruise control.

Bri_BKT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Rubicon JLU 4xe; 2016 Mazda CX-5
On my 5th windshield since purchasing it on 28 Dec 2019. First one was when driving back home from the dealership, after a slight detour to Manitou Springs. Each rock chip has developed a large horizontal or vertical crack almost instantly right after the rock chip. I have ACC and I think the glass is slightly thinner (I'm just guessing) but thankfully in Colorado, you can get free unlimited glass replacement as an option thru insurance. I'm sure it has paid for itself if I am paying more in premiums to have that coverage. It's been a hassle and the only real complaint I have as overall it's been a great vehicle.
Sponsored