Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Hey Michael,

This is odd and something I haven't heard of before. We ran all of our parts on our JL for several months and did a lot of highway driving and didn't have an issue. Do you know about what RPM you're running at when you feel like you're losing power?

To confirm that it is definitely the intake causing the issue, would you be willing to reinstall our intake and perform the same run? If there's any way you can log commanded vs actual boost, that would be super helpful too (not sure if that's even possible with this ECU right now).

I just went through a similar situation with my GTI (which uses a very similar turbo system as the JL, including the same diverter valve). Sometimes it would feel quick like it should, then sometimes in fourth gear it would fall flat on its face like it had no boost. I thought it was the DV+ I just installed, swapped back to stock DV, issue went away. As soon as I emailed GFB, the issue came back. Turns out my PCV valve was intermittently failing and causing the same symptoms as a bad DV.

All of that is to say that these engines do very strange things sometimes and it's tough to pinpoint issues. This really sounds like a high-load boost issue to me, but either way I'm happy to help any way I can.

-Steve
Thanks for the reply Steve. Yes, certainly would give it a shot and run through troubleshooting. She's on loan and is somewhere out Midwest with a friend so it'll be mid-August before I can re-install and document the problems. I definitely want to try and make it work.
Sponsored

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Thanks for the reply Steve. Yes, certainly would give it a shot and run through troubleshooting. She's on loan and is somewhere out Midwest with a friend so it'll be mid-August before I can re-install and document the problems. I definitely want to try and make it work.
No problem at all, I'll be here when it's back with you!

-Steve

OP
OP
Avar928

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So a follow up I got my Jeep back and went ahead and reinstalled the CAI. First checked for any leaks in and around the IC pipe with some Windex and blipping the throttle a bit. None. Buttoned up the CAI and rechecked for any leaks and ran the gauntlet for a few days.

First day went well, performance appeared to be back to baseline. Not sure if it's me or anything but I do get a bit more lag when it's warming up from cold but it normalizes. The flatness feels like it's mostly gone under heavy load. I'm looking for consistency so will keep checking it on all ranges this coming week. I may swap back to stock for a day or so to get a re-feel of performance. Could have been a leak somewhere that's now sealed but who knows, I at least have some check points to look at if I feel it flatten again.

@Mishimoto Prior to buttoning it back up, I did notice some plastic flakes coming off from the oiled filter. Looks to be peeling from the seam line, I cleaned it with a rag and pulled off more flakes until it was all smooth. Made sure it was all gone before installing, something to note. I definitely didn't want that ingested at all.

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
So a follow up I got my Jeep back and went ahead and reinstalled the CAI. First checked for any leaks in and around the IC pipe with some Windex and blipping the throttle a bit. None. Buttoned up the CAI and rechecked for any leaks and ran the gauntlet for a few days.

First day went well, performance appeared to be back to baseline. Not sure if it's me or anything but I do get a bit more lag when it's warming up from cold but it normalizes. The flatness feels like it's mostly gone under heavy load. I'm looking for consistency so will keep checking it on all ranges this coming week. I may swap back to stock for a day or so to get a re-feel of performance. Could have been a leak somewhere that's now sealed but who knows, I at least have some check points to look at if I feel it flatten again.

@Mishimoto Prior to buttoning it back up, I did notice some plastic flakes coming off from the oiled filter. Looks to be peeling from the seam line, I cleaned it with a rag and pulled off more flakes until it was all smooth. Made sure it was all gone before installing, something to note. I definitely didn't want that ingested at all.
Hey Michael,

To test for boost leaks, you'd really need to pressurize the system from the turbo - throttle at idle won't produce enough pressure to show anything without the engine being loaded. I usually use a coupler on the turbo inlet with a PVC cap and compressor fitting to pressurize the intake, just make sure you're not pressurizing any of the PCV ports in the wrong direction. Something like this usually works and you don't necessarily need the gauge if your compressor has one on it:
Boost-Test.png

But, I wouldn't go through the trouble if it's feeling normal now. And sorry to hear about the flaking on the filter. Could it have been rubber flashing from the molding process? There shouldn't be any plastic on the filter, so just wanted to make sure. Either way, I'll pass it on to the team to make sure QC knows to look out for it.

-Steve

OP
OP
Avar928

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Michael,

To test for boost leaks, you'd really need to pressurize the system from the turbo - throttle at idle won't produce enough pressure to show anything without the engine being loaded. I usually use a coupler on the turbo inlet with a PVC cap and compressor fitting to pressurize the intake, just make sure you're not pressurizing any of the PCV ports in the wrong direction. Something like this usually works and you don't necessarily need the gauge if your compressor has one on it:
Jeep Wrangler JL Cold Air Intake woes... Boost-Test

But, I wouldn't go through the trouble if it's feeling normal now. And sorry to hear about the flaking on the filter. Could it have been rubber flashing from the molding process? There shouldn't be any plastic on the filter, so just wanted to make sure. Either way, I'll pass it on to the team to make sure QC knows to look out for it.

