Sponsored

Bourbon talk...

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
What do you consider collector pricing? I can find them for $125
People can spend their money however they would like. Anything over MSRP is collector, flipper, gouging pricing in my mind but that is just me. It is the reason I haven’t tried nor will try Pappy I assume forever. I can get any Blantons for MSRP at either BT which I live 20 minutes from or my local liquor store so I enjoy Blanton a lot. I think it is a very good $60 bourbon. For $120 no thank you.

When I first moved to KY I went into 50 liquor stores or so. Any of those that were selling for above MSRP I walked out. I finally found one that only sells everything they get at MSRP. The key to move up on the list is to show you are a good customer. You buy other things and they know when they sell a bottle to one of their customer, they will enjoy it either themselves or as a gift but they eliminate flippers that way. It works for me and the others. After about 1.5 years I finally get a bottle of Weller 12yr (he only gets about 4 a year). I will drink it and hopefully enjoy it. He only gets one bottle of Pappy 23 yr estimated. I doubt I will ever get that 😂
Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
People can spend their money however they would like. Anything over MSRP is collector, flipper, gouging pricing in my mind but that is just me. It is the reason I haven’t tried nor will try Pappy I assume forever. I can get any Blantons for MSRP at either BT which I live 20 minutes from or my local liquor store so I enjoy Blanton a lot. I think it is a very good $60 bourbon. For $120 no thank you.

When I first moved to KY I went into 50 liquor stores or so. Any of those that were selling for above MSRP I walked out. I finally found one that only sells everything they get at MSRP. The key to move up on the list is to show you are a good customer. You buy other things and they know when they sell a bottle to one of their customer, they will enjoy it either themselves or as a gift but they eliminate flippers that way. It works for me and the others. After about 1.5 years I finally get a bottle of Weller 12yr (he only gets about 4 a year). I will drink it and hopefully enjoy it. He only gets one bottle of Pappy 23 yr estimated. I doubt I will ever get that 😂

I totally agree, I have tried the Pappy's all the years but they were at tasting dinners. And as a buddy that was born and raised in Hazard Kentucky and has hit it big it the Bourbon restaurant chain industry in the south says "Noah's Mill is the average man's Pappy and at $40 a bottle a steal!!!" Stick with it and skip the Pappy.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Very, very few people have the ability to demand allocated bourbon at suggested retail or walk out. It’s just not a thing anymore. No matter how much you buy. The closest thing that most people will find is one slightly marked up allocated bottle if you buy xxx, usually another non allocated bottle above a certain price or a specific store picked low demand bottle that they want to sell. You’re not going to walk into a store and buy a $35 Eagle Rare anywhere anymore without some conditions attached. I felt lucky to get the one I found for $45 with a $30 additional purchase, so I spent the extra $60. This is not my regular store, it’s a place I visit 4 times a year for work in Kentucky. You’ve fortunate to have that luxury.

comatzd

First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You’re not going to walk into a store and buy a $35 Eagle Rare anywhere anymore without some conditions attached.
Like you said, this is pretty much standard now. One of my local shops has a drawing once a week for the opportunity to buy an allocated item that week (choice of maybe 6 random bottles that week). They have a bar so you have to buy a whiskey flight, or food, or some other stipulation to get a raffle ticket. I managed to snag an ER and a Weller SR for just over MSRP that way (separate occasions). Otherwise we never see those on the shelf.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Like you said, this is pretty much standard now. One of my local shops has a drawing once a week for the opportunity to buy an allocated item that week (choice of maybe 6 random bottles that week). They have a bar so you have to buy a whiskey flight, or food, or some other stipulation to get a raffle ticket. I managed to snag an ER and a Weller SR for just over MSRP that way (separate occasions). Otherwise we never see those on the shelf.
Geez, that’s even worse than buy 1 +1 IMO. You’ve got to spend money to get a CHANCE to buy a bottle. I spend $50 on a raffle ticket for a bottle of Pappy 23 every year, but that’s for charity.

