Sponsored

Consensus on best wireless Carplay dongle?

BradBrown

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 2019
It’s seems to be a little hit or miss, so make sure you return to Amazon if you have an issue and get another one.

The 2.0 in my Ram with Uconnect 4c worked flawlessly for four years before dying. We here either a 2.0 or 3.0 in the Jeep and it routinely drops cell calls.

I need to order some new ones.
It may be related to the compatibility of different car models i guess. The one I got is v3.0. So far so good.
https://autokitcarplay.com/blogs/autokit-blogs/product-u2w-plus
Sponsored

Largefarva

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Sahara
I ended up getting a carlinkit 4.0 over the weekend. Setup was painless and took less than a minute.

Connection time to my phone when getting in and starting up has for the most part been pretty quick. The longest it has taken so far is maybe around 30-40 seconds but every other time it ranges from maybe 5 seconds upwards to 20 seconds.

I mounted it in my center console but might move it to the front dash Reason for this is that it lost connection with my phone once so far, yesterday when I was on my way home from work. If it does it again I’ll move it and see how reliable the connection is.

I bought a small usb a to usb c cable that has a right angle on the usb an end for connecting to the usb a port in the front dash if I do need to move it there. I already have the usb c port utilized to power my extra cell phone that is paired with my radar detector. The carlinkit would then reside in the recessed space at the very bottom of the front console and in front of the shifter….it’ll be out of the way there and hardly noticeable.

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I ended up getting a carlinkit 4.0 over the weekend. Setup was painless and took less than a minute.

Connection time to my phone when getting in and starting up has for the most part been pretty quick. The longest it has taken so far is maybe around 30-40 seconds but every other time it ranges from maybe 5 seconds upwards to 20 seconds.

I mounted it in my center console but might move it to the front dash Reason for this is that it lost connection with my phone once so far, yesterday when I was on my way home from work. If it does it again I’ll move it and see how reliable the connection is.

I bought a small usb a to usb c cable that has a right angle on the usb an end for connecting to the usb a port in the front dash if I do need to move it there. I already have the usb c port utilized to power my extra cell phone that is paired with my radar detector. The carlinkit would then reside in the recessed space at the very bottom of the front console and in front of the shifter….it’ll be out of the way there and hardly noticeable.
There's a massive thread on CarPlay from the center console (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-gotten-the-newest-update-report-in.77165/).

The TLDR is there's a ton of us where it's spotty from the center console. The best solution to mitigate the symptoms has usually involved buying a different USBA->USBC cable, or using a USBA->USBC adapter paired with a USBC->USBC cable. Note that no combination of cables/adapters ever got my actual phone to work from the center console without drops, just my Carlinkit. I think it's safe to say while there's speculation, nobody has truly identified what's going on and no trip to the dealer has fixed it.

The cable/adapter situation worked about 95% of the time for me, but about once or twice a week I'd have to unplug/plug in the adapter to get it to work, which is super annoying cause not only do I have to open the center console, I have center console organizers I have to take them out too. I also found issues that the center connector is more "wiggly" than the dash, so when I went over bumps sometimes I'd lose my CarPlay and then have to wait for the reconnection period.

In the end I didn't find it worth it to hide what I can just use a short right-angled cable and have it be barely noticeable. The dash is 100% and rock solid over bumps (even off roading) so I'm happier this way.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
There's a massive thread on CarPlay from the center console (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-gotten-the-newest-update-report-in.77165/).

The TLDR is there's a ton of us where it's spotty from the center console. The best solution to mitigate the symptoms has usually involved buying a different USBA->USBC cable, or using a USBA->USBC adapter paired with a USBC->USBC cable. Note that no combination of cables/adapters ever got my actual phone to work from the center console without drops, just my Carlinkit. I think it's safe to say while there's speculation, nobody has truly identified what's going on and no trip to the dealer has fixed it.

The cable/adapter situation worked about 95% of the time for me, but about once or twice a week I'd have to unplug/plug in the adapter to get it to work, which is super annoying cause not only do I have to open the center console, I have center console organizers I have to take them out too. I also found issues that the center connector is more "wiggly" than the dash, so when I went over bumps sometimes I'd lose my CarPlay and then have to wait for the reconnection period.

