Sponsored

Costs

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
For those who bought the ED for mpg purposes, are you saving money in the end after factoring in the more expensive fuel, exhaust fluid and engine upgrade cost?
Sponsored

26 confirmed

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon eco diesel
Too soon to tell yet, but it’s so worth it. I’ve only got 2300 miles on mine, but I can’t keep that right pedal off the floorboards. This torque is intoxicating.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
For those who bought the ED for mpg purposes, are you saving money in the end after factoring in the more expensive fuel, exhaust fluid and engine upgrade cost?
Just the $6k upgrade alone divided over 5 years (60 months) is $100 a month with NO interest...

You will probably not save $100 a month over regular gas ever because diesel is closer to premium cost... then there’s the DEF on top of that... not a super big expense but still it’s there, and then add in an everyday diesel treatment because the diesel we get here in the states sucks balls and has a low Cetane rating (which these Italian Diesel motors hate).... and the oil changes of 9 quarts of expensive ass oil and an $80 filter...

So yeah the operating costs are definitely higher. You’ll likely never “Save” money in your time of ownership buying new. Unless you drive it over 250k miles or more that is.

So yes it gets better MPG - it will just never save you any money because of the reasons listed above:like:

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
In my area, diesel costs 5 cents less per gallon than regular, and has been that way all year (when I started watching). The added DEF costs, to me, seem to even things out a bit.

That said, I got the diesel mainly for the massive low-end torque advantages and overall extended range. As far as I'm concerned, the added $6k cost for the diesel does not need to be be offset by fuel efficiency savings . . . its more about the overall satisfaction with the vehicle.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Torque is the main attraction for me. If you're going to plunk down that much cash for a Jeep, fuel economy and maintenance costs shouldn't be an issue.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
At one point my wife and I were considering an electric car for her commute to work. I found several real life comparisons that compared the maintenance costs and fuel (or avg price per kw) for both. Turns out full electric isn’t cheaper than gas over a 5 year period.

If they had a diesel Rubicon on the lot when we went I would probably have it now. I like diesel because 1) they tend to have more stout internals 2) they smell good 3) when we have a zombie apocalypse I’ll be able to siphon fuel out of a military truck while I restock my 9mm and 5.56. Torque is a side benefit.

Tank the Jeep

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Right now diesel is cheaper than regular at my local station. 30 MPG high is great. DEF is about $8 for 2.5 gallons at Walmart, which lasts for months. Now let’s factor in something that is not cost related... having an alternative fueled vehicle. Few years ago we had a small gas crunch when a pipeline went down. The gas stations went empty very quickly. People, including us, were lined up to get gas when a station got a load. My dad switched to his Cummings turbo and never slowed down. I bought a diesel after that. I have seen 3 or 4 small gas crunches since then, about 7 years. Having options is always good.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Hell no you're not going to save money. $4,000 engine option (which defaults you to a $2,000 transmission option), fuel that is more expensive in a majority of the U.S., oil and oil filter changes that are 4x the cost of the Pentastar oil and oil filter, fuel filters every 15k that are $50 each, DEF fluid every oil change, winter anti-gel additive for the fuel if you live in the north, etc. etc. There is NOOOO way you're going to save money. Get that idea out of your head.

Some guys are claiming 30 MPG but keep in mind that after hundreds of thousands of combined miles tracked by real owners via Fuelly.com the EcoDiesel is actually a 20-22 MPG engine. The guys with ultra high MPG numbers are either driving purely highway, or they're driving downhill with a tail wind, or they're bad at math. You're looking at low 20s realistically. What does the P-star get? 18? 19?

