Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
So my local dealer texted me yesterday. I had been interested in buying a Renegade as a grocery getter. He told me that tomorrow, ALL Jeeps currently on dealer lots will only be sold at sticker price. no discounts. Anything that isn’t on the lot is getting a $2000 price increase.

This dealer hasn’t lied to me before and I know the chip shortage is about to make things complicated but that story is kinda hard to swallow at this point. So I’m curious if other dealers have heard the same thing or reported it to other potential buyers.
Sponsored

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So my local dealer texted me yesterday. I had been interested in buying a Renegade as a grocery getter. He told me that tomorrow, ALL Jeeps currently on dealer lots will only be sold at sticker price. no discounts. Anything that isn’t on the lot is getting a $2000 price increase.

This dealer hasn’t lied to me before and I know the chip shortage is about to make things complicated but that story is kinda hard to swallow at this point. So I’m curious if other dealers have heard the same thing or reported it to other potential buyers.
Online pricing has jumped considerably here in Canada as well for existing units.

GreatWhite13

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport s
I was looking at adding a JT to the garage and was told to do whatever i can to complete it this weekend.... no details beyond that. I kinda took it at they needed to hit quotas

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
The economy is in way worse shape than most folks realize. Inventories that backed up during the down times are being depleted and many suppliers aren't really back up yet. So, corporations like FCA/Stellawhatsiss that rely heavily on sourced components to assemble their products have been hit almost as badly as their customer bases, which means it's a problem both coming and going. The markets are holding up on the promise of more rescue funding; but, without that, we could actually get shakier before we get steadier.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The TrailHawk has many features that are "better" than the standard Renegade trim. I had the Trail Hawk, and consider it to be an excellent, capable vehicle. Those are good prices, if you are serious, get it now

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
The economy is in way worse shape than most folks realize. Inventories that backed up during the down times are being depleted and many suppliers aren't really back up yet. So, corporations like FCA/Stellawhatsiss that rely heavily on sourced components to assemble their products have been hit almost as badly as their customer bases, which means it's a problem both coming and going. The markets are holding up on the promise of more rescue funding; but, without that, we could actually get shakier before we get steadier.
Dealers are shockingly looking cleared out around here. We have 8 Kenworths on order and the salesman was telling us the plant has around 1200 built but parked waiting for various electronic components.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dealers are shockingly looking cleared out around here. We have 8 Kenworths on order and the salesman was telling us the plant has around 1200 built but parked waiting for various electronic components.
Yea, I’ve seen several dealers in our area that are parking cars diagonally to make their lots look more full.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most folks know that cleanrooms or clean processing units of one kind or another are essential to the fabrication of the chips and other parts in those electronic components. But, many folks might not know the mechanical systems that keep those cleanrooms and clean processing units "clean" have to run constantly, 24 hours a day, and that quickly gets extremely expensive, which is why many such foundries have to try to run 24 hours a day to be profitable.

When something like a pandemic is allowed to get out of control and hit their workforce, the costs associated with keeping a section of the foundry running can quickly overwhelm them. Unfortunately, getting even a large feature size foundry running and "clean" enough for high yield production is a lengthy, elaborate, and very costly process and you have to go through the whole process again if the power is cut for even a short period.

So, if any chip foundries or even just foundry units supplying these electronic components were forced to shutdown due to the pandemic, it may be a long time, if ever, before they are brought back up. And, if they are brought back up, it will be costly and we, the ultimate customers, will be reimbursing their losses and higher operating costs through higher vehicle prices. Welcome to the real world.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Then of course there is the printing of the money by the Federal Reserve Bank combined with Congress sending thousands of dollars to people to spend on whatever. Without judging whether these things are good/bad/necessary/excessive, it objectively injects a lot of short term demand into the economy at the same time that supply chain and other production issues are limiting availability of a lot goods, products and services. Basically recipe for increased inflation. Whether or not this is temporary or longer term is still TBD.

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
With all the steel shortages, I’m wondering what type of deals (if any) will we see during the holiday sales (especially Black Friday).

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then of course there is the printing of the money by the Federal Reserve Bank combined with Congress sending thousands of dollars to people to spend on whatever. Without judging whether these things are good/bad/necessary/excessive, it objectively injects a lot of short term demand into the economy at the same time that supply chain and other production issues are limiting availability of a lot goods, products and services. Basically recipe for increased inflation. Whether or not this is temporary or longer term is still TBD.
Unfortunately, the economy is in such precarious shape right now that it really doesn't matter what the money is spent on, good, bad, necessary, or excessive. it doesn't matter if we get a spurt of increased inflation. Hurt me, please! We are well equipped to deal with those things at the right time.

But, right now, we need to keep the dollars circulating and the workforce safely working, housed, and spinning the economy. I'm normally no charitable type of guy, didn't get where I am by being one, and the same sure goes for Powell. But, I've been here and seen this before and so has Powell. Pick whichever of my advanced grad degrees you want to argue with; but, I know what I'm talking about and so does Powell.

At this point, we just need to focus on keeping everybody swimming away from the whirlpool and, if that means throwing some funding into the breach to let the workforce stay with us and keep paddling, then it's money well spent ...at least until we get clear of the undertow.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
No, the economy is in very good shape. The problem is that the economy is doing so well that manufacturers can’t keep up with demand.
Car sales and other luxuries are in very high demand right now because the economy is booming. We are actually in an economic bubble at the moment. SMH
It’s called “price and demand”. Dealerships are doing so well that they are now able to raise the prices because money is burning holes in everyone’s pockets.

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Criswell told me something similar - If I didn't place my order on Friday, I wouldn't get the deal due to the price increases. Did not tell me what the increase was, or what for.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Don't forget about supplier shortages and increased pricing on those.

No, the economy is in very good shape. The problem is that the economy is doing so well that manufacturers can’t keep up with demand.
Car sales and other luxuries are in very high demand right now because the economy is booming. We are actually in an economic bubble at the moment. SMH
It’s called “price and demand”. Dealerships are doing so well that they are now able to raise the prices because money is burning holes in everyone’s pockets.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.