Sponsored

Best radio antenna?

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
2nd the PlastiDip.
It looks great, it's durable and its padded in case the antenna hits the windshield frame. No interference to reception.

If you like the look of a really thick coating, pour PlastiDip into a 3/4" PVC pipe and repeatedly dip the antenna into it like you're making a candle the old fashioned way. Repeat until it's the thickness you want.
Sponsored

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Iā€™ve had no luck with aftermarket antennas, so went back to stock! The problem for me was cause of tree branches on trails and as other members pointed out Iā€™m afraid the stock antenna could hit the windshield and do damage, but purchased two smaller antenna from amazon and had to return both cause of poor reception. After reading the plastic dip suggestion @Reinen Iā€™m going to give this a shot

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
A copper core antenna will give you the best reception possible with a stubby. We use stubbies in both Jeeps, but we live in Florida without many ā€œdead receptionā€ areas. Because of the output power and antenna height of radio stations here, we detect no difference between the stock antenna and the stubbies. However, in more remote places of the country, and in areas with terrain masking, the stock one does have better reception.

The head unit also makes a difference. If it has signal-boosting technology, it mitigates the shorter length of a stubby.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I put about 3 coats of black plastidip on mine. Looks good and has held up for 2 years.
2nd the PlastiDip.
It looks great, it's durable and its padded in case the antenna hits the windshield frame. No interference to reception.

If you like the look of a really thick coating, pour PlastiDip into a 3/4" PVC pipe and repeatedly dip the antenna into it like you're making a candle the old fashioned way. Repeat until it's the thickness you want.
Thanks for this reminder. Plasti-dipping my antenna has been on my to-do list for months. I just moved it up to the top of the list!

Sponsored

Borderline Jeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Try the stock antenna for best reception. It is probably tuned for the length of wire to the head unit.

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
might get a 2018 JL Rubicon
My guess is you've never been in the wood with your jeep
We donā€™t all live near ā€œthe woodsā€.

I painted mine black. Shortening it wouldnā€™t make a difference as I have my dual-band radio antenna on the drivers side and itā€™s longer than my stock radio antenna. :D

Sponsored

wingnut60

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited
FWIWā€”after being told at a couple of larger drive-thru washes I shouldnā€™t go thru with the antenna because they have had cracked windshields, I carry a small wrench to remove, then replace. Takes less than a minute total.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same one. Works perfectly, looks factory and there is no real noticeable signal loss. Its a nice improvement as the black looks much better than the OEM silver one on most Jeeps.
Sponsored