Building it to last...

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
Hey guys, just sold my 2dr JLR recently, and am back in the market, this time for JLU(possibly R).

Might be a bit of a ramble, but here goes:

I want to get this Jeep and keep it for long enough to give to my 2 year old son for when he is 18. I tend to keep my cars until they die.

I though I'd build a JLU Willys with only the Alpine, and tow package. Since it wouldn't be loaded with electronics, it would last the years.

I really do want a loaded JLUR, but afraid that the seat heaters may break or the heated steering wheel won't work in 10 years, or the 8.4 rain will brick, etc. In reality, I probably wouldn't fully take advantage of the Rubicon's tools, but I'd def offroad the crap out of it.

Any advice or feedback if you've struggled with this type of situation would be appreciated.
Sponsored

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
My opinion, get what you want. I personally would never add the U. Who knows if ICE vehicles will even be legal in 16 years, I guess that depends on election results. Get and enjoy what fits your needs and any 18 y/o should be happy to be given any vehicle and not care if the heated seats or steering wheel works.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
That is a pretty lofty goal, but doable. It is really hard to say what will give you the most problems over a 15 year period. To generalize, FCA products do tend to have more electrical problems than most, but while it might cost money, those things are easily changeable.

I also opted for a “rustic” version with little power anything. If you don’t lift it or put on massive tires, the overall vehicle should last a long time.

As for off-road, I have gone over some decent trails with just a stock Sport (you can see the hills in the background of my picture). I wouldn’t sell it short, provided you have a good set of tires (and maybe upgrade the shocks). You end up saving a ton of money and having a Jeep that drives much better on the road.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
My opinion, get what you want. I personally would never add the U. Who knows if ICE vehicles will even be legal in 16 years, I guess that depends on election results. Get and enjoy what fits your needs and any 18 y/o should be happy to be given any vehicle and not care if the heated seats or steering wheel works.
ICE vehicles will still be legal in 16 years, but there may be a lot of hoops to jump through and the price of gas could be ridiculous. Pretty sure they will be driven off the road by sheer impracticality.

But one thing that's certainly true, this is a very difficult time to set aside a vehicle for a 2 year old. The automotive industry is in a major transition. Very likely this kid will look at a JL even worse than a Model T. It will be an interesting cool retro vehicle, a clutch will be absolutely fascinating if they learn how to drive it. But it will very likely be absolutely impractical, loaded with useless obsolete electronics, very likely too costly to use on a daily basis. It won't be interesting because of what it is, it will be interesting because of what is lacking/broken/incompatible. The JL is neither an old manual vehicle that you can make last forever, nor a vehicle that will be remotely compatible with 2037 technology. It's a cusp vehicle that will be laughably crappy by then.

Seriously, don't be surprised if the kid laughs in your face if they're given that car. Thanks a lot, dinosaur.

IMO, If you want to set aside a vehicle for a 2 year old today, find a CJ, YJ or maybe a TJ and take good care of it. It will be just as compatible in 2037 as was when it was new. 100% manually operated and still completely compatible with humans, while making zero attempt at being compatible with electronic devices.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
You’re in California. What makes you think California will still let you even register the vehicle. They can’t stop you from owning one but they can certainly prohibit you from registering it. Ask some pre 2007 diesel owners from your state.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re in California. What makes you think California will still let you even register the vehicle. They can’t stop you from owning one but they can certainly prohibit you from registering it. Ask some pre 2007 diesel owners from your state.
Very good point. Could very well have to go the Vintage/Historical Vehicle route. With all the limitations thereof. In another state.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
ICE vehicles will still be legal in 16 years, but there may be a lot of hoops to jump through and the price of gas could be ridiculous. Pretty sure they will be driven off the road by sheer impracticality.

