2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2018 Mercedes GLC, 2018 Ford Expidition

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Make sure to take adequate water, food, good recovery kit, first aid kit, and most importantly a properly tuned CB. Last time my wife and I went we wound up helping with a search and rescue for an older gentleman who "wandered" off and had been lost for several hours. His wife was pretty distraught and we were able to get a hold of the Park Rangers office and start SAR a lot earlier than had she had to hike back out herself. On a positive note about a week later we received a phone call from the lady thanking us for everything we did to help.

Deriggs007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU SportS
Occupation
Radiologist
Good information in this thread. I may not be a JEEP owner yet, but it's enticing me just to get me and the wife out that way. I'm adventurous, but very cautious and don't want to take big risks with kids and all, lol.

Can someone comment on the best places to camp, can be with power or roughing it. Prefer roughing it if it's worth the hassle, even if the Mrs's doesn't agree :D

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Did you wind up going? I'm waiting for a weekend where it's not raining.. and hopefully that comes before it's too hot.

Sponsored

jeepixel

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WBGO View, 2019 2d Wrangler Rubicon
Good information in this thread. I may not be a JEEP owner yet, but it's enticing me just to get me and the wife out that way. I'm adventurous, but very cautious and don't want to take big risks with kids and all, lol.

Can someone comment on the best places to camp, can be with power or roughing it. Prefer roughing it if it's worth the hassle, even if the Mrs's doesn't agree :D
Best places to camp. . . tent, motorhome, trailer, car. . . which one? The only RV campground with full hookups is at Rio Grande Village on the east side. It's basically a parking lot, but in a nice setting in a great location; note it's operated by an outside vendor, not the NPS. Adjacent to the RV camp to the east is the nice NPS campground that doesn't have hookups. There are a lot of sites there and some shade, too, which is a big bonus. Both are virtually next to the river. Good, but very tight, is the campground in the Chisos Basin, more suitable for tent or very small trailers, but I know a few brave souls who've taken their (less than 24' long - that's the rule) RV up the very windy road to squeeze in a spot. Great central location. West end has Cottonwood campground, no hookups. Tons of backcountry / primitive camping spots in all three Big Bend "zones' - Chisos Mountains, in the desert, and at the river. It just depends on where you want to be and don't forget it's a BIG park, travel times are significant from one side to the other. The Chisos will be cooler than the desert, of course, and most camp sites require reservations and/or permit. As for "even if the Mrs doesn't agree". . . well, good luck with that! Happy wife, happy life as the saying goes.

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So taking my son and Brutus next month to Big Bend. Plan on doing the Black Gap 4x4 trail while there, among other things. Can't wait!

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
We leave for BB on Wednesday morning. Will try and post pics if we have a good connection.....can't wait!