Sponsored

Best black plastic trim restoration products?

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

If you spend enough time on the derailing Reddit boards you’ll see a lot of recommendations for Solution Finish. It works extremely well. I recommend using that and after a few days hit the areas with a good ceramic coat.
Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
My favorite! I literally just used this last weekend to restore my trim and the other black plastic and even my hard top. It seems to last about 1yr. Took me about 1hr to apply and the results are pretty impressive. I go over everything twice then a third time is just to wipe it all clean. Make sure you wear gloves as it'll stain your hands for about a week... don't ask!

Here's a couple of pics...

BEFORE: (look at bumper top and waves in fenders)
Jeep Wrangler JL Best black plastic trim restoration products? 1715075971425-vt

AFTER:
Jeep Wrangler JL Best black plastic trim restoration products? 1715076114827-4

Jeep Wrangler JL Best black plastic trim restoration products? 1715076196742-mm

vaJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
+1 for cerakote wipes

Sponsored

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I emailed Cerakote, having had success with it. I did have it occur to me about it wearing out eventually though.

Hello, I’ve used your product with great results before on faded plastic auto body parts. I’ve since traded that vehicle with a newer version that has the same plastic pieces. Due to application experience/mistakes made and me finding it difficult to remove and recoat, I have a question.

Cerakote lasts a certain amount of time when applied properly and based on the conditions it encounters. So eventually it will wear out so to speak. Is it possible to reapply with the same outstanding results or would one need to remove what’s left of the old coating first for best results? If so, how would it be removed?

If it cannot be removed with easy to moderate effort, would I then need to replace the plastic part to improve the aesthetics of the plastics on the vehicle?

Thanks for your attention.

Reply:

Good morning, Daniel –

Thank you for contacting our Technical Support team.

Great question! Yes, the product does eventually degrade over time from regular use/wash cycles.

However, because the coating is essentially a ceramic clearcoat, it does take quite some time – it’s considered more of a permanent restoration product due to the nature of it.

If/when you get to the point that the coating has degraded enough, there’s likely areas that are more severe than others…so, you’d want to still mechanically etch the entirety of the coated part(s) to prep them for re-application.

Unfortunately, this process can be more tedious as you’re likely dealing with textured plastics and getting into the textured pores can be challenging sometimes.

Finding something soft, but abrasive enough to remove the last of the coating while maintaining the plastic’s profile is difficult. We’ve found that a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser tends to work well when used in conjunction with a cleaning solvent.

Hopefully, this information is helpful. Please, let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Stavin Emigh

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
This is what I use, and it works well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Best black plastic trim restoration products? IMG_4593

hamiamham69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Sport
Depends on how badly the plastic is faded now. For severe fading I use Solution finish. They say it’s not a dye but something called carbon black and it’s a completely opaque black color going on. For stuff that is faded but not as bad I use something called Lithium Trim Cubes. As mentioned above you need to be very careful with the prep; basically strip the parts down to pure plastic with washes, IPA, etc. for the Lithium the application is more like painting vs just slapping something like Armorall on there that is only going to last a week…

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
might get a 2018 JL Rubicon
cerakote wipes didn't restore my faded fender, it only made it GLOSSY!

IMG_3142.jpeg

binhdong

First Name
Binh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392, 2022 Ford F250 Tremor
https://amzn.to/4drJsej

^ someone else pointed to this product in this thread but this product works wonders and is highly recommended by many professional detailers.

Sponsored

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I'm not familiar with these, but a quick search on Amazon resulted in this:

Cerakote Wipes on Amazon

Is this what you are referring to?
Yup. I think I use one wipe per side. I have painted fenders and metal bumpers, so that’s a bit less area to cover, but I do plastic trim around bumpers, trim on fenders, cowl, door handles, mirrors, window trim. One wipe goes a long way, try to spread lightly/evenly.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Cerakote is hands down the best looking and longest lasting.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Chuckster3

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door wrangler rubicon
Occupation
Journeyman machinist
Castle watermelon shine or cherry shine

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
I use aerospace 303 on the fenders and bumpers after every wash. I do not put it on the sidesteps. there is a noticeable difference in the color of the plastics over time.
Sponsored