Cabin Filter - Rubicon

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
Can you guys/gals with the 2018 JKU look and see if there is a cabin filter in the cradle of your JKU or is the cradle empty/without actual filters. My 2014 JK came without cabin filters inserted so I bought them and inserted them and YES, they make a difference.

To check for cabin filter, you can easily pop out the glove box and look back in the opening. You will see a black mesh cradle there with 2 doors that open. IF a cabin filter is present you will see one and the color of same will undoubtedly be white. You may see two small cabin filters in the cradle side by side as that is the way some aftermarket ones are.

If no cabin filter(s) inserted I'm on a quest to find the filter #. May be the same as the 2014-2018 JK but thus far I do not know this. Quadratec says the same but I don't trust them.

How to change video:
Sponsored

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
Well, I found out cabin filter# for the 2018 JL/JLU. Would someone please takes a minute and take a look to see if their 2018 Rubicon has a cabin air filter sitting in the cradle/ comes from factory with one actually in the cradle.. Only takes a minute to look. IF yours does not you will want to get a cabin air filter.

Cabin Air Filter for JL/JLU
Part#
Mopar 68301863AA

Last edited:

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
The owners manual implies all Wranglers come with a cabin filter. The glove box is much changed so I need to read the manual on how to pop it out to confirm but maybe someone else already did?

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
The owners manual implies all Wranglers come with a cabin filter. The glove box is much changed so I need to read the manual on how to pop it out to confirm but maybe someone else already did?
Thanks for your reply. Hope you can give me a definitive answer. Undoubtedly, the glove box comes out very easily. Let all know here about glove box removal, ok...

JK Manual said that about cabin filters in past years but the actual filter element itself was not in the cradle when the Wrangler came from the factory. That's why I am asking now. IF you guys/gals say no filter element in cradle, I will buy and have for use when my JL arrives. When I remove the filter element from my JK each year it is black from road soot, etc..

My guess is 95% of Wrangker JK owner's are clueless that they can insert a filter element in the empty cradle of their JK.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Yea my JK had the spot for it but I had to put it in myself. I thought that was pretty stupid. I should be able to get out there and pull it out in the next hour or so and see if my sport has it. If the sport has it the other trims will for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
Can't believe not one Rubicon JL owner will take 5 minutes to go out to his friggin JL, pop the glove box (easy, push down clamp at top of glove box to release) and look to see if the cabin filter element is or is not in the cradle. For the record, I ask little and offer more in a forum then I get ... Please someone..

p.s. If you measure the height of one of your lugnuts that would be appreciated too. 8-)

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
Can't believe not one Rubicon JL owner will take 5 minutes to go out to his friggin JL, pop the glove box (easy, push down clamp at top of glove box to release) and look to see if the cabin filter element is or is not in the cradle. For the record, I ask little and offer more in a forum then I get ... Please someone..

p.s. If you measure the height of one of your lugnuts that would be appreciated too. 8-)
hey, your sports friend comes to the rescue. There is a cabin air filter! I want to check this too because I notice the rubber texture around the base of my shifter and cup holders caught a lot yellow dust. Anyone else notice this as well? See the 2nd picture.

Does anyone know if I can use the green / white box to source power from dash cam?

IMG_20180218_105300.jpg

IMG_20180215_115457.jpg

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
  • Banned
snipe:
hey, your sports friend comes to the rescue. There is a cabin air filter
@Yutao ... Thanks much for taking the time to take a looksee!

I wanted to order cabin filter elements so I have them on hand in case my JL when it arrives has no elements in the cradle.

Can tell you my JK's cabin air filters get real sooty, dirty, so as far as I'm concerned, the air cabin filter elements in the cradle are a must. Must change element yearly at least.

As far as your yellow dust, my guess is that is material/yellowish dust that was lets say came to reside in the air duct system during the Jeep assembly process. Hopefully, once it all blows out you will undoubtedly never see such dust again..

Can't give info on power source you want as I do not have my JL yet.

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
snipe:

@Yutao ... Thanks much for taking the time to take a looksee !

I wanted to order cabin filter elements so I have them on hand in case my JL when it arrives has no elements in the cradle.

Can tell you my JK's cabin air filters get real sooty, dirty, so as far as I'm concerned, the air cabin filter elements in the cradle are a must.

As far as your yellow dust, my guess is that is material/yellowish dust that was lets say came to reside in the air duct system during the Jeep assembly process. Hopefully, once it all blows out you will undoubtedly never see such dust again..

Can't give info on power source you want as I do not have my JL yet.
Not a problem! Hopefully no more yellow dust once it all blows out. :like: I was hoping JL would have a fuse box there, but a bit disappointed to only see those green and white boxes. Hopefully someone is familiar on how to source power from them.

Sschmittou

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jku 75th anniversary, 2018 JlU rubicon
Occupation
Homeland security
Lol wait, my 2017 my not have a filter?

Oh I'm check my 17 and 18 as soon as I get off work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
Not a problem! Hopefully no more yellow dust once it all blows out. :like:
You might want to take a minute and pop the cabin filter out of the cradle and blow it off. There may be a bunch of that "yellow dust" debris residing on the surface of the filter. Only takes a minute to pull the element out of the cradle.

About the 12v, switched power source. Don't be to quick to cut into those wiring blocks that you pictured. You might want to make a forum post asking others what they used successfully. Just watch what people tell you though..... reality is with today's vehicles you have to be very careful where you splice into, etc..

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
Lol wait, my 2017 my not have a filter?
Well, can tell you my 2007 Sahara and 2014 Sahara both came from the factory without elements in the cradle.

nstone97

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK Sport - 2009 Chevy Avalanche
Occupation
Project Manager / Engineer
snipe:

You might want to take a minute and pop the cabin filter out of the cradle and blow it off. There may be a bunch of that "yellow dust" debris residing on the surface of the filter. Only takes a minute to pull the element out of the cradle.

About the 12v, switched power source. Don't be to quick to cut into those wiring blocks that you pictured. You might want to make a forum post asking others what they used successfully. Just watch what people tell you though..... reality is with today's vehicles you have to be very careful where you splice into, etc..
Couldn't agree more. The only place I could find a switched 12V power source on the JK was the cigarette lighter in the front dash. All the other 12V sources were on all the time. With everything communicating over the canbus switched power to devices appears to be a thing of the past.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Like the above poster, I was able to confirm my Sport S has a Mopar cabin filter.

It's quite easy to get to and actually pretty similar to the JK. However, I noticed to open the air filter door you pinch two little tabs on the left. This is much easier than the JK. When putting the glove box back on note that on the left side there is a track you'll need to line up. It's really easy and causes the glove box to slowly open rather than just fall.

OP
OP
FatBoy01

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Like the above poster, I was able to confirm my Sport S has a Mopar cabin filter.

It's quite easy to get to and actually pretty similar to the JK. However, I noticed to open the air filter door you pinch two little tabs on the left. This is much easier than the JK. When putting the glove box back on note that on the left side there is a track you'll need to line up. It's really easy and causes the glove box to slowly open rather than just fall.
Good to know info. Could you also, please post this info here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/cabin-air-filter-part-servicing.5432/
Sponsored