Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
Searched in the forum and not able to find relevant topic so posting here

Got my 2021 4xe Sahara wrangler for few months now haven't made any mod yet. Went couple of easy offroad with mostly sandy and slightly rocky areas. It has been a lot of fun but I just noticed a crack on my front tire. Wondering if this is something can be fixed easily or might need consider new tire.

20210725_201206.jpg

20210725_201203.jpg
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If it's leaking, most shops won't patch a sidewall puncture. If it's not, you could consider using it as your spare.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Wendao

That tire needs to be replaced.. not safe to drive with that sidewall damage.

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
That's gonna need to be replaced, sidewall damage can rarely be fixed and when it can should only be long enough to get you off a trail. That's a highway blowout waiting to happen.
Looks deep enough to be… if it were superficial, small, and more toward the circumference/treads, youd be ok but have to keep an eye on it.
2nd on replacing it!

Sponsored

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Echo the previous responses that this particular tire needs to be replaced ASAP because it's a safety hazard waiting to happen--like a tire blowout.

I'm assuming that you're new to offroading. When you offroad, you air down all tires so the tires make more contact/have more surface area with the ground. So, for an example, from 35 PSI to 15 PSI--that lower pressure will depend on terrain.

That tire damage looks like it was hit on an object at possibly full/road tire pressure.

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
The tires looks thin?? Almost like a low profile type. What kind and what size? Some tires won't handle off road situations well.

OP
OP

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
Thank you so much for your all responses - I will replace the tire as soon as possible!

OP
OP

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
Echo the previous responses that this particular tire needs to be replaced ASAP because it's a safety hazard waiting to happen--like a tire blowout.

I'm assuming that you're new to offroading. When you offroad, you air down all tires so the tires make more contact/have more surface area with the ground. So, for an example, from 35 PSI to 15 PSI--that lower pressure will depend on terrain.

That tire damage looks like it was hit on an object at possibly full/road tire pressure.
I usually start to lower PSI to 20 to see how the car goes but I guess it is still not low enough! is there any rule of thumb how low the PSI should go depends on terrain?

OP
OP

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
The tires looks thin?? Almost like a low profile type. What kind and what size? Some tires won't handle off road situations well.
It is a stock 4xe Sahara tire and it is 275/55R20 all season with 20-inch * 8-inch wheels.

I was initially thinking this tire can handle the easy off-road just fine but I guess it is not lol. (Most difficult trail I did so far is Shafer road).

Not sure if you are familiar with this tire and rim and I have heard people saying the rim is too big and it is not good for offroad at all - would you recommend replacing both rim and tire? or just tire would be fine. thanks!

Sponsored

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
No real rule of thumb for decreasing tire pressure. It depends on the size of the tire and terrain.

For me, I play on rocks, have 35s and will go to 15 PSI. If I were running on the beach (Outer Banks), I'd be at 10 PSI.

Oh, and a Jeep isn't a car. ;)

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Get some Rubicon takeoffs and call it a day. Not only those tires are thin, but there is not enough rubber due to the wheel size.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
You can see a mark on the wheel next to it. Looks like you caught the edge of a rock or something.

OP
OP

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
No real rule of thumb for decreasing tire pressure. It depends on the size of the tire and terrain.

For me, I play on rocks, have 35s and will go to 15 PSI. If I were running on the beach (Outer Banks), I'd be at 10 PSI.

Oh, and a Jeep isn't a car. ;)
Hah : )

OP
OP

Wendao

First Name
Wendao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler rubicon 2021
Get some Rubicon takeoffs and call it a day. Not only those tires are thin, but there is not enough rubber due to the wheel size.
Great advice! I will keep my eye on!
Sponsored