Buzzdoc's 2021 JLUR build

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon Unlimited Snazzberry
IMG_4999.jpeg

My Fab Fours Matrix bumper install took it out of me, so I was lazy getting the winch wired in and spooled up. I was also debating where to relocate the winch control pack to get it out of the way. Fab Fours suggested behind the bumper, inside the engine bay, or even in the cockpit. Those are the obvious choices, but that damned control pack is pretty big. Shoehorning it in somewhere takes a little planning. Putting it any distance from the winch itself would require longer leads than I have currently installed, and due to the winch being hidden in the bumper, installing longer leads would mean removing the bumper and uninstalling the winch which is not on my list of things to do. That leaves my options a little more limited.

I decided to lean on my old days as an electrician's apprentice one summer during college. I removed the control pack from its pretty casing, and using binding tape, rubber tape, and electrical tape, I simulated a high-voltage connection. That makes the control pack much smaller and easier to stuff out of the way behind the bumper.

Here's the control pack half-wrapped and dangling.

IMG_4997.jpeg

Here is it completely wrapped and tucked up behind the bumper.

IMG_4998.jpeg

Now I just have the problem of the plug for the winch control being inconvenient to say the least (especially if you're in mud up to the frame). I bought a remote control assembly from Warn to relocate the plug, and I fabricated a bracket from 1/4" aluminum that I then sprayed with undercoat.

IMG_5002.jpeg

Now, if I'm completely honest, I had every intention of putting the control plug on the driver's side, but when I put the bracket in my vice to start bending, I just got after it with no thought to which direction I wanted the bend to go. Therefore- it's now on the passenger side!

I also added a Factor 55 Ultrahook. I think it's far more than I need in a hook, but what the hell.
See you have the front camera on your jeep, how bad does the prerunner bar get in the view? A picture of what the camera shows would be nice 👍 Was looking at going with this front bumper for my build, just can't decide on with or without the prerunner bars. Great job on the build by the way! Thanks!
Sponsored

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon Unlimited Snazzberry
I got my Fab Fours rear bumper installed yesterday.

IMG_4851.JPG

Overall, the install was pretty straightforward. The cheap plastic factory bumper is exactly that- cheap plastic. The hardest part of the install was getting the backup sensors out of the old bumper and installing them in the new bumper. There are 10000 little screws holding the plastic bumper together, and you have to completely disassemble the bumper to get the wiring harness with the sensors out. I used a putty knife to remove the bracket for the first sensor which is welded to the plastic bumper. It worked OK but did not remove it as cleanly as I'd like. The others came out perfectly using a sharp 1" chisel, and came out much easier. The second challenge was placing the sensor brackets on the new bumper. The two center sensors below the tire were difficult simply because there isn't much room to get your hand in there. The install kit came with 3-5 minute epoxy to attach the brackets to the new bumper, so you don't have a ton of time to work. It actually came with 2 pack of epoxy, but I didn't see the other pack until later. I had everything set up and ready to go, so I got them on before the epoxy cured.

Actually installing the bumper went very quickly. Everything lined up well and went right on with the help of my 13 yo son (who hopes to get this Jeep in 2-3 years).

If I have a complaint with this bumper, I wish they would've designed the license plate relocation plate differently. The plate reuses the LED light from the original bumper, but it just attaches to the bracket. There isn't a shroud that it sits in or anything. What you would think the light would mount in based on the photo (at least I thought it mounted inside there when I ordered it) is just a unnecessarily large cover for the wiring. From an aesthetic standpoint, that cover looks good, but I wish they would've integrated the light a little better.

I am still very happy with the look of the new bumper. Here's to hoping the weather hold out so I can get the front bumper installed today. I think it will be challenging as the winch sits very close to the mounting bracket holes. I'm afraid I'll have to unbolt the winch and move it around to get the bumper mounted. There isn't a whole lot of room in there to start with, and dealing with it on the front of the Jeep will probably be a struggle.
Did the backup sensors give you any problems after install? Have noticed that a lot of companies just drill some holes and call it good, sensors pickup all sorts of stuff after install, making them pointless to have at all. Just wondering how' well they did with there rear bumper. And how well you are liking it or not now after having it a while. Not a lot of people running there stuff out there in the real world.

OP
OP
buzzdoc

buzzdoc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WranglerUnlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glorified plumber
Did the backup sensors give you any problems after install? Have noticed that a lot of companies just drill some holes and call it good, sensors pickup all sorts of stuff after install, making them pointless to have at all. Just wondering how' well they did with there rear bumper. And how well you are liking it or not now after having it a while. Not a lot of people running there stuff out there in the real world.
It isn't perfect, but it's tolerable. The 2 outboard sensors pick up more than I'd like- there's usually a little beeping. I guess I'm used to it because my old F250 did the same thing new from the factory. The Jeep with the bumper is actually better than my truck was stock.

OP
OP
buzzdoc

buzzdoc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glorified plumber
See you have the front camera on your jeep, how bad does the prerunner bar get in the view? A picture of what the camera shows would be nice 👍 Was looking at going with this front bumper for my build, just can't decide on with or without the prerunner bars. Great job on the build by the way! Thanks!
I'll get a pic for you.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
From a fellow Yellow Jacket, nice build!

GT BSME '01

Sponsored

OP
OP
buzzdoc

buzzdoc

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Glorified plumber
From a fellow Yellow Jacket, nice build!

GT BSME '01
I'm a little older. Started in EE in 1992. Hated gate theory. Decided to go into BME since I wanted to get into medicine long-term. GT didn't have BME then, so I finished at Mercer. But I still bleed white and gold, even tho its harder to be a Tech fan lately.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
I'm a little older. Started in EE in 1992. Hated gate theory. Decided to go into BME since I wanted to get into medicine long-term. GT didn't have BME then, so I finished at Mercer. But I still bleed white and gold, even tho its harder to be a Tech fan lately.
Gotcha. I started in 1996 after the Olympians moved out of our dorms. I considered leaving Tech a few times but mainly because it was so difficult. Somehow I barely graduated, no problems finding work since.