Choose my wheels for me

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Hello all, i am so indecisive ive been back and forth on wheels and tire set ups for the entire time ive owned my jeep. I am a first time owner and have no experience with whats good, whats not. I have a JLU sport I’m going to run a 2” dynatrac lift, and am thinking I want 35s. Wheel and tire combos that you wish you chose, or have currently would be great to see. I just need some influence
Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I would run this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Choose my wheels for me 1631584391647

With the Nitto trail grappler 35s in 12.5 width, not the skinny ones..

Jeep Wrangler JL Choose my wheels for me 1631584629781

because yolo! :fist bump:

Good luck on whatever you end up choosing! ;)

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I appreciate the beautiful photos. I think i will pick both LOL but honestly, maybe my issue is i keep seeing awesome set ups and then cant make up my mind. Nothing seems to remedy this situation. The only thing that helps is that if i dont spend much i wont cry the first time i get scratches.

andrew4fins

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just did the tire wheel thing. JLUR in shop as I type this getting her lift n new shoes. I went with Matte Grey Black Rhino Warlords n Nitto RG’s in 35 12.50. Wasn’t cheap. Can you give us a budget…so many options out there. You on a beer or a single barrel malt budget? All good either way but will help folks give you the advice you need. Cheers.

Sponsored

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
A better question might be what wheels can I get?! Every wheel I like it seems is back ordered stuck in customs since 6-24. That includes the 37 MT Baja Boss A/T. It's rough out there.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Just did the tire wheel thing. JLUR in shop as I type this getting her lift n new shoes. I went with Matte Grey Black Rhino Warlords n Nitto RG’s in 35 12.50. Wasn’t cheap. Can you give us a budget…so many options out there. You on a beer or a single barrel malt budget? All good either way but will help folks give you the advice you need. Cheers.
🤣 I like to drink nice scotch and buy shit wheels

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
A better question might be what wheels can I get?! Every wheel I like it seems is back ordered stuck in customs since 6-24. That includes the 37 MT Baja Boss A/T. It's rough out there.
LOL i was just talking to a buddy who ordered black rhino wheels and was told each week it would be one more week, i think he ended up cancelling after 11 weeks of waiting.

Budget: well 2500 bucks is nice. I still need front upper and lower control arms so I’m trying to help myself there. I have owned my jeep new, with 120 miles on it and have over 32k. the cost of the tire is more of my concern, i dont mind buying nice wheels as i will never buy them again LOLLL but tires just hurt man, they just hurt so bad. So yeah 2500 buck a sweet number, of course thats seeming more like a fantasy. 3000k after tax is maybe better. i think thats generous on both numbers.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
For all of you who spent all their drinking money this year on car parts i just got free mikes hard lemonade seltzer LOL, let me see if i can post how i did it here.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

LOL i was just talking to a buddy who ordered black rhino wheels and was told each week it would be one more week, i think he ended up cancelling after 11 weeks of waiting.

Budget: well 2500 bucks is nice. I still need front upper and lower control arms so I’m trying to help myself there. I have owned my jeep new, with 120 miles on it and have over 32k. the cost of the tire is more of my concern, i dont mind buying nice wheels as i will never buy them again LOLLL but tires just hurt man, they just hurt so bad. So yeah 2500 buck a sweet number, of course thats seeming more like a fantasy. 3000k after tax is maybe better. i think thats generous on both numbers.
I was under $2k for my setup with 35s, out the door. That was 2 years ago but I bet you could get there. I was also on the 2” dynatrac lift, you’re gonna love that thing

Sponsored

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
For tires:

If you plan on doing a lot of road tripping or lengthy commutes, you really can't go wrong with the 315/70/17 c rated BFG all terrain. It's a super lightweight tire for it's size, that measures in really close to a BFG 35x12.5 in actuality. I put a lot of road and trail miles on a set of these and was really pleased.

If you want to go a bit more aggressive, I hear great things about anything from Nitto.

For wheels:

I went with the method 701's and couldn't be happier. I've been really impressed with the bead grip performance at lower pressures.

But for wheels, aesthetics is a big factor. Look around at some of the build journals here on the forum and you'll find something that clicks.

also- based on the fender info you were kind enough to share yesterday- it looks like any wheel with a zero offset will work great with 35's, rubicon flares, and sport/sahara width axels.

Good luck and be sure to post once you've made a choice!

BFG AT's on Stock wheels w/ spacers

Jeep Wrangler JL Choose my wheels for me IMG_0399

MT's on Method 701's

Jeep Wrangler JL Choose my wheels for me IMG_4578.JPG

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I’m loving my Ballistic Rage wheels…

Jeep Wrangler JL Choose my wheels for me 2A383FEF-8488-41E9-A6BE-AAD3DFA42C87

Jeep Wrangler JL Choose my wheels for me 1A15753B-11A5-49FE-8563-CA0CB343DC93

Only problem is the bore diameter is much larger than the hub on these wheels, so had to get aluminum hub rings to return them to “hub-centric” wheels. Definitely want to check the bore vs hub size on your new wheels. Custom sized aluminum hub rings from US Wheel Adapers are the way to go if you can’t find pre-made rings or Jeep hub specific wheels.

Maybe you should print a picture of each wheel you’re considering and the ones listed in this thread and choose from a hat. 😉

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler

Discount Tire has me at 2700 for 5 Fuel Rebel 5's or Icon Vector 5's and the M/T' in 37's. That's well worth it to me. However with this shit storm in Customs wonder if prices will go up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Choose my wheels for me Screenshot_20210913-214255_Google
Jeep Wrangler JL Choose my wheels for me Screenshot_20210720-113637_Google

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Wheel style is subjective. What is important, when choosing new wheels, are the wheel specs such as:

Lug hole diameter (generally not an issue)
Hub center diameter (Wrangler has "hub centric" wheels)
Wheel diameter (is always nice when the tire diameter matches the wheel diameter, and the wheel clears the calipers)
Wheel width
Wheel weight
Wheel offset
Cast vs. forged
etc.

For me, there were so many choices and options, I gave up and stuck with the OEM Rubicon wheels which work for me.
Sponsored