Can't decide ... Sahara or Rubicon??

Windycityjeep

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I was in the same boat. I wavered for weeks. I will never rock climb and will just do some mild trails at best. I test drove both, kept going back and forth. Really couldn't tell the difference in the ride but went with the Sahara because the Rubi had a bunch of stuff that I will never use. Will tell you this, I test drove one in a rainstorm and when I opened the door to get out, me and the inside of that Sahara were drenched. (first Wrangler ever). Can't believe Jeep engineers haven't figured that out over the years. BTW its Great and I made a wonderful choice. Good Luck.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I am planning on getting the LSD option but not Selec-trac. I have driven a pathfinder for 10 years that was rear wheel drive and never had issues. Seems like one more thing to break. Any reason I should reconsider?
There really isn't any reason to get a Sahara over Rubicon if you dont get the Selec-trac transfer case. I don't see why it is even optional. That transfer case is the reason that there isn't a 2 door Sahara.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
So basically you just answers the question on why you bought yours, but nothing to do with his question, lol. He doesn't plan to off-road. Dirt roads are still roads, lol.

"I learned my lesson the hard way. Do it “right” the first time and don’t pay for features you will never use and instead pay for options that will mean something for your lifestyle." Rubicon's are built for SERIOUS off-roaders. Yes the hood looks nice and the stickers on the side of that hood, but I have the rubi take off wheels, suspension, rock rails and LED package and paid considerably less with a loaded Sport S. I don't need the low gears, and upgraded axles so I, like you say didn't need to pay for something I am not going to use.

I have a neighbor who has a new rubicon and mine has more than his. He actually asked me if mine was a rubicon that i toook the hood sticker off of, lol. He has roll up windows and regular halogens. But he bought it for off-road and actually goes seriously off-roading.

@Woodynj , go with your gut and get what YOU want. The first mistake is getting what someone else thinks you should have, which is probably the same reason why they got theirs.
I dont think you can get roll up windows in a new Rubicon.

OP
OP
Woodynj

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
There really isn't any reason to get a Sahara over Rubicon if you dont get the Selec-trac transfer case. I don't see why it is even optional. That transfer case is the reason that there isn't a 2 door Sahara.
Not sure I understand. There is a lot of things different between the the two besides selectrac.

Thrive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango R/T, 2007 Mercedes R63 AMG
Not sure I understand. There is a lot of things different between the the two besides selectrac.
No that’s correct. The price is so close that unless you want selec trac you are getting more bang for the buck with the Rubicon. For me and had a Rubicon and it was badass but this time around the selec trac in Sahara and proximity key along with better interior and gas mileage the Sahara is best for me. If they didn’t offer selec trac I would have purchased another Rubicon.

Sponsored

gsuburban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
So I am about to order a JL, but can not decide on Rubicon or Sahara. Love the look of both, except not sure i am sold on the red interior of rubicon (if you have pics please share)

• I will be off road a little, but dont have plans to do any serious crawling or mudding. More like rough fire/dirt roads and trails and general snow driving in the North East.
  • I will be towing a boat fairly often (about 3200 lbs total)
  • I do plan to put larger tires/wheels on either, but no lift (so 33 on Sahara maybe 35 on Rubicon)

What should i be thinking about? All thoughts welcome! Thanks!!!

3,500+- trailer towing and larger tires would translate into the only choice, Rubicon. Why? Taller tires are going to change the gearing structure one, and two, towing with taller tires puts this item under the spot light. With the Rubicon, it will come with 4.11 axle gears while the Sahara will come with 3.73 gears if your have the option to get a "lower gear ratio". Sahara does not get the 4.11 gears. In addition to, the Rubicon will equip the vehicle with Dana 44 axle housings front and rear and locking differentials front and rear which both will help resale down the road. I believe the cost increase for the Rubicon to be about $3,000 more but because of your need to tow "often" plus the larger tires, you will be much better off with the Rubicon gear ratios in the long run. So that we are clear, I'm referring to towing your boat at highway speeds and keeping those speeds on average. If there were no highways with mountain and hilly roads, the Sahara will suffice or if you don't care about your Jeep slowing down and constantly shifting gears when in mountainous areas.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Well the MOAB is out now so that could be a good fit?

OP
OP
Woodynj

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
3,500+- trailer towing and larger tires would translate into the only choice, Rubicon. Why? Taller tires are going to change the gearing structure one, and two, towing with taller tires puts this item under the spot light. With the Rubicon, it will come with 4.11 axle gears while the Sahara will come with 3.73 gears if your have the option to get a "lower gear ratio". Sahara does not get the 4.11 gears. In addition to, the Rubicon will equip the vehicle with Dana 44 axle housings front and rear and locking differentials front and rear which both will help resale down the road. I believe the cost increase for the Rubicon to be about $3,000 more but because of your need to tow "often" plus the larger tires, you will be much better off with the Rubicon gear ratios in the long run. So that we are clear, I'm referring to towing your boat at highway speeds and keeping those speeds on average. If there were no highways with mountain and hilly roads, the Sahara will suffice or if you don't care about your Jeep slowing down and constantly shifting gears when in mountainous areas.
So if tires stayed stock is towing better with the rubicon? Biggest I would do on the Sahara is 33 and maybe 35 on rubicon, but may just stay stock on the rubicon. I would be on the freeway (65mph) and a few hills (New jersey hills not Rocky Mountains)

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So if tires stayed stock is towing better with the rubicon? Biggest I would do on the Sahara is 33 and maybe 35 on rubicon, but may just stay stock on the rubicon. I would be on the freeway (65mph) and a few hills (New jersey hills not Rocky Mountains)
Yes the 4.10 gears will be better for towing.

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
THIS ^^^^^^^

-Eli

Sponsored

OP
OP
Woodynj

Woodynj

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Just put my order in! Went with the Sahara. Black on Black. Decided the rubicon was too much money for stuff I won’t use. Now I need to find new wheels and tires. Hopefully can find a set of rubicon takeoffs. The rubicon 33’s on the Sahara really change he look.

Now to wait 4-6 weeks :(

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Just put my order in! Went with the Sahara. Black on Black. Decided the rubicon was too much money for stuff I won’t use. Now I need to find new wheels and tires. Hopefully can find a set of rubicon takeoffs. The rubicon 33’s on the Sahara really change he look.

Now to wait 4-6 weeks :(
Excellent.

You really couldn't have made a bad choice here, either way. Both vehicles are plenty capable and offer what you need, but you aren't getting a significantly lesser Jeep by going with the Sahara. And no, you won't have any problems finding Rubicon take-offs. The JL is still relatively new, so there won't be as massive a market as there is for a JK, but you'll find 'em. Plenty of JL parts showing up on Craigslist.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
"3,500+- trailer towing and larger tires would translate into the only choice, Rubicon"

Dude all models carry the 3500lbs towing capacity.

This entire thread is absolutely pointless and never ending. Surely after 86 posts, he should have his final answer.

person500

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Moab Edition, 2018 JLU Sahara
Do what I did: buy a Sahara for the better road manners and slightly nicer interior (plastic vs fake leather dash). Put on Rubi wheels and/or tires, de-bling the grill by painting the insert, paint your tow hooks red. Voila! Saharicon—I.e., Sahara with some of the nicer aesthetic Rubicon parts.
Sponsored