Sponsored

battery drains every 12 hours

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
It should be, but it doesn't necessarily mean that's accurate. An alternator check is literally a stop at an Autozone, so you basically don't have to do much to verify everything is good.

cbrenthus has the right way to check everything....but it's more involved, especially if you don't already own a good multi meter.
When it comes to these types of threads, I assume the OP has a multimeter ;) So, lets put a step 0 before my step 1 and step 0 is "buy a multimeter" :D
Sponsored

Emmablaker

First Name
Emma
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
non
Probably the problem is with the generator of your car. The reason why your battery s discharging every twelve hours can be in the bad connection of the generator with the car. First of all, you will need to verify if the generator is working correctly and if it has a connection with the car battery. You can read on batterytools.net how to do it correctly. IF everything works alright, then the problem is in the battery. In this case, you will need to buy a new one or to recondition your old one if it is possible. IT will save you some money.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am chasing the same issue. I installed the Genesis Dual battery kit with G-Screen and notice that the batteries are usually disconnected in the morning and the starting battery is 12.1-12.4 volts. Two brand new Full River batteries. My parasitic drain is .3 amps with the batteries connected. (the solenoid is energized) and .09 amps with the solenoid off.

So Far I have removed every fuse and relay (one at a time while watching the DMM) to see if something is causing problems, but haven't found anything yet.

Please keep us informed if you find your issue.
Im lucky I guess, I’m running the Genesis system as well with 750 Full River batteries and most times after it’s parked for 10-12 hours the batteries are disconnected but my resting connected voltage even after being parked for a few days is 12.4-12.5 on the crank battery and my aux is 12.6 and when started EVIC display show 14+ for 30 mins or so and slo drops and after running for say 60-90 (Driving) it shows low 13’s

I know the Cole Hersee relay pulls some power and the solenoid pulls a lot but once it gets to 12.7 +/-.1 it disconnects but then the JL’s normal parasitic draw continues to pull it down some.

I do have some extra equipment connected to the aux but once it disconnects from the main it’s a moot issue and thankfully I don’t have any current elec shorts that I’m aware of and I do weekly charges on my batteries to keep them at peak charge.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Probably the problem is with the generator of your car. The reason why your battery s discharging every twelve hours can be in the bad connection of the generator with the car. First of all, you will need to verify if the generator is working correctly and if it has a connection with the car battery. You can read on batterytools.net how to do it correctly. IF everything works alright, then the problem is in the battery. In this case, you will need to buy a new one or to recondition your old one if it is possible. IT will save you some money.
I have done a down and dirty check on alternator output by disconnecting the IBS and then starting the jeep to see what voltage is thrown out to the crank battery, from my limited research by disconnecting the IBS this directs the alternator to full output or if you have the JSCAN app you can disconnect it that way and I have done both.

Sponsored

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
can you try changing your aux in the settings from "battery" to "ignition"
i have not tried on my jeep, but i have those settings in my ram 3500. you can program the aux switches to all be ignition instead of battery. then when you shut the car off, they cannot draw any current.

StardogGT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'96 Cobra, '04 F250 Diesel, '16 Focus ST, '21 JLUR
Same question. Any updates? Same problem. Except intermittent.

Old Jeeper

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Every single evening and ever single morning after my Jeep sits for 12 hours (after driving it for 45 minutes) either in the parking lot or the garage I have a completely dead battery. The battery is a brand new optima battery and I even just 2 days ago changed the auxiliary battery to a New Duralast platinum battery and it still drains after 12 hours. Somebody please help I don't know why or what to do and I'm afraid I'm gonna get racked over the coals at the dealership taking it in.
Been there done that 4 x and what a headache it was, took months to find the problem.

First of all its an Optima and I had that issue, battery drained only it did not take 1 2hrs. Turns out it was an internal drain or 'short' inside the battery. It was the last Optima I have ever owned, due to other frequent issues with Optimas.

Next 3x times it was a drain at the left rear taillight, the other time is was a bad ground under the hood. Last time it was a hot driver's electric window. It had been plugged in backward and was on all the time.

Each time above it was in a shop. On the last 3 when I asked the Mech how he found it, he told me take out a fuse and see if the battery drains, if it does then take out another one and another one till it does not drain anymore. Battery cannot drain if it does not get juice...

Batteries: https://www.odysseybattery.com/products/odx-agm34m/

I have one right now that is still in use on the ranch that is over 15 years old. Been using Odyssey for about 17 years, in my RVs, cars, trucks you name it, and never had one fail.

Sponsored

StardogGT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ended up being my Tazer. I had to do an update and it resolved the problem.
Interesting. I too have a tazer. But I updated it when I got it a month or two ago. 🤨

StardogGT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually I just looked and apparently I'm on an older version. And apparently the recent update keeps your battery from draining when you hit unlock 4x. Interesting.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Yep, I charged them before the install. This morning 12.5 volts and both batteries still connected. I drive the jeep just about every day, so Maybe it was doing this before I put in the dual battery set-up and I just didnt know it. Mine charges 14.4 volts at first but usually drops to 13.5ish for the duration of the drive.
This is normal for the Genesis system. The relay takes 300 milliamps of power to keep the batteries connected.

Genesis came out with a newer controller recently that addresses this.

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Good discussion. Does anyone know a good multimeter that comes with a instruction booklet? My last two did not come with an instructiion booklet. For us that are not savvy on multimeters. Thanks

F Cerioni

First Name
Fern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Ended up being my Tazer. I had to do an update and it resolved the problem.
I experienced the same issue with my 2018 JLU Sport, where I installed a Tazer JL Mini around a month ago. Even after replacing the Aux battery (the Main one showed good health when tested), I kept having depleted batteries overnight: I'll come next morning to see the EVIC, Cluster & Radio ON all night... Took the Tazer JL Mini out and for 5 days in a row no dead batteries.
I contacted Z Automotive via text last week (you can text them directly to 631-533-3363 ; texts only, no phone call to this number) and they replied fairly quickly.

Check your Tazer JL firmware version: if it is 11.3.7 it DOES have an issue that will drain your batteries. Update the Tazer to the latest version (11.4.1 now), and problem should go away.

Also, don't forget to follow the "Full Reboot + 2 Sleep Cycles" procedure carefully and completely!!

good luck
Sponsored