Cleaning Leather Seats

scottw

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
What is everyone using to clean the (black) leather seats?

I bought meguiars rich leather cleaner wipes for spot cleaning (kids and birds ;)), but they left the areas I used them very shinny/greasy looking.

I guess I could just do all the other areas, but I am concerned about using them long term.

Any other suggestions? It isn’t the softest leather, but not sure long term about using something like armorall on them either.

Thanks
Sponsored

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Chemical Guys all the way!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The hint in that thread about applying with your gloved hand is a real $ saver! The product applies real nice with the gloved hand versus an applicator and you use way less product.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I spent a lifetime of buying expensive leather cleaners until I finally learned just to use a damp cloth. The owner’s manual for my Grand Cherokee Overland Summit suggested using a damp cloth to take care of the nappa leather. After 110k miles, the leather still looks like new.
Modern automotive leather is coated in plastic, so you’re not actually cleaning or conditioning the leather itself. You do however want to remove any grit on the seats as that’s what will cause damage.

Sponsored

taysdad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe (ordered), 2017 GX460
I used to use the Chemcal Guys leather cleaner. It was okay but only slightly better than other products i had tried previously.

However, I am a big fan of the Gyeon leather care system for new vehicles (have not used it on older vehicles that already have a lot of wear or dirty leather).

There is a coating (Gyeon Leather Coat) you out on every few months to help protect the leather before it gets dirty (think of this as Scotchgard for leather). Then, you clean it with their leather cleaner (Gyeon Leather Cleaner) regularly. I have two Lexus SUVs with a near white leather interior and I swear by this over all other products/systems for leather.

I should confess that I am somewhat of a cleaning fanatic so if you are looking for just a good leather cleaner, there are many great options. However, if you’re a bit over the top and want to keep you interior leather showroom new for years you too may see the advantages of the Gyeon system.

BTW - I am in no way associated with Gyeon, but I do formulate cleaning products for a living (although nothing in the car care world) so I may be a bit overly sensitive. I tend to see differences in products and results and things that my friends and family either don’t see or are simply not important to them (full disclosure).

Michael

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I have the Tan seats in my JLUR AND White sets in my Tesla
I use Dawn dishwashing detergent works great lint free cloth wet add a good amount of non bleach Dawn foam up the seat use another damp towel and remove then condition sets will last forever.
Down is good for skin leather is skin.

IMG_0328.JPG

20171125_152910.jpg

Sponsored

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
CarPro products are also great! I have ceramic coated every exterior piece of the Jeep I can with them, and it has saved time cleaning and protected the paint/plastics. I’ve seen tons of videos praising C.Quartz for leather interior, so that’s next on the list. I’d recommend you check it out. (Not affiliated)

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Chemical Guys all the way!
This

I use their leather conditioner and massage it in with a nitrile glove and wipe dry with a microfiber rag, works great, feels great and smells great.

I it's not greasey either. These are the videos I've posted on my IG.
Sponsored

Attachments