Blinded by the Shifter

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I have searched, possibly poorly, but is anyone else blinded by reflected light off the shifter? When the sun is at certain angles it seems to go right in my eye. I can't be the only one.
Are you currently taking statin drugs or anti inflammatory medications?
Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Wow. For once I'm not the only one. Same non-problem here. It bothers me on every sunny day, but sun and direction have to be just right, then the chrome ring reflection is directly in my field of vision. Not glaring or blinding, but a minor annoyance for sure, usually noticed when driving long distances and bored. I was going to put some type of tape on it or something.
Exactly!

smarshall

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I really didn't want to get drawn into this thread. But I have a similar issue, not with the shifter of course, because my hand is on it. And its never sunny in Michigan. My problem, and its not a problem, but is related.. is the chrome ring around the steering column is reflected onto the windshield. Years ago there were articles about light dash material or metal, and the reflections it would cause in the glass and why certain materials are best, etc etc. So I am surprised by the chrome ring exists from FCA, and they didn't notice reflection/glare it casts on the windshield. Sure I could do something about it, but, as I mentioned before... Michigan... no sun... :) Oh, FCA is Michigan too, maybe that's why. :)
Funny. I had the same issue. Solved it with a strip of Scotch 33 cut to fit. Quality electrical tape has endless uses.:like:

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
This whole thread :headbang: Seems like some of you should trade your Jeep for a Camry!! :LOL:

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
This whole thread :headbang: Seems like some of you should trade your Jeep for a Camry!! :LOL:
Never heard of such a car? truck? There are 3 car companies: Ford, GM, and fCA. I wish the rest of the United States understood that. :)

I always thought they dominated until I visit any other state. Depresses me, and I am happy to get home to Michigan!

Sponsored

Outlaw

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1992 YJ Wrangler, 1995 F350 Powerstroke, 1994 Ford Bronco
Came here expecting a story about road head gone wrong

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I too have an irrational fear of being momentarily dazzled. For this reason I now drive with welding goggles on :CWL:

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I first chuckled when i first saw/read this thread but then driving over the weekend my wife in the passenger seat goes "whoa!" and has to cover the shifter with her hand because it's reflecting right at her face. Who knew.

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
Well, you could always trade in for a manual...no glare and the lever is longer...which is a real confidence booster!! ;)