First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Should I order the factory cold air intake option on my new JLUR? Does it make any real difference? I am not looking to spend $525 for 2 peak HP and no real world difference. I have no other plan to boost HP.
Ordering a 2.0T. Live and wheel in Southern Cal.
Sponsored

taxjoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-door Wrangler Rubicon (ordered 4/3/21)
I don't think the cold air intake option is available for the 2.0 engine. Only available in the 3.6 non-eTorque engine with manual transmission. However, if you are willing to accept the 3.6 non-eTorque engine and manual transmission, I would get it. I have read opinions from all over the place on the internet but I think the truth is this option really does not make much of a difference. Yes, it has a larger diameter intake tube, different air filter and you have the option of adding an external intake flapped hole on the hood (but the idea of cutting into the hood bothers me a bit but, if done right, it kind of looks cool - but messes up the Rubicon and Tiki Bob stickers). I also like the looks of the air filter cover. Has that jeep design on it (similar to the all weather floor mats). So, given you did not want to spend $525 for no real world difference, then I would not get it. I just ordered at 2-door Rubicon with the 3.6 eTorque engine (and the forced automatic transmission) and realized I could not get this option but I would have if it were available.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Most modern CAI are primarily for looks and sound.

These days automakers go through great lengths to optimize air intake and engine noise, rendering CAI trophy accessories.

If you are going to get it, do it because you like the looks and the engine growl, not because you expect dramatic performance gains. That ain’t gonna happen.

Good luck.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Should I order the factory cold air intake option on my new JLUR?
Only if you don't like the money staying in your pocket.

Being initially interested in Cold Air Intakes, I shopped them hard before and after I took delivery of my new JLU. The consensus from a plurality of sites conducting objective performance tests was that the gains, if any, were negligible...and sometimes inaccessible (in a practical sense), in terms of how fast the engine might need to be spinning to use the provided gains.

Said differently: We're driving Wranglers, not Boxsters. This, for example, is what makes the aftermarket exhaust acceleration videos on YouTube so humorous to watch. It's not accidental that they're so careful to deny the drone that is sometimes still there under steady driving, which is where our Jeeps usually live. How many folks reading this post have found it necessary to change out a particular aftermarket exhaust because of pronounced drone that the manufacturer claimed wasn't an issue?

Arguably, the factory airbox design provides a modest CAI effect (I know this is a matter of degrees.) I also have the 2.0T. It's lively enough in stock form that I've no complaints, and I'm no longer chasing my tail regarding pricey add-ons that may do little more than empty my wallet.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I got a 3.6 version online for $325 and Installed it myself. Mopar calls it a performance part but does not publish HP or torque gains. I have never seen a dyno test report. I like that it is a true factory outside air intake, a rare option in the automotive world. The stock intake is engineered for less sound, not performance
Jeep Wrangler JL Cold air intake factory option stock JL 3.6 air intake tube (a
Jeep Wrangler JL Cold air intake factory option stock JL 3.6 air intake tube (b

Mopar CAI tube with straight thur design
Jeep Wrangler JL Cold air intake factory option Mopar CAI tub

Last edited:

Sponsored

taxjoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-door Wrangler Rubicon (ordered 4/3/21)
I got a 3.6 version online for $325 and Installed it myself. Mopar calls it a performance part but does not publish HP or torque gains. I have never seen a dyno test report. I like that it is a true factory outside air intake, a rare option in the automotive world.
Do you know if this cold air intake from Mopar will fit on the 3.6 with eTorque?

mandrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
No power gain, but a CAI can improve the sound and throttle respose.

BenDiem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 991.2TT; 23 EVO RWD
Occupation
US Gov’t Contractor & Gym Rat
All,

Check out www.Jegs.com. Performance company out of Ohio. I was coincidentally looking at CAIs and performance exhausts just this afternoon and most sell for around $350. Several options available for the 2.0T.

Some CAIs on their website actually publish performance gains. Believe at your own risk.

I believe CAIs are a bit of snake oil, but I am also aware that a properly manufactured CAI can provide minimal performance gains in conjunction with a performance exhaust. More air in and more air out (combustion) equals small performance gains. This is the route I’m going.
I’m mainly interested in eye and ear candy, lol...

cheers all/B

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMC GREMLIN, GMC SIERRA, 21 WILLYS
Does anyone know if you order the dealer installed cold air intake if it comes with the flap on duct to install on the hood. I don't mind them not installing it but I would like to at least have it in case I want to install it myself.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
I too am waiting for my JLUR 3.6L 6-speed and have done quite a bit of research and watched many product review videos. I agree with everyone above..."ear and eye candy" sums it up well.

From what i have seen in other threads, the CIA is installed prior to delivery and they give you the external port as a kit for DIY. Check this Video for the installation. It was obvious from the install video that the external opening did not add a significant pathway for air, so u are cutting your hood for nothing. If you want a funtional port, the best one i have seen is from S&B, which can be paired with their CIA.

As for me I passed on the CIA and will put the money towards recovery and security.
Sponsored