Check engine light

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Batteries are not always the reason why we get gremlins! I have the ess and auto stop/ start happening on daily basis...happened when at dealers, they hooked up and said it was vacuum pump...that was 7 weeks ago after they said they would call me when it came in! Still waiting! to the OP there are a few problem areas concerning electrical connections that could effect your JL ..one is a green block behind your glove box(if you remove it there is a box below the cabin air filter that some have described they were having issues and once they jiggled the wires in it.... the lights went out? Apparently the wires are sometimes not completely seated into the green block. touching each one and guiding them into block will help seat them correctly. Also some have changed out the green box and that did the trick?
Two...there is a main harness that runs along the bottom of the jeep and it's location is let's say Not ideal, because it runs along the exhaust manifold where it rubs and causes breaks in the shielding exposing wires that also can short or cause issues within, like check engine etc...give those two spots a good look . Electrical issue are hard to diagnose, specially since they sometimes do not throw codes like my issue. Unless you are hooked up while it's happening. The minute you turn the engine off it goes away! There is also the clock spring in the steering wheel but way to complicated to remove and (air bag)dangerous, but some connections in there can also wreak havoc. Sorry for your frustration and yes it is maddening.
Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Batteries are not always the reason why we get gremlins! I have the ess and auto stop/ start happening on daily basis...happened when at dealers, they hooked up and said it was vacuum pump......
Haha yup! True...my ESS kept coming on daily and it would go away after I would turn the jeep off and back on again. Eventually found out that the ESS was coming on because I had warped cylinders & blown head gaskets lol...had no other error codes except the ESS. I didn't bring this up initially because none of the error codes he had or symptoms he had mirrored mine, with this particular situation.

But you are 100%...batteries aren't the only issues. ESS seems to be triggered by almost anything wrong with the jeep. I call it the "new engine light".

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Batteries are not always the reason why we get gremlins! I have the ess and auto stop/ start happening on daily basis...happened when at dealers, they hooked up and said it was vacuum pump...that was 7 weeks ago after they said they would call me when it came in! Still waiting! to the OP there are a few problem areas concerning electrical connections that could effect your JL ..one is a green block behind your glove box(if you remove it there is a box below the cabin air filter that some have described they were having issues and once they jiggled the wires in it.... the lights went out? Apparently the wires are sometimes not completely seated into the green block. touching each one and guiding them into block will help seat them correctly. Also some have changed out the green box and that did the trick?
Two...there is a main harness that runs along the bottom of the jeep and it's location is let's say Not ideal, because it runs along the exhaust manifold where it rubs and causes breaks in the shielding exposing wires that also can short or cause issues within, like check engine etc...give those two spots a good look . Electrical issue are hard to diagnose, specially since they sometimes do not throw codes like my issue. Unless you are hooked up while it's happening. The minute you turn the engine off it goes away! There is also the clock spring in the steering wheel but way to complicated to remove and (air bag)dangerous, but some connections in there can also wreak havoc. Sorry for your frustration and yes it is maddening.
There is also a harness that has shown to chafe that was run across the sway bar on some Jeeps, causing multiple problems.

OP
OP
Ripsaw502

Ripsaw502

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON 4X4
Occupation
Dump truck Driver
This. @Ripsaw502 Do you also get the ESS light (auto start/stop)? The Aux battery (if installed) can cause a lot of probs if it is faulty/or needs to be replaced. It is responsible for ESS with directly affects the cranking of your jeep. It can also a drain on the main battery as others have posted in other threads. Also, there is a known issue with fuses not being seated correctly. This can be some issue as well.

From the sounds of it, if all of these things are happening at once, I'm inclined to agree with Scott...I think you have a battery issue.

The next time you take it to the dealership (if you are within factory or EW) have them check your batteries. They should've done this the first time when they cleared your codes...
Both batteries were changed last year at the same time

OP
OP
Ripsaw502

Ripsaw502

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER UNLIMITED RUBICON 4X4
Occupation
Dump truck Driver
If you would have posted the codes these folks could maybe help you. Personally I don't know I am in IT but I need those error messages to fix your tech problems. Mechanics are no different they need to know the history and errors to fix the problem or at least give you advice.

No ridiculing give them the codes and information on what it is doing. Does it misfire? Does it not start? What is the problem?
That is what comes up on the dash all those lights I have a video of it but not text savie enough to upload it Said the file was too large

Traci

First Name
Traci
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
I am having an issue with a repeat check engine code of P105D. I took it in and they (not dealership) replaced solenoid #2, check engine light came back on after 30-40 miles. My personal device is telling me again P105D.
A few months back I was having battery issues. Replaced the main battery and disconnected the aux battery.
Do any of you think this is a prob?
Does anyone have this same code issue??
Only has 34,000 miles and I am in a state that it has to pass emissions so a check engine is a auto fail. So I am 3 months past due.
Sponsored