DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
If we are talking Chrysler/Stellantis engineers, they too design the Mopar Performance CAI. Seems to me if you all say the stock was designed to be the best, why in the world would they go and design a Performance CAI too? 🤔 I'm sure it's all too do with a "fool and his money".

I personally like the Mopar Performance the best. Still has the stock lower box. Larger and smoother box lid. Keeps stock filter (easily find a filter at local auto parts). Removes the hemorrhoid looking air boxes on the inlet tubing. Increase the tubing diameter.
I don't think they make any horsepower claims on their own CAI. They do it because it sounds better and because there is a market for it. From the engineer: "With CAFE rules, we didn't leave anything on the table. If we could get more power or fuel efficiency out of an air intake, we absolutely would have."

I've offered this up a long time ago, probably in this very thread. If any vendor or manufacturer wants to send me a demo CAI, I'll get true dyno results and will post them up. I've heard nothing but crickets. My nephew owns 4Piston Racing and has a DynoMax. He has offered to baseline the Jeep and then run it again with the intake. It takes about 20 min to install one, so we'd run it in identical conditions. And his dyno is not one you can easily cheat, like many shops that sell and install these things do. The Pentastar engineer told me their budget for developing the air intake on that engine was many times what any of these aftermarket folks could ever afford and that they have nothing like the R&D tools they used. He totally scoffs at some of the claims out there. If I dyno one and see he's wrong, I'd be quick to show him. But I doubt he is.

Btw, I love Banks and his company and have no doubt they are getting the air flow they claim. But I don't believe it would translate into any significant HP gain, at all. I'm also not a fan of cloth filters in the dusty off-road conditions in which I often drive. One very nice feature of the Mopar CAI is that you can run a regular paper air filter in it when going off-road or if in a dusty environment. None of the others have that flexibility. It also is the only one with a hood cutout that directly feeds cold air. One other company (S&B?) has a hood scoop that can be made to feed directly into the air box. It's actually a pretty neat idea, but it has rain covers, so you'd have to put those on whenever it rains. No thanks.

Interestingly, Banks advertises more dirt holding capacity than others. Again, probably true. But that does not say anything about filtration efficiency. There isn't a cloth filter made, oiled or not, that filters well enough for dusty conditions, IMO. They can be ok for street Jeeps, though. But mine isn't always a street Jeep.

One thing they all probably do is make the engine sound great. I'd love to hear one with a manual/3.6. I've heard the people say the AEM sounds VERY good.
Sponsored

Highrever777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4 door JLU
Ran an s & b the last 6 months and just pulled it off... the drone/vibration under full throttle became annoying as hell. Had zero MPG increase and might have actually lost power. There is a youtube video for this intake showing before and after Dyno test and it DID lose a couple hp lol.

I tried adjusting filter and throttle body connections repeatedly.. adjustments would slightly affect vibration but it would always return...

Finally became fed up and reinstalled factory box with drop in k and n element....

I have installed many intakes in my life... this is first time I removed one.... Love the sound of JLT on my hellcat, had a haltech on vette before that, so I do appreciate increased sound...

For me, this was a $300 mistake, gonna have to craigs list it at reduced price as box is too big for a feasible shipping cost......

It was easy to install tho and I liked the plexiglass lid to easily see element condition...

OP
OP

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Ran an s & b the last 6 months and just pulled it off... the drone/vibration under full throttle became annoying as hell. Had zero MPG increase and might have actually lost power. There is a youtube video for this intake showing before and after Dyno test and it DID lose a couple hp lol.

I tried adjusting filter and throttle body connections repeatedly.. adjustments would slightly affect vibration but it would always return...

Finally became fed up and reinstalled factory box with drop in k and n element....

I have installed many intakes in my life... this is first time I removed one.... Love the sound of JLT on my hellcat, had a haltech on vette before that, so I do appreciate increased sound...

For me, this was a $300 mistake, gonna have to craigs list it at reduced price as box is too big for a feasible shipping cost......

It was easy to install tho and I liked the plexiglass lid to easily see element condition...
Good information. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a video of how it sounded after install?

Highrever777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4 door JLU
Good information. Thanks for sharing. Do you have a video of how it sounded after install?
No video, but actually had read of other folks having similar issues with this intake. I wanted to keep it on as I liked the look and the filter was visible through plexiglass.... plus it is a larger element and did look like it would move more air then stock....

I am guessing the sound baffle on the tube might have contributed to drone... maybe a bad design of the entire tube...

Ozionjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
No video, but actually had read of other folks having similar issues with this intake. I wanted to keep it on as I liked the look and the filter was visible through plexiglass.... plus it is a larger element and did look like it would move more air then stock....

I am guessing the sound baffle on the tube might have contributed to drone... maybe a bad design of the entire tube...
Thats interesting. Ive been running the CAI on my JL and have loved it. I don’t think i have that vibration problem or at least haven’t noticed it if i did.

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Banks is the best; Mopar if you want a sealed box. They both make a difference, the banks especially so mid range/up top.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR