Sponsored

Considering a visit to the dark side

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I’m your guy. I traded in my 2013 FJC for my current 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited JL.

I loved my FJC. I would own it and my Jeep if I could afford to.

1. The FJ is slightly more refined on the road, due to IFS. However, road/wind noise is the same in my Jeep with hard top. They are both houses on wheels. After you get used to the different steering I think you will find that the Jeep is pretty darned refined as well - just a different feel. After you get used to it, you will have an “ah-ha!” moment.

2. Mods are far, far more numerous, and generally cheaper if you shop around, than for the FJ. Aftermarket support for the Jeep is unmatched.

3. Toyota reliability is considered better than FCA.

4. Both are great off-road. The edge definitely goes to the Jeep for many reasons you probably already know.

5. Gas mileage in my 2-liter turbo Jeep is FAR better than my FJC. Power and acceleration is FAR better in the Jeep.

6. Jeep folks are *generally* friendlier, less judgmental, more supportive, with a higher-refined sarcasm. ;)

7. Both retain value extremely well.

8. You can take doors and top off of the Jeep.
Former FJC owner (2007 TRD for 12 years)...

I would have to say that I agree with the majority written above....The JLUR is pretty comparable to the FJC in many ways as far as daily driving and highway manners. Much more refined than the JKU in almost every way. That said....I think the 2 door JL will probably not have the ride that you have grown accustomed to in an FJC.

I would disagree with #7 having heavily experienced both types of owners....one is not better than the other but they are definitely different breeds. Jeep owners are definitely spoiled by the sheer mass of aftermarket goods (both good and bad)....where as in the FJC world we generally relied upon people within our own community to fill our aftermarket needs, we created a very cool micro-manufacturing world in those days. I think that we were closer due to the collaborative efforts to build our own goodies.

The only advice that I would give would be to buy a Rubicon....you will not regret it. The retained value when it comes time to sell is worth it alone.

Doc

DSC_0058_zpsdfc882c3.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

68Hawk

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E350 4Matic & 430i Xdrive
Former FJC owner (2007 TRD for 12 years)...

I would have to say that I agree with the majority written above....The JLUR is pretty comparable to the FJC in many ways as far as daily driving and highway manners. Much more refined than the JKU in almost every way. That said....I think the 2 door JL will probably not have the ride that you have grown accustomed to in an FJC.

I would disagree with #7 having heavily experienced both types of owners....one is not better than the other but they are definitely different breeds. Jeep owners are definitely spoiled by the sheer mass of aftermarket goods (both good and bad)....where as in the FJC world we generally relied upon people within our own community to fill our aftermarket needs, we created a very cool micro-manufacturing world in those days. I think that we were closer due to the collaborative efforts to build our own goodies.

The only advice that I would give would be to buy a Rubicon....you will not regret it. The retained value when it comes time to sell is worth it alone.

Doc

DSC_0058_zpsdfc882c3.jpg
Ended up with the same flat top demello on my first Fj too.....:like:
Very underrated vehicle as not too many end up behind the wheel of one. I was always surprised after renting a vehicle on vacay how much I appreciated the driving characteristics of the FJC on return to the cavern.

So, are you saying the short wheel base of the 2dr is going to give me a stiffer and bumpier ride?

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
Ended up with the same flat top demello on my first Fj too.....:like:
Very underrated vehicle as not too many end up behind the wheel of one. I was always surprised after renting a vehicle on vacay how much I appreciated the driving characteristics of the FJC on return to the cavern.

So, are you saying the short wheel base of the 2dr is going to give me a stiffer and bumpier ride?
I think so....I would definitely do a extensive test drive of both. The JL is pretty amazing Off Road but I would not count on the longevity of the FJC. In stock form...the Rubicon should be able to do everything my 3 inch lifted FJC could (and then some). Honestly...I'm leaving my JLUR alone, its that good!

Doc

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Terrific responses all. I love the loyalty of Jeepers, the objectivity of Jeepers, and zero doubt there's an 'it' thing about the Wrangler in particular that says you're family for life - or a quicky divorce is needed coz both of you just aren't that in to eachother!:)

My FJ is gone, 5 months ago now to pay for my daughter's first car and down payment for my son's. Gotta say that was one awesome thing about FJC ownership, residual value was incredible and they have one helluva niche following.