In the end I didn't find it worth it to hide what I can just use a short right-angled cable and have it be barely noticeable. The dash is 100% and rock solid over bumps (even off roading) so I'm happier this way.
I bought a CarlinKit 4 and installed it with help. Upgraded it several times. I returned it after experiencing problems....in a short 10 minute drive it would start then drop out after a minute or two. Typically this would happen 3 times in this short drive.
I contacted the vendor through amazon canada. Their take==it's because my iphone is paired to my two hearing aids using an App provided by Phonak, the hearing aid company. This is essential to me, for safety reasons.

I wish the carlinKit worked for me. Question--is it because i updated the CarlinKit 4?

DaveL

Largefarva

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Sahara

When that cable gets delivered tomorrow I’m pretty sure I’m going to go ahead and do you did and install it in that little crevice between the very bottom of the front dash and the front of console where the shifter is at. So far though I’m really liking having wireless carplay though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
I bought a CarlinKit 4 and installed it with help. Upgraded it several times. I returned it after experiencing problems....in a short 10 minute drive it would start then drop out after a minute or two. Typically this would happen 3 times in this short drive.
I contacted the vendor through amazon canada. Their take==it's because my iphone is paired to my two hearing aids using an App provided by Phonak, the hearing aid company. This is essential to me, for safety reasons.

I wish the carlinKit worked for me. Question--is it because i updated the CarlinKit 4?

DaveL
Is that happening from the dash or the center console? If from the console, that's a known problem, so try it from the dash.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is that happening from the dash or the center console? If from the console, that's a known problem, so try it from the dash.
Mine works perfectly from the center/armrest console.

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Overall I feel happy for you but it is tinged with some contempt lol. Unfortunately as you can see by the size of the mega thread I'm not even close to the only one :(

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've tried both. But as the manufacturer suggested, I returned the dongle to amazon, and have been paid back.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Please help...when you installed the dongle did you upgrade it? (I did several updates; I wonder if that was the reason why it wouldn't work in my Wrangler. My iPhone has my two hearing aids paired and managing software on it.) It's a corporate phone.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

when you installed the dongle did you upgrade it?
No. I never did an update on it. There's been no need.

This is the one I have installed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P1GWQDB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure you do not have your phone also paired to UConnect. If you also have the phone connected/paired to UConnect (meaning paired to the radio itself), it will cause issues. Delete the phone connection on the radio and then also delete the UConnect connection from the Bluetooth setting on your phone.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Thanks for your comment!

I have hearing aids due to exposure to loud noise at work. They are excellent. They are paired to my work iPhone, which is a managed phone. (It's controlled and supervised by my employer). When I receive a phone call, I answer the call and speak through my hearing aids. Works really well when it works.
So having the hearing aids paired to my phone is essential. I can finally hear mobile equipment approaching from behind.
Yes my phone is connected to Uconnect.

I appreciate your advice. I really miss wireless carplay and may purchase an adapter again. If so, I won't upgrade it when it prompts me to.

DaveL
Toronto

Largefarva

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Sahara

Do you have a link to the right hand adapter cable you bought and works for you? The one I got doesn’t play well. Tonight on my way into work the carlinkit unit froze up my entire stereo 10 minutes into my drive. It was completely unresponsive until I unplugged it and the stereo immediately went back to normal behavior. So I grabbed one of the cables that came with the carlinkit (the usb a to usb c) and used that….it was fine for the rest of my drive. This was using the front dash usb a port.

Tom Barry

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangle 2018
There are many website store sells carlinkit wireless carplay. Like carlinkitcarplay.com...
I got mine from https://autokitcarplay.com/ The most important thing is I can get technical support from their customer service. I subscribed their store and sometiomes I can get promo code. Just share to those who are interest in.
Jeep Wrangler JL Consensus on best wireless Carplay dongle? 18% MBF CHRIS PRO CODE

OP
OP
blink9cd

blink9cd

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Willys
Do you have a link to the right hand adapter cable you bought and works for you? The one I got doesn’t play well. Tonight on my way into work the carlinkit unit froze up my entire stereo 10 minutes into my drive. It was completely unresponsive until I unplugged it and the stereo immediately went back to normal behavior. So I grabbed one of the cables that came with the carlinkit (the usb a to usb c) and used that….it was fine for the rest of my drive. This was using the front dash usb a port.
This has a first post with a good summary and a link to the larger thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...in-center-console-–-cplayair-carlinkit.98915/
Sponsored