flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Already know that Plexus is the bees knees for cleaning plastic windows, and it is best applied with a microfiber cloth. That said, not all microfiber is created equal, and I scratched the Bestop windows on my old CJ-5 with some towels I got off of Amazon awhile back. I don't want to make that same mistake on my new JL, so just curious what everyone uses.
Sponsored

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The Rag Company has the best Microfiber towels you can buy. I do not have plastic windows I use “Dry me a River” I do not see that being an issue with your windows. If you are worried about scratching you can always go with a heavier more plus towel to clean.

the biggest key to microfiber towels is the proper care and maintenance of them. With my towels I use microfiber specific detergent and I wash warm to hot and I use low heat for drying. If you dry to hot it could Damage the microfibers and cause damage such as scratches.

shameless plug, but I have a promo code for the Rag company if you do decide to purchase. “Punkn15”:like:

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
i posted this in another thread:
on my previous wranglers... soft tops last much longer if you do not use soap on them. the high detergent stuff that car washes use will remove all the chemical treatments that protect your top from UV.​
just my opinion, but it's best to use only water on the soft tops.​
water and a soft brush is all you need for the top.​
on the plastic windows, water no brush no rubbing at all. only hose them and very very lightly swab with a soft sponge or cloth. again, no rubbing. mild soap is ok on the windows, but rubbing the grit is bad news.​

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Joe....don't be ashamed...the plug was super helpful, so MANY thanks for the recommendation AND the promo code. FWIW, I spoke directly with a customer service rep to see what they recommended for soft plastic windows. They advised that any 70/30 blend, such as the Edgeless 365 or Creature Edgeless would be best, so I went with the Creature because it was thicker at 420 gsm. Also got a bottle of the microfiber detergent too. I know that many here would think all this is extreme OCD, but after owning Jeeps and other convertibles with soft plastic windows, I can attest that proper care will extend their life and save lots of $$$ in the long run. Much appreciated!

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i posted this in another thread:
on my previous wranglers... soft tops last much longer if you do not use soap on them. the high detergent stuff that car washes use will remove all the chemical treatments that protect your top from UV.​
just my opinion, but it's best to use only water on the soft tops.​
water and a soft brush is all you need for the top.​
on the plastic windows, water no brush no rubbing at all. only hose them and very very lightly swab with a soft sponge or cloth. again, no rubbing. mild soap is ok on the windows, but rubbing the grit is bad news.​
Agree 100%...this is pretty much my procedure with a black denim Bestop Supertop on my CJ-5, and a black twill top on my wife's old convertible. Although both are garage kept, the Bestop is 21 years old, and the convertible top is over 25 years old...astonishing!

That said, I've noticed that lots of people in this forum recommend 303 products for soft tops, and I am always interested in anything that might improve their appearance and function. Unfortunately, I got a black diamond top for my JL, and it seems that all of the recommendations for 303 products are for twill. So far, I haven't been able to confirm what's best for black diamond, but as you and I discussed, perhaps it's just best to keep it simple and do what we've been doing for years with plain old water.

Sponsored

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for calling customer service so I didn't have to :like: Just ordered some of the creature ones too.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Rag Company has the best Microfiber towels you can buy. I do not have plastic windows I use “Dry me a River” I do not see that being an issue with your windows. If you are worried about scratching you can always go with a heavier more plus towel to clean.

the biggest key to microfiber towels is the proper care and maintenance of them. With my towels I use microfiber specific detergent and I wash warm to hot and I use low heat for drying. If you dry to hot it could Damage the microfibers and cause damage such as scratches.

shameless plug, but I have a promo code for the Rag company if you do decide to purchase. “Punkn15”:like:
Joe...just wanted to advise that your promo code didn't work. Perhaps expired? I went ahead with my purchase anyway, but thanks nonetheless!

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Joe...just wanted to advise that your promo code didn't work. Perhaps expired? I went ahead with my purchase anyway, but thanks nonetheless!
If you want send me your order number and I’ll message them and let them know. They just updated their website last week so it’s been a bit wonky

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you want send me your order number and I’ll message them and let them know. They just updated their website last week so it’s been a bit wonky
Not worth the trouble, but really appreciate it. After Rag Company's website didn't accept the code, I just switched over to Amazon and bought it all there, along with other things that were already in my cart. Just appreciate the great recommendation, and look forward to using them on my inbound JL....arriving next week (fingers crossed)!

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Not worth the trouble, but really appreciate it. After Rag Company's website didn't accept the code, I just switched over to Amazon and bought it all there, along with other things that were already in my cart. Just appreciate the great recommendation, and look forward to using them on my inbound JL....arriving next week (fingers crossed)!
No worries man just wanted to make sure you got a discount if you bought through then. Enjoy

stoowie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

Forget the microfiber get a shamois
Sponsored