This is my favorite pic of her, getting new shoes and rubber and suspension that made my wanderlust a feed-able journey.
new%20shoes%20and%20socks%20coming_zpsgxqqnu5x.jpg

Being 51 with 3 bulging discs and arthritis in one hip, if I buy a JL there won't be ledges and boulders in our future, probably more a tear drop trailer and visits to Colorado/Utah/California where I can feel good about getting in and out of some picturesque scenery.
I know it's not what the offroad community here would think the right activity for a purpose built vehicle, but hey - I'm the guy you'll want to buy your 6 year old gently used/ well cared for vehicle from.:LOL:

Looking forward to some test drives Monday, will give an update on whether you might have to suffer me on these forums in the future, or whether it was a crash and burn.:brokenhearted:

Go Chiefs
DO IT!

IMG_0554-X3.jpg

View attachment 277992

View attachment 277993

One of my favorite trips was pulling our Tab trailer to Moab and Colorado. I don't remember if our JK was re-geared at that point, but the Jeep did well pulling it. It did get a bit hairy in Arizona with the 80 mph speed limit, wind, and big rigs flying by, but still manageable. I imagine the JL would be better with the 8-speed.

I'm the same age with knee and shoulder issues. The JL is so comfortable and feels great.

Good luck in your search.

IMG_0593-X3.jpg

IMG_0594-X3.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:
OP
OP

68Hawk

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DO IT!

IMG_0554-X3.jpg

View attachment 277992

View attachment 277993

One of my favorite trips was pulling our Tab trailer to Moab and Colorado. I don't remember if our JK was re-geared at that point, but the Jeep did well pulling it. It did get a bit hairy in Arizona with the 80 mph speed limit, wind, and big rigs flying by, but still manageable. I imagine the JL would be better with the 8-speed.

I'm the same age with knee and shoulder issues. The JL is so comfortable and feels great.

Good luck in your search.

IMG_0593-X3.jpg

IMG_0594-X3.jpg

Your rig looks a little nose up with the trailer hitched.....did you find any lightness through the front wheels on to the tarmac at speed? Was the trailer and its weight something you took in to account when deciding on the overall lift height of your Rubicon?

Thanks for the post by the way, looks absolutely beautiful living! It's what I aim to do the next 6-7 years before I retire to some beach somewhere and write a half decent novel.

Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
I test drove FJs a few times and loved the styling, the drive, the view over the hood, off-road capability and front seat comfort. That's where it ended for me. There is no rear seat ventilation as no rear windows opened, vented or anything. That was a deal killer and I went with a 4Runner Trail. It was everything the FJ was and was not. I loved the styling, the drive, the view over the hood, off-road capability and front seat comfort. I also loved the back seat leg room, back seat recliners, back seat comfort for passengers, the cargo area and capacity, the cargo slide tray, the roll down rear windows and the roll down back window, etc, etc.

Then I got the '20 JLUR that I thought was my dream Jeep. I always considered myself a Jeep person as this is my 8th Jeep so I know what I am doing and what I want, right? Exact color, all of the option I wanted... it is basically perfect. I loved the styling, the drive, the responsive 3.6L and the excellent 8AT, the view over the hood, off-road capability, UConnect 8.4 with Alpine, heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. etc.

And then after a couple of months, I started missing my 4Runner and its front seat comfort, lack of wind noise, dead pedal, greater cargo & towing capacity, reasonably sized FOB, slide out cargo tray, roll down back window, one-touch up-down all windows, highway manners, drive in the snow, steering preciseness, build quality, lack of ESS, not worrying about the multiple failures I read about on this forum, etc. etc. So now I have a '20 4Runner Off-Road Premium on order. It will be my dream 4Runner... I hope. Regardless, I am turning in my Jeeper card.

OP
OP

68Hawk

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I test drove FJs a few times and loved the styling, the drive, the view over the hood, off-road capability and front seat comfort. That's where it ended for me. There is no rear seat ventilation as no rear windows opened, vented or anything. That was a deal killer and I went with a 4Runner Trail. It was everything the FJ was and was not. I loved the styling, the drive, the view over the hood, off-road capability and front seat comfort. I also loved the back seat leg room, back seat recliners, back seat comfort for passengers, the cargo area and capacity, the cargo slide tray, the roll down rear windows and the roll down back window, etc, etc.

