First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I still struggle with the clutch feel after 3000 miles!! Especially with the radio up..
Struggle is real. Hydraulic clutch + drive by electronic = PITA

I think the biggest mistake was not being drive by wire for the throttle. Reverse sometimes gets the super jerks backing up my driveway not getting enough from the throttle controller UGH. But otherwise amazin machine.
Sponsored

xsaltlifex

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 black on black 6 spd 2 door
Struggle is real. Hydraulic clutch + drive by electronic = PITA

I think the biggest mistake was not being drive by wire for the throttle. Reverse sometimes gets the super jerks backing up my driveway not getting enough from the throttle controller UGH. But otherwise amazin machine.
I think the gearing for reverse is a little tall which does not help! Hopefully when I get my 4:88's it will help.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I still struggle with the clutch feel after 3000 miles!! Especially with the radio up..
I put on a Flowmaster American Thunder muffler delete pipe, and it helped. I didn't realize how bad the revs hang on this motor. That was part of the problem. Half the time when I'm driving, I can't even see the tach. It's too far to the left.

I think the rest of it is the nature of the clutch. I'm probably different from average, in that 90% of my manual transmission time has been in 18-wheelers. They have to train new truckers NOT to press the clutch to the floor to change gears, because the last bit of travel engages the clutch brake. That's why so many old big trucks have no clutch brake, and go BRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrCLUNK at stop lights.

It's natural for me not to go all the way to the bottom, and this thing feels fully released after I just barely push it in. My old Ford with a purely mechanical linkage, and basically every manual car, pickup, or big truck I ever drove, you feel a definite breaking point. You ease into it. You can ride it to feather the clutch when backing up.

The clutch in this thing, it's pretty much fully engaged or fully released, and it only takes like 1" of travel to release all the way. That's what makes it so tricky. You can go through all the gears just barely tapping the thing, and it doesn't feel the slightest bit like you're burning or forcing anything. You can also go all the way to the floor. It's like everything from 1" to say 10" of travel is exactly the same. All the wiggle room is within that 1".

It's weird, but I'm figuring it out. I really only look stupid in situations like when I'm uphill, in a bottom, about to turn left across four lanes up a hill with traffic coming in both directions. Do NOT want to stall. Rev to 6,000 RPM like a panicked little high school cheerleader in her daddy's Camaro. Or else stall, and hit the start button from the middle of a four lane road at the bottom of a mountain with trucks barrelling down at you with their jakes blaring and their brakes throwing smoke.

I also stall a lot in reverse. I mean a depressing amount. Reverse is kind of high geared, and hard to feather, due to the on or off nature of this clutch.

Hey, I love it anyway. My son actually has a lot more experience than I do driving a manual in "normal" vehicles. I taught him stick on the old Ford, and he had a Subaru 5-speed where 1st gear took a shit, and he had to start in 2nd for six months. I feel better when he's behind the wheel, and he screws everything up too.

We'll both figure it out. In spite of looking stupid, we can get down the road and do what needs to be done, so it is what it is.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The clutch in this thing, it's pretty much fully engaged or fully released, and it only takes like 1" of travel to release all the way.
Mine is not like that at all, for what it’s worth. I also have no rev hang unless I shift at like 5k.

My opinion is that gearing makes all the difference with the 6sp. Rubicon gearing makes sense.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
My opinion is that gearing makes all the difference with the 6sp. Rubicon gearing makes sense.
I agree completely. The factory ratio is just too high. I think if I stay with the factory tire size, 3.73 would be the ideal balance of performance and fuel economy, and for anything bigger, 4.10 or lower. I haven't figured out which way I'm going to go on tires yet. I only had so much money to play with starting to build this thing out, and I devoted that budget to recovery gear.
Sponsored