Cleaning leather interior

1. RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
    Liked:
    Are there any products you would recommend for cleaning leather seats? I’ve seen Armor-All wipes, but I’ve heard those things dry out whatever they’re cleaning (vinyl, rubber, leather).

Reason: after a week on the beach with my wife and 2 year old son, I’ve come to realize I should have spent $30 on a set of Walmart seat covers. Instead, I bitched and complained and blew it off. Duly noted for next time. We’ve been here since Sunday, and so far, they’ve managed to get sunscreen, deodorant, sand, ocean water (maybe just the salt) and fruit juice spatter on my seats. Normally, I’d be super pissed but this was on me, as this was my oversight. My Rubi is getting a
    Full clean when we get home.

So, what’s the easiest way to clean leather interior without damaging it? Not looking for show and shine, just simple and effective. Thanks in advance!

2. Shenanigans

Shenanigans Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle(s):
    JLU Rubi
    Liked:
    #2 Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Griots makes a nice interior cleaner that is safe for leather. Leaves no signs of film or grease behind. I can’t stand a slimy or slick surface. Only thing inside that I dont use it ok is the gauge cluster and screen.

Lou Bunn likes this.
  3. FirecrackerRedJLU

FirecrackerRedJLU Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU
    Liked:
    Adams has some really good stuff actually! Paid for a mystery box recently and it had cleaner and conditioner and a pad , and I was actually very very surprised at the outcome! Very great stuff and it smells good too! And it doesn’t leave you slipping all around in your seats either.

4. melendez69

melendez69 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 911 / 2013 M3 coupe / 2018 JL Rubi (2-dr manual)
    Liked:
    Beer drinker
    I understand you're asking about a way to clean & not a 'what to use,' but maybe some ideas here.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...oner-cleaner-are-you-using.18829/#post-460765

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eather-seats-for-cleaning-conditioning.21472/

5. Dalingrin

Dalingrin Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I tend to stick with 303 products lately. Keep in mind the finished leather/vinyl in the Jeep doesn't require the same care as "real" leather. A lot of the products people will suggest aren't meant for finished leather that's in the Jeep. It won't hurt it, it just isn't necessary or even beneficial.

This is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/303-Leather-...erospace+303&qid=1564777504&s=gateway&sr=8-11

303 leaves the surface feeling slicker but not greasy. Tends to act sort of like a wax in that it is easier to clean if you keep up a coat of 303. TBH, the nice thing about finished leather is that it isn't picky about what you use to clean it.

OldGuyNewJeep and RubiSc0tt like this.
  6. Rploaded

Rploaded Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:

I also use 303 on finished leather, this is what you should use.

Real leather find a high quality human hand lotion and go to town.

RubiSc0tt likes this.
  7. Andrew05LJR

Andrew05LJR Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    Griots interior or leather cleaner is great stuff or sonax leather/alcantara cleaner. I use both. All my interior is coated with Cquartz leather coating so it’s real easy to clean

8. Kidder212

Kidder212 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
    Liked:
    I use saddle soap to clean and Lexol for the conditioning. Vacuum and use an old tooth brush to remove sand from the seams.

9. MKC JL

MKC JL Active Member

First Name:
    mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JL ,2019 Cherokee Limited
    Liked:
    Zaino Leather in a bottle. Only thing I used on my Porsche. I use it on my wife's Cherokee as well. Wipe it on & let it dry..no buffing and it leaves a nice leather smell!

10. COJLGirl

COJLGirl Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Liked:
    I use CarPro Inside and a Colourblock leather/ textile brush if I need to agitate a soiled area.

11. Lou Bunn

Lou Bunn Well-Known Member

First Name:
    James
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
    Liked:
    I use to get crucified on detailing forums by the "experts" for this, but - it worked. Get a clean - let's say new, spray bottle, 20 oz distilled water, 1 oz of Woolite. Mix well and use. It cleans great and remember, most vehicle leather is coated anyway with a clear coat like your paint.

12. smithrd65

smithrd65 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
    Liked:
    Every Vehicle I own has light colored seats Tan in the Jeep,BMW,Chevy 2500 light grey and Tesla White.
    I use Dawn Dishwashing soap (Non BLEACH) I use a lent free cloth add a fair amount of Dawn add water lather up my seats and use another damp cloth to remove soap and then I condition I have used this method on my vehicles for years and they all look great. Dawn is good for your hands. But I always condition ofterwards. I can do the complete vehicle in 10m.

1 year old seats daily driver JLURIMG_0328.JPG

DSC_0258.JPG