Then I got the '20 JLUR that I thought was my dream Jeep. I always considered myself a Jeep person as this is my 8th Jeep so I know what I am doing and what I want, right? Exact color, all of the option I wanted... it is basically perfect. I loved the styling, the drive, the responsive 3.6L and the excellent 8AT, the view over the hood, off-road capability, UConnect 8.4 with Alpine, heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc. etc.

And then after a couple of months, I started missing my 4Runner and its front seat comfort, lack of wind noise, dead pedal, greater cargo & towing capacity, reasonably sized FOB, slide out cargo tray, roll down back window, one-touch up-down all windows, highway manners, drive in the snow, steering preciseness, build quality, lack of ESS, not worrying about the multiple failures I read about on this forum, etc. etc. So now I have a '20 4Runner Off-Road Premium on order. It will be my dream 4Runner... I hope. Regardless, I am turning in my Jeeper card.
Agree completely. When I bought my last FJC around 4 years ago I test drove the 4Runner and fell completely in love.
However the powerplant was a deal killer for me. Just no get up and go. I could've lived with the ancient suspension architecture that made it feel like driving a 20 year old truck, but with no pep its no fun.
I check every 6 months or so for any snippet on the internet about an update to the Runner that would hopefully carry that stronger and more vibrant engine.
But to no avail. Yota have just milked and milked and milked that cow of every loyal 4Runner fanboy and girl and given zip in return.
I've lost patience, so it's the Jeep or the Bronco for new lands to roam for me.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
For me personally the switch was a no brainer this new jl is almost like a Cadillac compared to my last fj 40.......
The interior of the Sahara and Rubicon are like a Cadillac, in some ways more stylish. I’d say they’re like a Benz or a Rolls Royce compared to older vehicles.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Agree completely. When I bought my last FJC around 4 years ago I test drove the 4Runner and fell completely in love.
However the powerplant was a deal killer for me. Just no get up and go. I could've lived with the ancient suspension architecture that made it feel like driving a 20 year old truck, but with no pep its no fun.
They're basically the same vehicle except the FJ is shorter. Engine, transmission (except a manual was available for the FJ), and suspension are all basically the same. It must be the weight difference, gearing, or both that made the 4Runner seem sluggish in comparison. I personally never found the 4R to be sluggish but, yeah, it could've used more power.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I test-drove an FJC a few years ago and I couldn't get past the Fisher-Price interior. Also, I've seen submarines with better visibility. My daughter bought a Tundra used a couple of years ago and it hasn't been the renowned ownership experience you hear about with Toyotas. The power locks are all failing and the air injection pump system throws a CEL when she drives it in the rain.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The interior of the Sahara and Rubicon are like a Cadillac, in some ways more stylish. I’d say they’re like a Benz or a Rolls Royce compared to older vehicles.
Lol.... I know... never in my life have I wheeled while in a leather heated seat, with lumbar support, hanging on to a heated steering wheel, listening to an awesome sound system, watching my pitch and roll on a 8.4 TV screen...:facepalm:.... times have definitely changed......:)

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2008 FJC and really liked it. Owned it for 4 trouble free years. Before I bought it I test drove a Wrangler and thought it drove and handled awful in comparison to the FJC, which is why I ended up with it. I'm in a 2020 JLUR now and I think it drives better then my FJC did, but it's been gone for a few years now; so maybe my memory isn't as great as I think? All of the shortcomings that drove me away from Jeep in 2008, drove me into the dealership end of last year. I feel as though the JL is so much nicer then the JK ever was, which as I approach 50 matters more and more! Good luck with whatever you end up with!
FJ1.jpg

rumblejeep

First Name
Doublehaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sahara
For me personally the switch was a no brainer this new jl is almost like a Cadillac compared to my last fj 40.......
1AF506A8-1E9F-41DF-B691-CD6D922E51EE.jpeg

:giggle:,...... , to own a Jeep, you have to commit to it.

... :)
My wife tried to have me committed when I bought my jeep. Now we have 2. Its a pleasant ride to visit nurse Ratchet.

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I don't have any experience with the FJ, but I have towed that trailer with my 14' JKUR and my 18' JLUR, there is a significant difference in road manners with it. I think you will "love" the JL, but I would as others have recommended do an extensive test drive of both the 2 and 4 door versions. When my wife was shopping for hers, she really liked the 2 door, but she got a Unlimited after driving both of them.

Love.jpg

Trailhawk REDCON1.jpg
Sponsored