Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I got the same exact thing hapoen to me
In my 2021 a few weeks ago. I gave it a hard restart (hold power and select buttons for over ten seconds until screen restarts) and the camera came back after uConnect turned back on.
I just did a search here and found this thread. My week old Jeep backup camera started showing an all white screen with the back up lines.

Only think I did was morning I opened the fuse box and pressed them all down as everyone seems to recommend here. Then later noticed the camera was screwed up. I went back into the fuses and pressed them all down again, no joy.

I just tried the hard reset trick and it's working. Thanks!

My previous car, a 2019 Jeep Cherokee back up camera would go all distorted on me like an old tube TV. I discovered if I opened and closed the hatch back it would fix it for a month or two.

I did not feel like bringing my new wrangler to the deal for service so soon so I hope the fix holds.

Once I got used to having a backup camera, it drives me nuts when it doesn't work. I don't know how I did not run over several people and pets backing up in the olden days.
Sponsored

JbuckTN

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle 80th Anniversary - Diesel
I got the same exact thing hapoen to me
In my 2021 a few weeks ago. I gave it a hard restart (hold power and select buttons for over ten seconds until screen restarts) and the camera came back after uConnect turned back on.
I think that is a soft reboot @DavidArmen .
Here is the reboot process in a little more detail:
  1. Ensure your vehicle is in park and in “Run” mode.
  2. Press and hold down the volume and tuner knob buttons at the same time.
  3. Hold down the knobs for 10 – 20 seconds.
  4. After holding down the knobs, the screen should flash your vehicle brand name and then go dark. (you can let go of the knows at this point)
  5. After a few moments the brand name will return, the system will reinitialize, and it will return you to the main UConnect screen.
A reboot does wonders for the backup guidelines issue. That is a bug on the 8.4 Uconnect.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
  4. After holding down the knobs, the screen should flash your vehicle brand name and then go dark. (you can let go of the knows at this point)
  5. After a few moments the brand name will return, the system will reinitialize, and it will return you to the main UConnect screen.
A reboot does wonders for the backup guidelines issue. That is a bug on the 8.4 Uconnect.
Thanks for putting the steps in more detail for those who will need it in the future!

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
Thanks for putting the steps in more detail for those who will need it in the future!
Thanks, woke up this morning and my 30 day old camera stopped working. was pissed. So thankful for the knowledge here

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Just had a black screen this morning when I’m reverse. Only 2500 miles. First time this has happened but I get the missing backup lines frequently.

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
2021 JLUR WITH 2,000 miles, back up camera went dark. Pressed Volume+Tune for 20 seconds, that fixed it. I’m at 4,000 miles and haven’t had the issue.

Bedd

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL rubicon 2 door
Do you have problems with the auto lock function as well? Our new JL has had the same problem as nd our auto door lock doesn’t work. I’m wondering if it all has to do with Uconnect.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Do you have problems with the auto lock function as well? Our new JL has had the same problem as nd our auto door lock doesn’t work. I’m wondering if it all has to do with Uconnect.
I sometimes have to press the button on handle 2-3 times for it to lock. My auto lock seems to work (while I am in the vehicle when it locks after 5 minutes of driving).

Frankralfano

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Nacho Sahara JLU
it happens more on my 21 than it did on my 18.
Same, no issues on my '18, but the '21 has it at least 50%, either no lines or one constant beep. Yesterday was the first day where it was completely black except for the check surroundings message. Dealer said they never heard of it???

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Thanks for this, worked like a charm. I made a note and saved it on my iPad for the “next time”. Lol

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks for this, worked like a charm. I made a note and saved it on my iPad for the “next time”. Lol
Sometimes doing the UConnect reset is hard to trigger by the way you did ... with the radio knobs..

To reset UConnect, you can also, pull fuse F97 while your JL is running, wait say 10-15 seconds and then plug the fuse back in... now turn off the JL and then restart it... that usually, will get your cam right back...(unless there is a hardware issue) thanks to the UConnect reset.

Yellow arrow points to F97 .
Jeep Wrangler JL Blank screen on backup camera? F97 fuse marked

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
When I first picked up my '21 JL, it had the backup camera issues. Took it back to the dealer repeatedly and nothing they did addressed the issue. Eventually they replaced the head unit and that finally did the trick. Haven't had a hiccup since.

Desert Lab Rat

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited and a 1958 VW Bug
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Laboratory Manager/Naturalist/Jerk of All Trades
Hello gang, long time lurker, new member. Found this thread researching the intermittent black screen on my Rubicon.

Just to summarize the above posts, blue screen means loss of coms, either bad camera unit or bad cable/connector.
Intermittent Black screen means camera has coms but no video output. Soft reset is only a temporary solution.

After much troubleshooting and experimentation I found the cause and a solution to this issue.

The mini-BNC connector to the camera is not water or dust proof. Moisture is the issue, hence the post-carwash and cold weather reports. Way to go FCA/Stellantis!

The fix is as follows for JL:
1. Do not turn on the Jeep. No need to disconnect battery as system only has power to camera when it is active. Manually turn off your interior lights using the roller switches left hand of the steering wheel. Open the swing gate and close all the other doors. Wait for the infotainment system to turn back off.
2. Remove spare tire.
3. Disassemble tire carrier to access camera connector.
4. Carefully remove connector from back of camera. Then carefully remove the three small torx screws holding the camera to the tire horn. May be easier to do the screws first depending on what tools you have.
5. Using either 95% ethanol or 95% isopropanol* flush both cable connector and camera connector. Do not use any other type of cleaners!**
6. Let both connectors dry completely. (roughly one hour at room temperature)
7. Reassemble camera to cable.
8. Wrap the back of the camera, connector, and first inch of cable with Silicone tape(electrical tape will do but is not advised as it gets brittle with age and cold temps.)
9. Gently warm silicone tape with a hair dryer to ensure proper seal. Be careful not to obscure camera mating surface or screw holes!
10. Encapsulate tape with a high quality silicone. Lexel is best, but blue RTV will do.
11. Allow lexel to cure overnight.
12. Reassemble everything. Congrats, you have a mil-spec style waterproofed camera.
13. if problem persists you likely have a crimped cable in the swing gate strap

*You can usually get these percentages at the drug store. Resourceful hillbillies like myself know a bottle of good moonshine does the trick and provides something to do while doing this fix!
** anything else may contain excess water or other chemicals that may leave behind sticky residues.
If this procedure is good enough for the FLiR and video cameras on a 1B CIWS, it's good enough for a jeep. My camera has been error free for three months through all sorts of weather and car washes.
Sponsored