Changing my order

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
My understanding is that the FCA order system locks the ability for dealerships to make changes to a booked order once your vehicle reaches D status and a VIN is assigned. The new car manager at my dealership showed me my D status 2dr Rubicon order on screen when I asked to make changes and all of the data entry fields were grayed out. He explained this was why he could not make my requested change.

But, here’s the good news. I PM’d Jeep Cares on this forum asking if there is any way FCA could make a change to a booked order, and the answer is yes. The new car manager can contact his FCA rep who has the authority to modify the order as long as you are not in D1 status. This was news to my manager, but he agreed to try it and it worked.

I’ve now been back twice with changes as I’ve sat at D for the past 75 days. The first was six weeks ago to change the color from Billet Silver to Bright White and add leather seats and LED lights. Then, three weeks ago, I added proximity keyless entry. In both cases, I received an updated Priced Order Confirmation printout two days later that shows my new configuration and that my order date, VON and VIN remains unchanged.

To me, it’s obvious that the 2dr production delays are part of an FCA conspiracy to keep me adding to my order and that they are holding me at D status until I have booked every possible option.
Jeep is clearly making you wait because they just want you to keep adding expensive goodies. Another 75 days in D and you'll have a Grand Wagoneer...
Sponsored

Sweetwater

VINs are assigned before a Jeep is scheduled to build. The Jeeps are scheduled based on priority and availability of parts and are actually built based on real-time data on inventory and process control.

My Jeep has a VIN. It is a Sting-Gray with a premium soft top. It is in D status and is not being built any time soon.

Maybe 3 days later a dealer enters an order for a firecracker red JLU with a black hard top.

2 days after that another customer does a Sold Order for a similar red Jeep.

They all have VINs in chronological order.

Probably, the customer's red Jeep will be built first and my Sting-Gray will be built last.

They are not built in VIN order.

If they are built per sold order received. Isn't that in VIN order?

32 minutes ago
Just got off the phone with my dealer. He is being told 2 door production is to start the first week of April. Also told him sold orders are to be first in order of sale. Ordered ours middle of January, hoping to have it by the end of May!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If they are built per sold order received. Isn't that in VIN order?

32 minutes ago
Just got off the phone with my dealer. He is being told 2 door production is to start the first week of April. Also told him sold orders are to be first in order of sale. Ordered ours middle of January, hoping to have it by the end of May!
Wrong again. They are not built in sold order!

A 2 door ordered in December has a low vin. Was it built before later 4-door orders?

L

Sweetwater

Wrong again. They are not built in sold order!

A 2 door ordered in December has a low vin. Was it built before later 4-door orders?

L
Is that really a question from a smart person. This is no brainer.
Come onnnnnn. Since 4dr. are the only ones in production no 2dr. can pass it.
You just won't let go of your "theory" that they do not follow VIN production.
Hey all you Jeep buyers your March order is ready to pick up before my January order!!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Is that really a question from a smart person. This is no brainer.
Come onnnnnn. Since 4dr. are the only ones in production no 2dr. can pass it.
You just won't let go of your "theory" that they do not follow VIN production.
Hey all you Jeep buyers your March order is ready to pick up before my January order!!
Now you are just trolling.

Sponsored

Sweetwater

No I'm not. I really want to know. You do not show concrete evidence as to this. I really do not want
someone who has ordered in March to receive their Jeep before someone who has ordered in Dec.
That is not fair or should it be even possible. Do you really believe this can happen? I will do some research
on this to clarify this for all of us.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
No I'm not. I really want to know. You do not show concrete evidence as to this. I really do not want
someone who has ordered in March to receive their Jeep before someone who has ordered in Dec.
That is not fair or should it be even possible. Do you really believe this can happen? I will do some research
Example: there are many who have ordered a 2 door, been issued a VIN and gone to D status. Not one 2 door has been built, yet all 2 door orders have VINs assigned.
Many who ordered simple config. 4 doors in early February have had their rigs built and delivered. Their VINs were assigned a month after the 2 door orders, but built much, much sooner.

There are many factors holding back orders being built, such as parts shortages, which can push an earlier order to the back of the line, even though it has an earlier VIN. In a perfect world, order, vin, build would be the sequence. Jeep has not created a perfect world in their manufacture/distribution system.

There will definitely be March orders (such as simple 4 doors) that will be built and delivered before January orders (say, a 4 door with painted dual top group). Check some of the other threads and you will see people who have waited 2-3 months in D status, and people who have gotten delivery in 5 weeks, even though the latter ordered and were assigned VINs well after the former. And those are all 4 doors. Apples to apples.

Here's a good thread with many examples: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...strated-with-the-order-i-placed-on-1-11.5905/

Plus, with over 1400 posts/likes, you might want to give ThirtyOne a little credit. He's read just about every thread on here.

