Before you do a 5 wheel rotation...

sabharad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,
Just a friendly bit of advice to avoid a common issue.
Earlier this week while doing a 5-wheel rotation, I accidentally scratched the lens of my backup camera while putting the rear (spare) tire back on.
I've got 37's and they are quite heavy, so, totally my fault, but while searching through this forum and others, I've found that many people have done the exact same thing. Also, if you take your Jeep to a place like Discount Tire, etc., in their rush, to get as many vehicles done, they may do the same thing on accident.

So, my advice, before doing this, or taking it somewhere to be done, cover your camera lens.

See attached pic, you'll see how i'm going to start doing mine.

Hoping to save you some money!
Jeep Wrangler JL Before you do a 5 wheel rotation... IMG_9345
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@sabharad Good suggestion.

Yup spare is heavy and ackward... ...esp. a 37 ......easy to do damage to the vehicle or one's back, etc.

17 Gal totes are great to have around . Great to haul stuff around in the JL and also they come in very very handy on rotation day.

2 tote stacked, are just about the right height..... to get you lets say to hold the tire, to get it lined up, to save your back...

Jeep Wrangler JL Before you do a 5 wheel rotation... totes

OP
OP
sabharad

sabharad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@sabharad Good suggestion.

Yup spare is heavy and ackward... easy to do damage to the vehicle or one's back, etc.

17 Gal totes are great to have around . Great to haul stuff around in the JL and also they come in very very handy on rotation day.

2 totestacked, are just about the right height..... to get you lets say to hold the tire, to get it lined up, to save your back...

Jeep Wrangler JL Before you do a 5 wheel rotation... totes

Great idea, I was thinking about making a ramp out of wood to the perfect height so I can just roll the tire up, turn it, and slide it into place.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great idea, I was thinking about making a ramp out of wood to the perfect height so I can just roll the tire up, turn it, and slide it into place.
@sabharad

With the wheel on top of the totes, you have more control.

Once wheel is up on totes. you can relax... now, the 2 totes with the wheel up there are easily wiggled, moved around til you get aligned, etc..

Ramp will not be as user friendly lets say.

I'm 71 yo and can hoist a 37 up but I need a landing spot and a minute or 3 break/breather afterwards. 8-) The totes allow this. Totes are steady, lip on tote cover keeps wheel from rolling...

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I use my hydraulic cart to get my 38 aligned with the studs. One back surgery in '07 was enough....

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Before you do a 5 tire rotation, don't do that. When its time to buy tires you only need to buy 3 and you now have 4 spares.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Before you do a 5 tire rotation, don't do that. When its time to buy tires you only need to buy 3 and you now have 4 spares.
Assuming you continue to buy the same tires. Never mind storing them all. I’ll continue doing my 5 tire rotation and actually using all the rubber that I purchase.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am a big guy. The first time and just about every time I have had to pull my spare off and put it back on, I wonder how in the fuck do some of these people ever put their spare on and how are they ever going to do this out on the trail.

Heck I could see people stacking rocks just to get a tire back up on the axle while doing a tire change on the trail.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
I see the advantage here. This way don’t have to deal with the spare until you replace your tires. By this line of thinking, why not leave the spare alone all together. Then you’d have a good looking spare tire all the time and never have to bust your back or camera.
Trying to figure this out hurts my brain.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see the advantage here. This way don’t have to deal with the spare until you replace your tires. By this line of thinking, why not leave the spare alone all together. Then you’d have a good looking spare tire all the time and never have to bust your back or camera.
Trying to figure this out hurts my brain.
I've had a bunch of Wranglers over the years. I've never done a five tire rotation.

I understand the why's to do a 5 tire that people spew....such as ..... to save $ and such, but for me, I want a new tire as a spare.... a decent looking, unused spare....

I'd rather not fool with the spare when I do my rotations which is quite often as I drive many miles a year.

So, for me, only a 4 tire rotation. I do my own tire rotation. I do not use power tools in the process. IF, I had someone else do the rotations I would not allow power tools to be used in the process.

NO, I don't keep a vehicle long enough for the spare tire to dry rot.. 8-)

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
NO, I don't keep a vehicle long enough for the spare tire to dry rot.. 8-)
Unfortunately, I do. Got several spares now (4 different vehicles) where the spare, though new, is around 10 years old. One is more like 16 years old. Hope I never have to actually use that spare.............................

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
To get my heavy spare on in my garage, I balance it on my 3.5 ton floor jack. That plus the Mopar orange jack height adjustment is enough to get my tire nearly lined up with the Teraflex spare carrier. If I had to do it on the trail, I can probably get it done BUT would prefer some help, like when I helped a club member with his 37".

OP
OP
sabharad

sabharad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I use my hydraulic cart to get my 38 aligned with the studs. One back surgery in '07 was enough....
Which one do you use?
Sponsored