Best Off Road Maps Apps

orangemachine

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
orange machine, i posted a question on best off road maps to use while off roading, and questioned about using garmin for off roading, still have not seen a reply, i was wondering if i posted something wrong or is another page used to see answers, i would also like to know cost of subscription for using giaia for off roads maps.
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

orangemachine

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
thanks, do the maps u use do they show trail ratings, im looking for moderate trails that are senic in nature, going to smokey mountains in june for 3 wks

J McK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Been studying this one pretty thoroughly & agree that GaiaGPS is the best overall app for trip planning & navigation - but not for finding trails. Using multiple layers in the GaiaGPS desktop app makes it easy to plan longer outings & the android app is great for navigation - and works well on phones or tablets. I haven't tried it yet - but you should also be able to use it on Uconnect via the Android Auto app instead of a separate tablet.

There is a great video on layers in GaiaGPS here (no affiliation):

This includes USFS Motor Vehicle Use, Public Land, Satellite, NPS Visitors and multiple topo overlays that you can add / subtract, fade, etc.

For trail hunting I use the online versions of Trails OffRoad & AllTrails. I actually like Trails OffRoad the best - but still find good trails on AllTrails that aren't in Trails OffRoad. As noted in other posts, TOR is synched directly to Gaia and AT allows you to download .gpx files that are easy to upload to Gaia. And yes - I am paying for top end subscriptions to all - but the cost of all of these is easily much less than one wasted trip ;). And new trail descriptions are being added all the time.

FWIW - I have also tried to work with OnXMaps. It has lots of trails you can check out - but very little information about them (especially compared to TOR & AT). And you can get even more detailed information about the same trails from Gaia. Also, OnX doesn't allow you to share trail info with other apps - which is the kiss of death for me.

Sponsored

ckuptz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
For trail hunting I use the online versions of Trails OffRoad & AllTrails. I actually like Trails OffRoad the best - but still find good trails on AllTrails that aren't in Trails OffRoad. As noted in other posts, TOR is synched directly to Gaia and AT allows you to download .gpx files that are easy to upload to Gaia. And yes - I am paying for top end subscriptions to all - but the cost of all of these is easily much less than one wasted trip ;). And new trail descriptions are being added all the time.
Another website that I use to find trails in AZ, CA, CO, NV, NM, SD, TX, and WY is jeeptheusa.com. Some of the trail reviews are old but all of the information, including the GPX files, are free.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I use Gaia with CarPlay and I run either oNx or the new Trailsoffroad app on my mounted phone. I keep the Carplay zoomed in on the trail and my phone zoomed out (I know i'm a dork).
The app from Trailsoffroad is pretty good and the base map looks suspiciously similar to Gaia. You can download the catalog of trails in your state in one shot. They don't have every trail mapped and rated but they still show on the map.
Gaia is the king of map layers and route planning if that's what you need.
Don't forget about Google maps either.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I’m kind of a GIS nerd and have used all kinds of stuff over the years. For work I use ArcMap Pro, which you do not want.

For recreational uses I think Gaia is hard to beat, especially now that you can link “all trails” pro to it. It allows you to download trails directly into Gaia. It’s hard to beat...as I already stated.
Whoa. That’s great news. Then does the All Trails app and tracking work through Apple CarPlay so you can see it staying on constantly through the Dashboard UConnect?

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
I use alltrails as well as Gaia to find trails and Gaia as the main display as it works with android auto so I can have it on my 8.4 nav screen

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
I’m kind of a GIS nerd and have used all kinds of stuff over the years. For work I use ArcMap Pro, which you do not want.

For recreational uses I think Gaia is hard to beat, especially now that you can link “all trails” pro to it. It allows you to download trails directly into Gaia. It’s hard to beat...as I already stated.
how do u link the 2? im new to both apps but have the pro for both

Sponsored

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I use Gaia GPS (paid subscription) because it is available across devices; plan on the home computer, use on the tablet in the Wrangler. Or, track on tablet and save on home computer. I have recently started using All Trails as a tool to find trails, and descriptions then download the GPX for use in Gaia GPS.
Just seeing this and wished All Trails had the Apple Car Play interface, but apparently now we can do this through Gaia. I have the Gaia app open but can’t seem to figure out how to import my All Trails maps downloaded to my iPhone. Could you post up a few screen shots? Or this only working for Android users?

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
how do u link the 2? im new to both apps but have the pro for both
I can’t figure out how to link them either. Does anyone know how to link Gaia and All Trails so you can see the All
trails app on the Gaia Car Play on the dash?

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Looking for feed back on the best off road apps out there. Specifically ones that do a good job with, Moab, Sand Hollow, California trails and Colorado trails.
iOS: Compass 55 Offline ESRI Satellite Imagery its 👌🏼

1614028373255.png
since we can pair our phone to uconnect, can we use downloaded map or guide and play it back through uconnect as if it were music, or something like that, I don't know enough about it to say that better...also...does the general pick for Gaia still hold true in my area (southern oregon)...in fact, would you say your opinion of Gaia holds true for US in general?

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
since we can pair our phone to uconnect, can we use downloaded map or guide and play it back through uconnect as if it were music, or something like that, I don't know enough about it to say that better...also...does the general pick for Gaia still hold true in my area (southern oregon)...in fact, would you say your opinion of Gaia holds true for US in general?
I already tried Gaia, and many others...

Compass 55 is not easy to use (Long learning curve), but it's the best, very reliable, and in the desert, there is no signal. So offline satellite view with choosable zoom is great! and the app it's just $9 one-time.
Sponsored