FL Mojito

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
When installing the LOD Destroyer sliders, I broke one of the bolts. In the center and rear of the jeep next to body bolts, there are two smaller bolts. Made a stupid mistake while installing and snapped one of these bolts. It is the two bolts labled A in the diagram. Any idea how to fix or replace these? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 2.06.39 PM.png
Sponsored

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
How did you break them? You said re-installing? Did you cross-thread it, or did you not clean out like loctite or whatever was in the threads maybe? Learning how you broke it (got it so stuck) would help determine the best course of action for removal. For instance, if it is cross-threaded, or really truly stuck in there, taking it out with a reverse drill bit likely won't work. It won't be durable enough to unscrew it.

You may end up needing to drill it out. Start small and increase size until it caves in and falls out. It will end up needing a drill bit almost as large as the main shaft of the bolt to get it to come out this way.

Only other idea I have is find a welder and weld a nut or something else onto it - give it a new bolt head, and then unbolt it. The welds need to be good for this to work, depending on how stuck it is, though.

OP
OP

FL Mojito

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I over torqued the nut and snapped the bolt. Was installing with impact gun and had on the wrong setting and snapped it while tightening. It was dumb and just working fast and not paying attention. I was thinking about drilling it out and getting a new bolt/nut and some washers. It seems the bolt is a stud and welded in place.

Two options are drilling out or taking to dealer/bodyshop to replace mount.

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I over torqued the nut and snapped the bolt. Was installing with impact gun and had on the wrong setting and snapped it while tightening. It was dumb and just working fast and not paying attention. I was thinking about drilling it out and getting a new bolt/nut and some washers. It seems the bolt is a stud and welded in place.

If it was fully bolted in, and you just overtightened it, and broke off the head, then you probably could re-weld a new head on and really it's no big deal. The threading should be in tact still.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ

Post a photo, its hard to tell you how to approach without seeing the status of that bolt.

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
If it was fully bolted in, and you just overtightened it, and broke off the head, then you probably could re-weld a new head on and really it's no big deal. The threading should be in tact still.
From the pic he snapped off the nut with the threads. The head will be more than likely tacked above the body mount assembly. You need to do some digging and see what it would take to get above that or if removing the troublesome big bolt and other nut will allow it to drop down.

Brett

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Ohhh, yeah, the bolt looks like it's tacked/welded in place, and I see, the nut comes off. I didn't have to touch those on mine (JCR) but now I see what you mean.. bummer..

OP
OP

FL Mojito

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Here are the pics. It is a stud, tacked in place. I do not think the existing piece is fixable, so either go to dealer to replace or drill out at try and fix it with a nut and bolt from hardware store.

IMG_6747.JPG
IMG_2000.JPG

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Here are the pics. It is a stud, tacked in place. I do not think the existing piece is fixable, so either go to dealer to replace or drill out at try and fix it with a nut and bolt from hardware store.

IMG_6747.JPG
IMG_2000.JPG
Can you access the top of it? If you can see if you can knock it out with a punch and replace with a bolt and nut up top

Brett

OP
OP

FL Mojito

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I can access the top. Not a ton of room. I thought about trying to punch it out, but it seems on there pretty good. May try to punch it first if that doesn't work then drill it out. Off to find a replacement nut and bolt.

Sponsored

lodoffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLU
That's a bummer! I'd probably just drill it out like everyone else had suggested. If it's any consolation we've been running for almost a year with one missing nut:blush:. Maybe just wait and see if it causes any squeaking or other issues?

-Michael

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I can access the top. Not a ton of room. I thought about trying to punch it out, but it seems on there pretty good. May try to punch it first if that doesn't work then drill it out. Off to find a replacement nut and bolt.
Or, if you have a hacksaw, you can just use the blade with something wrapped around the blade to hold on to, cut off the tack welded stud and bolt it back on. Just using the blade would be the equivalent of using a flush cut saw, the blade will bend pretty good, like I said, just wrap something around the blade to hold on to.
Sponsored