Sponsored

Broke my light switch

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
A while back I posted that I accidentally kneed my head light switch in the cabin. This pushed the switch in a bit although it still worked. I tried to remove the assembly today and I’m doing so accidentally popped the rotary switch off.
Anyone know if this can be repaired? Or do I just need to get a knew switch?

28D49B4E-D8D2-45B5-96CA-B2018A13A342.jpeg
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
A while back I posted that I accidentally kneed my head light switch in the cabin. This pushed the switch in a bit although it still worked. I tried to remove the assembly today and I’m doing so accidentally popped the rotary switch off.

28D49B4E-D8D2-45B5-96CA-B2018A13A342.jpeg
They are cheap, pretty sure they are like $64.00 just order another!! that thing looks like it's toast.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Jeep Wrangler JL Broke my light switch 28D49B4E-D8D2-45B5-96CA-B2018A13A342
Jesus. Are you 5'19"? Lol. Those are some knees of steel.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
OP
OP
SuperNerdEE

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Thank you all for your replies. I’ll order a switch. Hopefully they aren’t on backorder. Seems like with supply chain issues no one can buy anything.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Thank you all for your replies. I’ll order a switch. Hopefully they aren’t on backorder. Seems like with supply chain issues no one can buy anything.
I recently ordered some 2 door seat cables...it took 5 weeks but they finally arrived.

OP
OP
SuperNerdEE

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Okay so I ordered a new light switch. Buuuuuut I have no idea when it will get here and it’s already past due (I paid for expedite).

Now on to good news. It can be fixed and I fixed it! For now this is a stop gap as some plastics on the switch housing broke in the initial incident but I figured I’d record here for those in the future that it can be fixed. So if you break your switch like me, you likely can repair it!

The trick is you gotta take the whole thing apart. I took the “back” of the light switch assembly. Switch housing back houses the connector which is attached to a circuit card. Just a few plastic latches around the perimeter to get it apart. Then, with the circuit board removed, the rotating switch can be put back in. This is what I accidentally pulled apart during my attempt at disassembly. The trick with putting the rotating switch back is that is there is a metal pin that needs to be inside the rotating switch that you have to push into the switch itself. It is not possible to do this from the front side of the assembly. But this can be done from the backside of the switch with the circuit card removed. Just push the switch in from the front side and use a small flat head screwdriver to push the pin “in.” Takes a couple tries to line things up but once they do, all is well!

After that, simply pop the circuit board back on. Gotta be careful with this as there are metal fingers used to contact the circuit card and determine switch positions etc. so before doing this make sure none are bent funny and if they are bend them back so they will make good contact with the circuit card. Its all relatively simple.

I already put the whole thing back together and tested it. Everything works and I’m not keen on tearing it back apart until after I get a new switch. But once I do, if folks are interested, I could show a step by step rebuild process.

Cheers and happy jeeping!
Sponsored