My EcoD is in a super aerodynamic package with active grille shutters, active air dam, and a curvy design in this Ram, unlike the Jeep which is a brick on wheels, and the best I have EVER seen was 27 on stock tires doing a purely highway jaunt for 60ish miles. My weekly tanks are in the 21 MPG range consistently.

henry

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Firecracker Red
I didn’t buy it thinking I would save money over gas. I bought it because I prefer driving a diesel. I have a Duramax as well.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
I wonder if it will run on Biodiesel.
I'll never put enough miles on one to make it pay

Sponsored

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Hell no you're not going to save money. $4,000 engine option (which defaults you to a $2,000 transmission option), fuel that is more expensive in a majority of the U.S., oil and oil filter changes that are 4x the cost of the Pentastar oil and oil filter, fuel filters every 15k that are $50 each, DEF fluid every oil change, winter anti-gel additive for the fuel if you live in the north, etc. etc. There is NOOOO way you're going to save money. Get that idea out of your head.

Some guys are claiming 30 MPG but keep in mind that after hundreds of thousands of combined miles tracked by real owners via Fuelly.com the EcoDiesel is actually a 20-22 MPG engine. The guys with ultra high MPG numbers are either driving purely highway, or they're driving downhill with a tail wind, or they're bad at math. You're looking at low 20s realistically. What does the P-star get? 18? 19?

My EcoD is in a super aerodynamic package with active grille shutters, active air dam, and a curvy design in this Ram, unlike the Jeep which is a brick on wheels, and the best I have EVER seen was 27 on stock tires doing a purely highway jaunt for 60ish miles. My weekly tanks are in the 21 MPG range consistently.
i only have 1900 miles on mine, and my dash shows 28.9 and has gone between thst and 29.2 for the last 3 weeks. I know my comparison is skewed since mine is so new, but I’m pleasantly surprised.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I am saving tons compared to my Duramax Diesel Truck I drove. But I didn't buy it to save money. No one buys a jeep to save money. If you try and justify the cost of a Diesel over the Gas engine you are wasting your time. There are many more factors to take into consideration. Until you sell it you have no idea how much more you will get for it when you resell it. How much longer will the Diesel last than a gas version?

Never did understand people trying to justify the cost of one engine over another...if you are looking for fuel savings buy a Prius. I measure mine by Fun per Mile! Nothing beats that.

If someone did buy it for saving fuel, do you get rid of it if your calculations weren't right. I doubt it. If comes down to can you afford it or not. That is the bottom line. Same with which model. The Rubicon will always resell better than any other model...just how it works.

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
If one gets a good deal on there Wrangler diesel purchase, I don't really see there is always a 6k more in costs then gasser. in fact I have seen some guys that there new Jeep gasser purchase cost more then what some of us diesel guys paid for our diesels. :facepalm::giggle::idea: Also if it really takes 200,000k miles to make that money back, its really kind of like an investment, more like you pre payed for those miles upfront or over the loan amount which is very little if you have a good interest rate:like: Did we all mention the torque and the smile on you face that comes with this way awesome 3.0 diesel engine.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
If one gets a good deal on there Wrangler diesel purchase, I don't really see there is always a 6k more in costs then gasser. in fact I have seen some guys that there new Jeep gasser purchase cost more then what some of us diesel guys paid for our diesels. :facepalm::giggle::idea: Also if it really takes 200,000k miles to make that money back, its really kind of like an investment, more like you pre payed for those miles upfront or over the loan amount which is very little if you have a good interest rate:like: Did we all mention the torque and the smile on you face that comes with this way awesome 3.0 diesel engine.
I was going to get an automatic transmission no matter what the engine...when I bought mine it was $2,000 for an automatic transmission regardless of the engine...so it never was $6K more. If someone is trying to say it takes 200,000 to pay for it...then they have never enjoyed the torque off road. That difference is well worth it and pays for itself! It is immediately worth it. Every aspect makes it more enjoyable and capable to drive. Just no comparison and price doesn't matter.

Wixo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
The diesel is our best fuel mileage vehicle We own. My other rigs only get 13. I bought it because it was the best fuel mileage off road vehicle out there. We took it out for a 150 mile road trip and about 50 was in low range. When we got back I think it cost 12$ to fill it back up at 2$ a gallon And it has about as much power to pull the big hills as my power wagon. I was pleasantly surprised.
Sponsored