But one thing that's certainly true, this is a very difficult time to set aside a vehicle for a 2 year old. The automotive industry is in a major transition. Very likely this kid will look at a JL even worse than a Model T. It will be an interesting cool retro vehicle, a clutch will be absolutely fascinating if they learn how to drive it. But it will very likely be absolutely impractical, loaded with useless obsolete electronics, very likely too costly to use on a daily basis. It won't be interesting because of what it is, it will be interesting because of what is lacking/broken/incompatible. The JL is neither an old manual vehicle that you can make last forever, nor a vehicle that will be remotely compatible with 2037 technology. It's a cusp vehicle that will be laughably crappy by then.

Seriously, don't be surprised if the kid laughs in your face if they're given that car. Thanks a lot, dinosaur.

IMO, If you want to set aside a vehicle for a 2 year old today, find a CJ, YJ or maybe a TJ and take good care of it. It will be just as compatible in 2037 as was when it was new. 100% manually operated and still completely compatible with humans, while making zero attempt at being compatible with electronic devices.

I passed down dad’s 3A a few years ago and it will probably be going long after I’m gone. Electronics- lights and heater fan. I wouldn’t recommend a flat fender but a V6 or V8 (mine was Chevy) CJ5, absolutely! Very little to go wrong, if something does they are simple to fix and parts are available ( they are still available for the 71 year old 3A ) they will last for generations

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I passed down dad’s 3A a few years ago and it will probably be going long after I’m gone. Electronics- lights and heater fan. I wouldn’t recommend a flat fender but a V6 or V8 (mine was Chevy) CJ5, absolutely! Very little to go wrong, if something does they are simple to fix and parts are available ( they are still available for the 71 year old 3A ) they will last for generations
Awesome! Exactly. I bet everything in that 3A is (or can be) 100% as functional as it was new. Yes, it's very simple but it can be appreciated for what it is and always was. We won't be able to say that for the JL. The ECM is a proprietary encrypted black box, completely dependent on Jeep for anything in there. All interfaces will be as alien and useless as 8-Tracks yet they are required for diagnosing, repair not to mention basic use. The mechanics of the JL may be capable of lasting for generations but electronic compatibility won't and you can't remove that from the equation. It will be really difficult to deal with. You can't even get junkyard electronic parts without reprogramming it to the new VIN. The JL requires a supporting infrastructure. Just a nightmare compared to a 3A.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome! Exactly. I bet everything in that 3A is (or can be) 100% as functional as it was new. Yes, it's very simple but it can be appreciated for what it is and always was. We won't be able to say that for the JL. The ECM is a proprietary encrypted black box, completely dependent on Jeep for anything in there. All interfaces will be as alien and useless as 8-Tracks yet they are required for diagnosing, repair not to mention basic use. The mechanics of the JL may be capable of lasting for generations but electronic compatibility won't and you can't remove that from the equation. It will be really difficult to deal with. You can't even get junkyard electronic parts without reprogramming it to the new VIN. The JL requires a supporting infrastructure. Just a nightmare compared to a 3A.
Yep- I have a V10 Dodge PU that recently almost became scrap due to a discontinued ignition control module. Searched for 2 months before finding one in a out of state junk yard. One unavailable module,computer,etc and they are junk yard bound

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
The auto industry is rapidly changing, In 16 years, your kid will want electric or fuel cell. ICE will be expensive to maintain in 16 years, and will not be desirable to any teenager. And lets face it, given Jeep’s history, we’ll be lucky if the brand is still in business in 16 years so parts might be hard to come by. It would be like if your dad said today “Here son, have my well worn Studebaker, use it as your daily driver and good luck maintaining it”.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The auto industry is rapidly changing, In 16 years, your kid will want electric or fuel cell. ICE will be expensive to maintain in 16 years, and will not be desirable to any teenager. And lets face it, given Jeep’s history, we’ll be lucky if the brand is still in business in 16 years so parts might be hard to come by. It would be like if your dad said today “Here son, have my well worn Studebaker, use it as your daily driver and good luck maintaining it”.
As much as it depresses an old petrol head like me you are correct
Sponsored