-Steve
Hi Steve,

It was the flashing, definitely not on the filter!

Sounds like a good set up. I'll mock one up if I feel any drop-offs this week.

Michael

Sponsored

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Hey @Avar928,

Can't remember if I asked this already, but did you by chance change where you were getting fuel around the same time you put on the intake? Reading back over the thread, it could sound like a timing advance issue that I've felt with bad fuel before.

Thanks,
-Steve

OP
OP
Avar928

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @Avar928,

Can't remember if I asked this already, but did you by chance change where you were getting fuel around the same time you put on the intake? Reading back over the thread, it could sound like a timing advance issue that I've felt with bad fuel before.

Thanks,
-Steve
None that I recall, I gas up at either of two regular spots. When it was happening I switched over to stock on the same tank and it felt fine. I'm leaning towards it being a leak somewhere. So far so good I have been fairly consistent with performance this week (knock on wood). There has been about 1,700mi since initial install and removal and this install though. Not sure if that could have cleared whatever issue the initial install had but I'm hoping it stays the way it is now.

Mishimoto

First Name
Mishi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
None that I recall, I gas up at either of two regular spots. When it was happening I switched over to stock on the same tank and it felt fine. I'm leaning towards it being a leak somewhere. So far so good I have been fairly consistent with performance this week (knock on wood). There has been about 1,700mi since initial install and removal and this install though. Not sure if that could have cleared whatever issue the initial install had but I'm hoping it stays the way it is now.
Gotcha, just figured I'd throw it out there. Fingers crossed everything continues to perform well :fingerscrossed:

Thanks!
-Steve

Last edited:

jthoms1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’m trying to bring this thing back from the dead. I just put the Mishimoto 2.0 CAI on my Jeep. I bought it from a forum member on here. He may or may not have had issues, I didn't ask. Anyway, this is throwing a CEL P1CEA I believe. It is related to the evap system or something, but the CEL seems related to the CAI. It’s a known issue. I have disconnected the battery to try and reset the computer. The first time I just disconnected the negative wire, the second reset I did both. Anyway, it has come back again. With that said, I also hear a fairly loud sucking sound from the CAI. It’s designed with an opening in the top cover that could be the culprit. I don’t know though. Are the sucking sound and the CEL related or are they two distinct elements? One, the CAI is just louder under the hood than stock. Two, your issue with the CEL is something else. Anyway, that was my keyboard diarrhea of my thoughts but would love any thoughts or knowledge.

Sponsored

Boosted_Rubi

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
Anyone else having the “goose honk” running this setup. I’m getting this now with same setup (dv+, mishimoto intake, mishimoto intercooler pipe and catch can). Going to check the couplers (again) and put a stock diverted back on and see what happens

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I just put the Mishimoto 2.0 CAI on my Jeep.

Anyway, this is throwing a CEL P1CEA I believe. It is related to the evap system or something, but the CEL seems related to the CAI. It’s a known issue.
Is the air filter dry, or oiled? The latter is known to cause periodic CELs, with the dry filter option being the accepted fix (per owner comments in related threads.)

Anyone else having the “goose honk” running this setup.
From personal experience, intake honk is oftentimes a byproduct of de-restricted air intakes. Just an FYI.

Boosted_Rubi

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T
per recomendation of GFB,i removed the main spring. Honk is gone (but so is the responsiveness of the setup) ill most likely go back to the OEM diverter

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Does it honk like this?

808State

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I just installed the Mishimoto CAI on my Sport S and really love it up until about 75mph. Sounds beautiful and feels like she pulls better along with the IC pipe and GFB DV+ I put on earlier this year. However, after 75 but more approaching and after 80 my Jeep struggles. I feel I have to floor it just to get anything. With stock it was surprisingly easy to get up to triple digits, shocked me a few times but now it's a struggle to keep up with traffic in the area or pass cars let alone big rigs (highway speed limit 55, realistic flow speed 70-75, passing speed 80+).

The wrangler is going half country soon again and I'm contemplating going back to stock for the intake and selling my basically brand new CAI (with cleaner) if anyone is interested.

Anyone have these issues? Great pull and response mid range but after that, basically feels dead.
i had the same issues with mishimoto. i installed the CAI and a CEL came on. Put the stock one back cleared the codes and everything was good. then i installed the Mishimoto intercooler pipe. CEL came on with that too. put the stock one back and all good. so i finally installed the BANKS CAI and no CEL for the past 10k miles and it sounds good. Also installed the turbosmart BOV and again no CEL's for the past 5k miles. Dont know about mishimoto. i also tried the AFE CAI and that threw a code also. so far Banks CAI and the Turbosmart are my picks. Just waiting for the BANKS exhaust to come out.
Sponsored