CB Antenna Mount Needed!

usmcss

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 Rubicon JL
I get a great ground through these bolts with the one I made, so this should be the same.
Oh man that’s awesome to hear! Thanks PapasJP!
Sponsored

Last edited:

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I will most likely be a customer. I am the odd one here, I am waiting until my Jeep actually arrives before ordering parts. One question, does the kit include a Spring? If no, that is fine, maybe suggest the one to get here. I am not sure it needs it, gotta check out heights, etc when I get my hands on my Jeep.

Thanks!

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
Nice mount and kit, but man, that's a little bit expensive! I'm still exploring my own solution using the two accessory bolts on the driver's side of the cowling. If it works well, my brother and I might make them and sell them. We shall see!
You realize that price includes a FireWire cable and fire stick antenna too, right? I didn’t price those two items out but I’m guessing by the time you ordered them it makes the price very reasonable. Maybe I’m wrong.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
You realize that price includes a FireWire cable and fire stick antenna too, right? I didn’t price those two items out but I’m guessing by the time you ordered them it makes the price very reasonable. Maybe I’m wrong.
Yeah, that helps, and if the grounding and everything as a package is validated, that makes it better. If not, though, I can piece the antenna and cable together for around 40, so the metal mount and bolts are pushing 40 to 50 bucks. JK mounts around the spare tire typically go for 25 to 30. It certainly isn't a gouge. I haven't ruled it out. I am exploring my own mount idea. If it flops, I may bite the bullet on this one, again, if it turns out to tune and perform well.

txbonds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JL
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that helps, and if the grounding and everything as a package is validated, that makes it better. If not, though, I can piece the antenna and cable together for around 40, so the metal mount and bolts are pushing 40 to 50 bucks. JK mounts around the spare tire typically go for 25 to 30. It certainly isn't a gouge. I haven't ruled it out. I am exploring my own mount idea. If it flops, I may bite the bullet on this one, again, if it turns out to tune and perform well.
Understood. I have no horse in the race as I don’t have one or an alternative plan. Just pointing out it wasn’t pure bracket cost.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Understood. I have no horse in the race as I don’t have one or an alternative plan. Just pointing out it wasn’t pure bracket cost.
Yep, and you were right to do so because my reaction was a bit knee-jerk. Thanks!

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I don't think your reaction was knee-jerk.... questions about price are OK. There's only a couple of brackets for the previous JK model that are constructed from stainless steel and those are in the ~$45 range for just the bracket. Honestly, one of the biggest pains (and cost) was in the spacers we had to have custom made. In both the OEM hinge as well as the optional Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement Kit, the bolts are recessed. As such, we need to have a very specific OD as well as a specific ID for the spacers. We simply couldn't find anything off of the shelf and so we had to have them made. Additionally, our cost on the stainless bolts is ~$1 each. If we used normal steel for the bracket, close but not right steel spacers, and steel attaching bolts, I suppose our costs could be a whole lot cheaper!

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Will anything have to be done to ground this mount for the antenna or are the bolt and bolt holes good enough? Thank you!
As PaPasJP already commented, we get a very good ground through the attachment points. It is the principal reason we do not paint or powdercoat the bracket - and instead made it from stainless steel.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
I went to the site. What shipping options are available as it only states a shipping price?
Also interested in the mic mount. Do you have some good pics and how does it mount?

bjlamour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 1974 CJ5
What's everyone doing to mount the CB itself? Not gonna be super willing to drill holes in my brand new Rubi should she ever get here. . .

Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I went to the site. What shipping options are available as it only states a shipping price?
Also interested in the mic mount. Do you have some good pics and how does it mount?
Thanks again for the questions. We have been selling Wrangler Antenna Kits since early 2007. Our flagship JK solution - and one of our absolute best selling products for the JK is the "UltraMount" which is completely contained within the license plate housing and looked OEM. Anyway, suffice to say we have shipped a couple of thousand CB antennas and have some experience with different carriers. Our JL Antenna Kit will ship in a box that is approximately 2" x 3" x 48" (or 36" if you select the 3' antenna option). We had some poor experiences with USPS and our 4' boxes and we now ship these almost exclusively through FedEx. For the 3' boxes we are mostly shipping through USPS.

For our JL Mic Mount, you will need to use a small pry tool to pop the HVAC panel forward and then loosen the left side grab handle bolt. Our Mic Mount can then be slipped into place. (The HVAC panel is relatively easy to pop forward, but the trim piece covering the right side grab handle bolt acts like it wants to break before releasing. We modified our Mic Mount design so that you don't even have to mess with the right side trim piece or bolt.)

IMG_5723.jpg

IMG_5725.jpg

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think your reaction was knee-jerk.... questions about price are OK. There's only a couple of brackets for the previous JK model that are constructed from stainless steel and those are in the ~$45 range for just the bracket. Honestly, one of the biggest pains (and cost) was in the spacers we had to have custom made. In both the OEM hinge as well as the optional Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement Kit, the bolts are recessed. As such, we need to have a very specific OD as well as a specific ID for the spacers. We simply couldn't find anything off of the shelf and so we had to have them made. Additionally, our cost on the stainless bolts is ~$1 each. If we used normal steel for the bracket, close but not right steel spacers, and steel attaching bolts, I suppose our costs could be a whole lot cheaper!
Thanks! That makes perfect sense. I'm playing with my idea for the cowl mount, but if it doesn't work, I'm likely to go with yours. I appreciate the detailed explanation!

Btw, your Ultra Mount is on my JK!

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, well, I gave it some thought and went ahead and ordered the antenna mount. I'll still press on with my idea, but only for my Midland GMRS radio antenna, which I'll only use for off-road trips. The CB antenna will stay permanently mounted, since I like to have it on the highway.

As far as someone having an antenna in the middle of the hood on the JL, they'd have to do something other than a magnetic mount. That sucker is aluminum! Good luck with that, and besides, I don't like having it right in my line of sight.

Thanks, @CoolTech for getting this to the market quickly! I'm going ahead and mounting my CB this weekend. I'll be tuning it to get the full 4 watts, too.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I like the bracket, but what about us JK guys that already have all the parts except the bracket? I have my antenna wire, antenna (tuned) and radio I'll be removing from my JK, so what happens for those of us that don't need the whole kit? My tuning may change a little with the new Jeep, but at least if I move everything over I know my tuning will probably be in the ballpark when I install it.

Can we get just the bracket and the mount bolts?
Sponsored