cell phone boosters

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
as the title says, cell phone boosters....who has used them and what would you say about them? i am not looking to have cell phone 100% of the time! i actually enjoy a break from it. just curious if anyone has any first hand knowledge about them. there are a few claims out there that say they improve cell use area by 36%.
just kind of wondering, not anxious to go get one, just gathering info
Sponsored

Foster_WV

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ & JLU
I purchased one earlier in the year for our expo type trailer, Wilson WeBoost. It can handle 4 phones at a time. It boosted 0-1 bars to 2-3 we could make and receive calls but it was on an extended signal strength so no data, no texts, email or hot spot.

For daily use in my truck where thereā€™s 1-2 bars or poor signal it boosts to LTE most of the time.

At $400 it lets me get in the mountains a day early and not use a vacation day so Iā€™m happy with it. But remember itā€™s not a miracle product.

Hope that helps

Bluebear

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Remember those "Cell Phone Booster" metallic stickers from the late 90's early 2000s you were supposed to stick on you battery to improve your signal?

Unbelievably, they still make them!

th.jpg

Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
I have multiple Weboost cell boosters. I bought mine before the name change. They were Wilson. Always best to use actual signal strength DB levels. 5 or 6 yrs ago AT&T Iphones were absolutely lying on how many bars of service were available. Google your phone to see how to check actual DB signal strength level. I have a couple of Weboost (Wilson) Sleek boosters. These are the cheapest and easiest to setup. I have two of the bigger boosters that can handle multiple devices at one time. I have service well ahead of anyone else in the group. I lose service last. As mentioned they are not magic. There must be some small bit of service to boost. Verizon phones max power output is .25watt. The Sleek is 1.8watt. The big booster is 3watt, might be 3.3watt? It's a massive increase in power.

The Sleek is the cheapest. Phone or mifi is required to be in the cradle. Do not use the cradle next to your head. Use bluetooth or earbuds to make your call.

The bigger multi device is a bit more complicated. The in vehicle antenna must be within 5feet of the device. However, distance is everything. The closer your phone is to the interior antenna the better it works. I typically place the in vehicle booster antenna next to the phone cradles. Mine is advertised at 50dB signal, Max I've seen about 40db. Both devices see the seem level of boost. The external antenna must be a few feet from the internal antenna. On my vehicles I use the middle of the hood for the external antenna.

Weboost does sell "Upgrade" external antennas. The typically included 4" rubber antenna is mostly neutral. The upgraded antennas will sacrifice something. Increase in 4g signal could hurt 3g. Upgrade in your local 4g could hurt 4g Roaming. Your cell provider might use different frequencies depending on where you travel. Meaning your home 4g is not the same as vacation 4g signal. This is highly variable. I stay with the rubber 4" external antenna. I have streamed music on the trail when no one else had any service.

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JLU
I used most of the advice from this guy... actually mount the antenna in the same place with a CB antenna mounting bracket.

https://www.thelonejeeper.ca/Phone-Booster-Off-Road-4x4-Expedition-Remote-Wilderness-Jeep-JK.html

I purchased the same booster to help my signal as I travel but usually i leave the booster off when at home. Hope that in an emergency situation any help to get signal would be worth it.
dude, you saved me! I couldn't find for the life of me WTH he had it mounted to, now I know what to look for! Thanks man!
Sponsored