I’m not big on Welles SR but at least it’s still readily available fie $25 around here. Maybe not for long by the sound of it.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Very, very few people have the ability to demand allocated bourbon at suggested retail or walk out. It’s just not a thing anymore. No matter how much you buy. The closest thing that most people will find is one slightly marked up allocated bottle if you buy xxx, usually another non allocated bottle above a certain price or a specific store picked low demand bottle that they want to sell. You’re not going to walk into a store and buy a $35 Eagle Rare anywhere anymore without some conditions attached. I felt lucky to get the one I found for $45 with a $30 additional purchase, so I spent the extra $60. This is not my regular store, it’s a place I visit 4 times a year for work in Kentucky. You’ve fortunate to have that luxury.
Let's be clear I do not demand anything. I choose where and how to spend my money. If liquor stores want to charge over for an allocated bourbon then that is his/her choose. He claims he has all the leverage, gets the bourbon and people want it at MSRP + X dollars. My mentality is I have the money so I have the leverage and honestly I do not need or want ANY bourbon that bad to play the game.

I was able after a search to now find a local liquor store that does not play the games. Everything he sells at MSRP. Sure plenty of the allocated bottles stay in the back. You don't even really know what he has until you show up. The manager has built great relationships with the locals that will respect this arrangement and they are not going to "flip" the bottles. They enjoy them. There is banter back and forth about the weekly news, kids, local sports teams and it is more than just going in and trying to get the tough bourbons. I am at a point now with him where I can get many of the "mid tier allocated" bourbons like Eagle Rare, Blantons etc any time I want. He knows I will just ask when I am empty. The other times when I walk in he brings out something special that I may like and offers it like last week I got a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.

He does have a decent volume store but like everyone here in the heart of bourbon country on allocation so the Pappy's, Wellers, Old Forester Birthday etc etc they are hard to get but if you are fortunate to get one from them, they are at MSRP. I guess that is just my kind of establishment that I like to support rather than the used car type liquor stores.

Story over.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Some high rollers up in here experiencing some drink that I would never even give a second glance to due to the cost, but strolled in to Costco last night and stumbled on this:
116.8 proof and a little stout up front. Smooth and mellow on the back end. Might as well be Coor’s Light to some of you I’m sure but I’m enjoying it and thought some others may as well.🥃
I've been pleasantly surprised by the higher-end and experimental offerings from both Wild Turkey and Jim Beam. They definitely know what makes their money, but they also know how to branch out and deliver some good stuff!

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Let's be clear I do not demand anything. I choose where and how to spend my money. If liquor stores want to charge over for an allocated bourbon then that is his/her choose. He claims he has all the leverage, gets the bourbon and people want it at MSRP + X dollars. My mentality is I have the money so I have the leverage and honestly I do not need or want ANY bourbon that bad to play the game.

I was able after a search to now find a local liquor store that does not play the games. Everything he sells at MSRP. Sure plenty of the allocated bottles stay in the back. You don't even really know what he has until you show up. The manager has built great relationships with the locals that will respect this arrangement and they are not going to "flip" the bottles. They enjoy them. There is banter back and forth about the weekly news, kids, local sports teams and it is more than just going in and trying to get the tough bourbons. I am at a point now with him where I can get many of the "mid tier allocated" bourbons like Eagle Rare, Blantons etc any time I want. He knows I will just ask when I am empty. The other times when I walk in he brings out something special that I may like and offers it like last week I got a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.

He does have a decent volume store but like everyone here in the heart of bourbon country on allocation so the Pappy's, Wellers, Old Forester Birthday etc etc they are hard to get but if you are fortunate to get one from them, they are at MSRP. I guess that is just my kind of establishment that I like to support rather than the used car type liquor stores.

Story over.
Oh I completely get it. But like I said, that sort o f situation is the exception not the rule. I have also built a relationship with my local store. They don’t have it all of the time, but I’ve finally gotten to the point where I get a call or text at least some of the time. While I’m typing this message I had this text exchange:
Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... E7DA54FE-17D0-4A16-8251-FBC43E8AA48B

Score one for the good guys!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So I shouldn't brag about this one that I just got straight from the distillery? 😁

Jeep Wrangler JL Bourbon talk... E7DA54FE-17D0-4A16-8251-FBC43E8AA48B
I’ve never had that, but it looks great! However the Irish Whiskey thread is that way. ↘

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So I just got home from work and broke open the Knob Creek Single Barrel Select. I’m still judging it, but I should have paid closer attention to the label that clearly states “120 Proof”. It is not for weak or delicate men.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked this up today. I know nothing about it other than my guy recommended it and said he doesn’t get it often. I will report back.
That's good juice. You should enjoy it.
Sponsored