Last edited:

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
This is my fourth factory order, although my first with FCA, and I have first hand experience that builds are not scheduled to match order dates. Many had builds before mine even though they ordered after me because we compared notes on forums similar to this.

In 2007, I had the opposite happen. I factory ordered a 2008 Corvette two months after the order books were opened. However, my car came off the assembly line the very first day of production. The reason was that the Canadian dollar, for the first time in decades, was higher in value than the USD and GM made thousands more on a Canadian sale. Therefore, I was bumped to the first day.

There is some truth to your position in that car manufacturers will try to prioritize your order by how long it's been on the books. However, if your order is being considered for scheduling, but there are supplier delays for your specific build, you get pushed back until the parts become available. I've seen that happen over and over again.

Sweetwater

Ok Ok Ok already. I thought we were just talking 2Dr. Yes many 4Dr are out and on the road and the have VIN # way past mine.
Sorry for the confusion ThirtyOne . Jeep could help all of us with some truthful statements. I DO want a few more options
I should have ordered. Should I cancel and reorder? Will it put me into a delivery time of Aug. now? I can live with what I
have on order. I guess this wait is getting to us.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
First of all I apologize for saying you were trolling. I thought you were messing with me. Hard to tell intent sometimes in a forum.

I will say this - If 2 people ordered exactly the same Jeep the one ordered first should be built first. The thing is no 2 jeeps are exactly alike. Like @misanthrope said there are all kinds of little things that can cause a Jeep ordered later to be built earlier and there are tons of examples on the forum of that happening.

They just don't optimize to sale order, they optimize to the supply chain.

Good luck with your Jeep! When it does come in I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Ok Ok Ok already. I thought we were just talking 2Dr. Yes many 4Dr are out and on the road and the have VIN # way past mine.
Sorry for the confusion ThirtyOne . Jeep could help all of us with some truthful statements. I DO want a few more options
I should have ordered. Should I cancel and reorder? Will it put me into a delivery time of Aug. now? I can live with what I
See, that's the crazy thing. You'd think if you reorder now to get the exact 2 door you want, you'll be behind all prior orders. But the way things have gone so far it will totally depends on your configuration and the availability of parts/options. You are probably right, that, all things being equal, an order assigned VIN prior to yours would be built prior to yours. But there are just too many variables to say that VIN order=build order.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I posted previously into this thread, as long as you are not in D1, you can change your order without having to cancel. Your order date, VIN and VON will be unaffected.

There is a risk that this can affect when it gets built, but it can go either way. If you make a change from an option that has supplier issues to one that doesn't - you win and your build could be accelerated. However, if you add an option that has supplier issues, where your previous configuration had none - you lose and your build could be pushed back farther in time.

Sweetwater

First of all I apologize for saying you were trolling. I thought you were messing with me. Hard to tell intent sometimes in a forum.

I will say this - If 2 people ordered exactly the same Jeep the one ordered first should be built first. The thing is no 2 jeeps are exactly alike. Like @misanthrope said there are all kinds of little things that can cause a Jeep ordered later to be built earlier and there are tons of examples on the forum of that happening.

They just don't optimize to sale order, they optimize to the supply chain.

Good luck with your Jeep! When it does come in I am sure it will be worth the wait.
Thank you and please enjoy your Jeep as well. I should know better not to listen to others . You have really explained this
to me in a way to understand it much better. Thanks. My first factory order ever at 66. Keep in touch and I will also.

Sweetwater

Like I posted previously into this thread, as long as you are not in D1, you can change your order without having to cancel. Your order date, VIN and VON will be unaffected.

There is a risk that this can affect when it gets built, but it can go either way. If you make a change from an option that has supplier issues to one that doesn't - you win and your build could be accelerated. However, if you add an option that has supplier issues, where your previous configuration had none - you lose and your build could be pushed back farther in time.
Yes this is all confusing. I did contact my dealer yesterday to add the 3 options. I haven't heard back yet.
Everyone says this can not be done after VIN. I don't care I want to try anyways. I will like the Rubicon
as ordered or more options. Thanks to all for info.

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes this is all confusing. I did contact my dealer yesterday to add the 3 options. I haven't heard back yet.
Everyone says this can not be done after VIN. I don't care I want to try anyways.

The order absolutely can be changed after the VIN is assigned since I've done it twice now and have the paperwork from FCA to prove that my VIN, VON and order date have not changed. I posted the details on how this is done here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/changing-my-order.5924/page-2#post-125631

In short, if your dealer says they can't do it, tell them to contact their FCA rep because those reps most definitely can.

It's getting close enough to production that they may come back and say it can't be done because you have moved to D1. If that happens, I'd celebrate that you could be getting an early build since you say you could live with your original order regardless.
Sponsored