Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Did he pull the cotter pin and check them? If he did a "quick check" I highly doubt it. That is the only way to know for sure. Dude, just pull the cotter pin yourself, throw a wrench on it and tighten it. You will know right away, if it's really hard to turn they they are in fact OK most likely. If it's really easy to turn then you will hear the clicking as you tighten them down and it will eventually stop clicking. One of my jeeps was so loose I could turn it by hand.
Don't rely on them for something so simple. Plus you will feel a sense of accomplishment :)
Sponsored

eric12345

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Will do. Wanted to give dealer a chance since I just bought the jeep 20 days ago. But yes, will now just put a wrench on it myself I did put my hands on it already and its not loose at all, at least not that I can turn it by hand. Thanks for teh encouragement.

AlohaRich

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willy’s
Big thanks for the info in this thread. I had this issue as well, and after tightening the two castle nuts, I’m golden. Interestingly enough, my passenger side was more loose than the drivers side, which maybe needed a quarter to half turn. Passenger side needed maybe a full turn. It was pretty bad.

Did the fix with a 22mm wrench , with wheels on, took maybe 15min.

Pro tip: To remove the cotter pins (credit to youtube), use your needle nose to straighten/flatten the ends of pin as best you can, then use side cutter pliers to twist out the pin. You get way more leverage this way vs needle nose pliers. Just work it out slowly by twisting the pliers, using the blade to grip the pin, and the flat side against the bolt.

Also, the cotter pins can be had at Lowes as well in their “specialty fastener“ aisle, where the screws are. You can pick up an assortment of them for 4 bucks, or the precise size you need for two for a ~dollar.

Link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-66-Piece-Steel-Zinc-Plated-Pins-Fastener-Kit/3343856

Last edited:

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Big thanks for the info in this thread. I had this issue as well, and after tightening the two castle nuts, I’m golden. Interestingly enough, my passenger side was more loose than the drivers side, which maybe needed a quarter to half turn. Passenger side needed maybe a full turn. It was pretty bad.

Did the fix with a 22mm wrench , with wheels on, took maybe 15min.

Pro tip: To remove the cotter pins (credit to youtube), use your needle nose to straighten/flatten the ends of pin as best you can, then use side cutter pliers to twist out the pin. You get way more leverage this way vs needle nose pliers. Just work it out slowly by twisting the pliers, using the blade to grip the pin, and the flat side against the bolt.

Also, the cotter pins can be had at Lowes as well in their “specialty fastener“ aisle, where the screws are. You can pick up an assortment of them for 4 bucks, or the precise size you need for two for a ~dollar.

Link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-66-Piece-Steel-Zinc-Plated-Pins-Fastener-Kit/3343856
without reading this entire thread, is this "the fix" pretty much? I'm going into my dealer for its first oil change ('21 JLUW) and instead of having them diagnose, I wanted to either show them this thread, show them the TSB (I think there is one?) or tell them exactly what to do. So would that be just tightening all the ball joint castle nuts?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
without reading this entire thread, is this "the fix" pretty much? I'm going into my dealer for its first oil change ('21 JLUW) and instead of having them diagnose, I wanted to either show them this thread, show them the TSB (I think there is one?) or tell them exactly what to do. So would that be just tightening all the ball joint castle nuts?
Yes

Sponsored

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
anyone know that if you leave the clicking going for a while... if it could damage anything? I'm not going to the dealer for another few weeks and I've already put 4k on it since I bought it (bought with 19k on it, now have 23k) so I suspect the mild clicking has been going on for a while now.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
anyone know that if you leave the clicking going for a while... if it could damage anything? I'm not going to the dealer for another few weeks and I've already put 4k on it since I bought it (bought with 19k on it, now have 23k) so I suspect the mild clicking has been going on for a while now.
You might start to wallow out the knuckle that the ball joint sits in but I wouldn't stress over it at this point. Have the dealer tighten them down then it's on record.

will516713

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Running into the same clicking issue. For those of you that torqued yourselves, how did you guys even fit a torque wrench in there? My 1/2'' drive Tekton torque wrench and shallow 22mm socket did not even fit at the bottom castle nut where you have more space. I would have to take the tire off to get to it. The top one has even less space and the wrench would not fit there even if the tire was off. I did not try my 3/8 wrench because i did not have a 2mm socket for it, but im not convinced it would fit the top nut.

Am i overlooking anything?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Running into the same clicking issue. For those of you that torqued yourselves, how did you guys even fit a torque wrench in there? My 1/2'' drive Tekton torque wrench and shallow 22mm socket did not even fit at the bottom castle nut where you have more space. I would have to take the tire off to get to it. The top one has even less space and the wrench would not fit there even if the tire was off. I did not try my 3/8 wrench because i did not have a 2mm socket for it, but im not convinced it would fit the top nut.

Threw an adjustable wrench on it and turned it until it stopped clicking while I was turning it.

Inthedash

First Name
MW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 JLR

I used a crowfoot attached to my torque wrench. These are not as common it seems and a little harder to find a set. Regardless I found it needed more than recommended torques unfortunately.

Sponsored

will516713

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
@mgroeger @Inthedash I ended up just cranking down on the bottom castle nuts with a regular wrench. Driver side was tight but Passenger side was able to be tightened down several turns.
So like you guys said, I just tightened down as tight as I could, ignoring the torque spec, but I don’t hear the clicking anymore.

blackJLURubi

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I have torqued my lowers down to 59ft pounds and still have the clicking. Should I go tighter ? Or do I have another issue ?

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
My clicking is coming from my rear differential. It’s the spider gears in the LSD. Jack up the car. Spin one rear tire and I could hear it

Fourthandlong5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase