Beadlocks

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Bead-locks all the way, 28k miles and not a single problem. Plus swapping out tires anytime without the need for a shop is great.

WaX
Sponsored

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’m planning to use balancing beads so I don’t have to take them to a shop. I’m also leaning to Hutchinson Rock Monsters since they’re DOT approved. Bonus points for dual beadlock. My work means I deal with a lot of federal facilities and you never know what a smart/bored gate guard is going to notice. That’s the main reason for the attention to DOT approval.

At what point is anyone going to climb under a jeep with a flashlight, clean off the dried mud and look for an raised DOT stamp on the wheel. Which technically is not require on any wheel, The DOT marker is to verify that the wheel is confirmed to meet the size requirements of the manufacture stated specs.... However those sizes are always stamped on all wheels, so the DOT stamp is not required and not enforced, unless you are a commercial entity, trucker, or commercial trailers hauler.

A DOT stamp on a wheel changes nothing except costing the manufacture a federal fee to get a peace of paper in the form of a certificate...blah blah blah...

WaX

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I have been on the fence. By the way the Hutchinson Rock Monsters are sweet.
I ended up going with the Mopar beadlocks (ordered the other day)with the true beadlock ring. I like that I can run them either way (DOT rash ring or true beadlock ring). I like that there is a ring that can grind and if needed /desired replace for $100.

looking forward to airing down to under 10psi for the Pismo Dunes in CA...and other trail adventures.

It is my daily driver but I work from home so I only put on about 4,500 miles a year.So really not to worried about checking the bead lock bolts every 6 months.

FDCC1C05-E1F6-4E87-9C67-B1997AA149BB.jpeg

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
At what point is anyone going to climb under a jeep with a flashlight, clean off the dried mud and look for an raised DOT stamp on the wheel. Which technically is not require on any wheel, The DOT marker is to verify that the wheel is confirmed to meet the size requirements of the manufacture stated specs.... However those sizes are always stamped on all wheels, so the DOT stamp is not required and not enforced, unless you are a commercial entity, trucker, or commercial trailers hauler.

A DOT stamp on a wheel changes nothing except costing the manufacture a federal fee to get a peace of paper in the form of a certificate...blah blah blah...

WaX
99.99999999999% chance you’re right. But the couple hundred for Hutchinson vs something more traditional is worth avoiding the embarrassment to me.
If someone lives in a state where DOT certification is important I thought they might care too.

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Sponsored

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I have been on the fence. By the way the Hutchinson Rock Monsters are sweet.
I ended up going with the Mopar beadlocks (ordered the other day)with the true beadlock ring. I like that I can run them either way (DOT rash ring or true beadlock ring). I like that there is a ring that can grind and if needed /desired replace for $100.

looking forward to airing down to under 10psi for the Pismo Dunes in CA...and other trail adventures.

It is my daily driver but I work from home so I only put on about 4,500 miles a year.So really not to worried about checking the bead lock bolts every 6 months.

Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlocks 1616561991834
Check these out.. just came across them on another thread. I am getting them as well. Sweet!
https://www.apexdesignsusa.com/products/rapid-precision-valve

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Check these out.. just came across them on another thread. I am getting them as well. Sweet!
https://www.apexdesignsusa.com/products/rapid-precision-valve
Just bought these today from my local shop. Although I am still considering beadlocks, I think I’m going to wait a couple of months. Want to see what I really really like during my time at Jeep Beach. I’m sure there will be plenty to see over there. For now, I will be mounting my black rhinos on my 39 KM3s with the apex valves.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Just bought these today from my local shop. Although I am still considering beadlocks, I think I’m going to wait a couple of months. Want to see what I really really like during my time at Jeep Beach. I’m sure there will be plenty to see over there. For now, I will be mounting my black rhinos on my 39 KM3s with the apex valves.
Nice! What lift are you running for the 39’s . I have 37 BFG muds. Looking to go to 39’s.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have 48,000+ miles on bead lock wheels. ATX Slabs, the only thing I get is every once in a while, I need to re torque the bolts on the rings. I can tell when it needs to be done as I will start to lose air from a tire. it will be a gradual thing. Like 2 or 3 psi over a week or so. This has happened twice. So it is no real big deal considering the amount of abuse the wheels have taken. My rings are all scared up. I think that if I had been running normal wheels, they would be junk by now.

All 5 of my rings look similar to this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Beadlocks 1616582771482

As far as bead lock wheels go, I run ATX Slabs. They are a tough wheel.
My bud Gary runs KMC bead lock Machete and they have been a great wheel.
Bill Jeanie and Phil run Dirty Life bead locks. Phil has had one bolt in his beadlock ring break off. This had to be drilled and removed with an extractor tool.
Geoff had DV8 bead lock wheels. JUNK they are. The bolts kept breaking in the ring. Like 5 in a row on one wheel. Each wheel has had multiples bolts break in the ring. I lack the understanding on how this happens. Geoff put new grade 8 bolts in each wheel each time he had a broken bolt in a wheel and the bolts kept breaking.

Geoff switched to KMC wheels and no has zero issues.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Geoff had DV8 bead lock wheels. JUNK they are. The bolts kept breaking in the ring. Like 5 in a row on one wheel. Each wheel has had multiples bolts break in the ring. I lack the understanding on how this happens. Geoff put new grade 8 bolts in each wheel each time he had a broken bolt in a wheel and the bolts kept breaking.

Geoff switched to KMC wheels and no has zero issues.
Interesting, I've beaten the shit out of my DV8 beadlocks and part of me hopes that they break so I can buy something else, for no real reason other than I just want a slightly better brand. Nothing whatsoever about the DV8's performance has let me down, no issues with bolts backing out, no issues with bolts breaking, the aluminum rings have actually provided good protection to the bolt heads.

Like I said, if one breaks I won't hesitate to get something more attractive and higher quality like KMC or the like, but for now, these have held up very well to some pretty serious abuse.

Guess it's just more of a dice roll with the lower quality brands, I may have gotten lucky.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! What lift are you running for the 39’s . I have 37 BFG muds. Looking to go to 39’s.
The Metalclak Gamechanger 3.5"
They're going on sometime tomorrow. I'm hoping I don't need wheel spacers on these current black rhinos. But from what I recall, I believe they have -12 offset so most likely I will need them.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Interesting, I've beaten the shit out of my DV8 beadlocks and part of me hopes that they break so I can buy something else, for no real reason other than I just want a slightly better brand. Nothing whatsoever about the DV8's performance has let me down, no issues with bolts backing out, no issues with bolts breaking, the aluminum rings have actually provided good protection to the bolt heads.

Like I said, if one breaks I won't hesitate to get something more attractive and higher quality like KMC or the like, but for now, these have held up very well to some pretty serious abuse.

Guess it's just more of a dice roll with the lower quality brands, I may have gotten lucky.
Bead lock bolt heads breaking off without being knocked off on a rock is usually because of "coning", caused by running a tire with a real thick bead and no spacers. This causes the beadlock ring to put stress on the bolts in a direction they were not designed to withstand. You are probably just running a tire that fits your beadlocks correctly.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
The Metalclak Gamechanger 3.5"
They're going on sometime tomorrow. I'm hoping I don't need wheel spacers on these current black rhinos. But from what I recall, I believe they have -12 offset so most likely I will need them.
Thanks. If you could post a picture that would be great. On the lift what shocks and Ion the on road/freeway pretty good/smooth compared to stock or? Off road no problem and sweet I would assume.

I want to make that same move. It’s just. I got mine really tuned in and drives on road perfectly.. took some work. Thanks again

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. If you could post a picture that would be great. On the lift what shocks and Ion the on road/freeway pretty good/smooth compared to stock or? Off road no problem and sweet I would assume.

I want to make that same move. It’s just. I got mine really tuned in and drives on road perfectly.. took some work. Thanks again
Sure thing. I will post it tomorrow or Friday for sure. I am running the Rock Sport shocks that come with the MC lift. So far so good, the ride feels really smooth on and off road. When I am in the Dunes, it feels like I'm floating lol.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Bead lock bolt heads breaking off without being knocked off on a rock is usually because of "coning", caused by running a tire with a real thick bead and no spacers. This causes the beadlock ring to put stress on the bolts in a direction they were not designed to withstand. You are probably just running a tire that fits your beadlocks correctly.
Makes complete sense. Sounds like that type of failure isn't necessarily the fault of the manufacturer, but the user
Sponsored