Sponsored

Cold air intake recommendations and feedback?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate the detailed information. The S&B model I'm looking at has both options so ill go with the dry filter. I definitely do not want problems in the long run
Your welcome. Years ago I installed a CAI with oiled filter on my TJ. After a few months, I noticed some drivability issues, centered around the throttle and idle. I did some research and inspected my air intake system. After finding a gritty and oily mess covering the inside of my throttle body and associated sensors, I cleaned everything and went back to a stock intake and filter. Never had another drivability issue after that.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I appreciate the detailed information. The S&B model I'm looking at has both options so ill go with the dry filter. I definitely do not want problems in the long run
It will dress up the engine bay and the sound over 3k and especially at WOT can be addictive. The main problem I have w/ CAIs on motors that don't have an abundance of low end torque is the CAIs rob some of that low end torque for some gains of high end HP.

IME we need all that low end torque we can get :)

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
I am going with the AFE filter, seems to be a happy balance
Jeep Wrangler JL Cold air intake recommendations and feedback? 1610555885565

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I am going with the AFE filter, seems to be a happy balance
Jeep Wrangler JL Cold air intake recommendations and feedback? 1610555885565
I went with this one as well. Stock filter was filthy at around 7k miles. I just cleaned this one after a couple thousand miles and it had a decent amount of dust on it. Washed it, let it dry and reinstalled. Quick and easy. No other real benefits noticed from it though.

ragnearok

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I just installed the K&N Performance a.k.a Blackhawk and I love it in combination with my I drive Throttle Controller. It really seems to wake up the 3.6. Admittedly I did the CAI for sound and not so much for performance gains. In the future I would like to upgrade exhaust.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
K&N filters are great for race motor application. They flow more air. With that said, please be aware that race motors are torn down and gone thorough often. OFTEN. You do not find race motors with 200,000 miles on them. I have used K&N filters on ATVs and SxS for years. On my SxS and ATVs, I also used a prefilter that helped keep more of the fine dust out. Note 6,000 miles on a SxS or an ATV is a lot of miles and no where near 200,000+ that you would want to get out of your Jeep.

I do not run K&N on a vehicle I plan to put a ton of miles on. The saving and performance gains are just not worth it the decrease in longevity. Some will say that the cost savings of the K&N is nice as you can wash it and reuse the filter. True, you can. You will need to wash it more often than you will need to replace a OEM filter. The recharge kits are almost $15 or so on Amazon after tax

Jeep Wrangler JL Cold air intake recommendations and feedback? 1610824833392

K&N Filter Cleaning Kit... on Amazon

You can buy the stock air filter for $18 dollars. So there is no real saving in cost unless your time of about an hour and half is only worth $3.

Mopar Jeep Air Filter

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I went with the mopar. No hassle at The dealer; easier to get the pulsar in and out as needed; lets me go from a highflow filter commuting to a paper filter when on the trail; sounds good; makes power.

this was my mixed driving commute on 37’s with stock 4.10’s using pulsar and mopar intake, no hypermileing stuff. Just driving.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cold air intake recommendations and feedback? 63BD2FA3-38B6-47DC-A927-7EA29FCF2BA8

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the mopar. No hassle at The dealer; easier to get the pulsar in and out as needed; lets me go from a highflow filter commuting to a paper filter when on the trail; sounds good; makes power.

this was my mixed driving commute on 37’s with stock 4.10’s using pulsar and mopar intake, no hypermileing stuff. Just driving.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cold air intake recommendations and feedback? 63BD2FA3-38B6-47DC-A927-7EA29FCF2BA8
I dont get how. I can't get over 17mpg with my Jeep and I have 35s. Have AFE drop in filter. Maybe the gearing lets you hit 8th more often?

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I dont get how. I can't get over 17mpg with my Jeep and I have 35s. Have AFE drop in filter. Maybe the gearing lets you hit 8th more often?
are you on 3.73’s? If youre on 3.73’s theres nothing you can do to make that truck drive right but gears. imo people should budget gears with tires. Id go 4.56 For 35’s. My gears go in a couple weeks and i cant wait.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
are you on 3.73’s? If youre on 3.73’s theres nothing you can do to make that truck drive right but gears. imo people should budget gears with tires. Id go 4.56 For 35’s. My gears go in a couple weeks and i cant wait.
I think it's actually 3.45 :/. I have a jlu sport

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I think it's actually 3.45 :/. I have a jlu sport
yeah sorry man but your hosed. Youll get efficiency back from an intake down the road but any money you spend that isnt gears will just be shooting yourself in the foot. Get that thing regeared. Why didnt you regear? Didnt think youd need to? Cost with lift/tires etc?

Asero

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler
I have the Holley and I like how it uses the factory inlet location. Little to no worry about pulling in water. It also sounds pretty good although a bit of a plasticy resonance. The way it presses the filter into the box itself is kind of annoying but an intersting idea. Overall a 4 out of 5.
Do you have any video of the sound? Interested to hear what it sounds like.

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
Unfortunatley I dont have any reordings and I am not sure a phone recording would help much based on the youtube videos out there. I may slap a mat of dynamat on the airbox to cut down on the resonance. That way its more engine than plastic resonance. I am nitpikcing a bit for sure.

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I like my mopar intake for the filter flexibility. I run a k&n on the street and have the paper mopar filter for the trail. Nice part about the mopar is you can run an oem filter for very high dust, a paper filter for trail / normal dust and street, or an oiled filter if you know you'll be only on pavement in a non-dusty part of the country. There are lots of filter options with the oem airbox

that, and what jeeper can resist an easter egg airbox and the opportunity to cut up your hood!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I just installed the K&N Performance a.k.a Blackhawk and I love it in combination with my I drive Throttle Controller. It really seems to wake up the 3.6. Admittedly I did the CAI for sound and not so much for performance gains. In the future I would like to upgrade exhaust.
Pair it with the dynomax muffler delete, you'll love it.

I've been looking for a velocity stack type intake like I've had on my tuner cars. The K&N Blackhawk actually has one but no one really shows this on their site. I found a video on extremeterrain where they did the install, lo and behold it has the velocity stack. Lots of good reviews and out of stock at northridge, so I just ordered mine from ET.
Sponsored